Sapphire 5870 Tested

Bosco

Your posts are clearly stating that nVidia has more market share than ATi... so yeah its sounding like your saying its the only thing avaiable and is larger than havok when its cleary is not. Havok spans a wide array of things where as physx is constrained only to a PC market. I don't know where you get your info about consoles supporting physx most of them only use software implementations of it if they use it at all whereas havox is hardware implemented on the consoles.

What really sucks is Batman Arkham Asylum got ruined by physx because nearly all the things rendered by it could have been handled by the CPU with little or no performance decrease... IMO PhysX is nothing more than a gimmick right now with very few titles supporting it and the fact that you need an nVidia GPU to run it which obvious ~25% of the market doesn't use. What made matters worse is nVidia shot its self in the foot by disallowing you to use their GPU physx just because you choose to use a different GPU. They did just cut off a large market base that they could have had if they hadn't made such a bad decision. In short PhysX is a minority and when havok gets not only CPU rendering but GPU rendering PhysX is going to have a hard time competing because its available on multiple platforms already where as PhysX is not. nVidia could have done better had they not made that one mistake. Many companies have already put their feet down on havok and have yet to be given an incentive to change over. AMD/ATi already had settled on their own Stream computing platform and we're not willing to accept PhysX because that would mean having to change to nVidias platform. Its very easy to accept a new platform when you don't have an existing one but its much harder to change to a new one when you already have one.

I will say please dont post lies, and please dont put any words in my mouth. None of your post here replied is true. I dont know why your making things up......

I would like to know what lies hes posting as I haven't seen anything to back up your points as of yet and he is posting valid sources for his. I would like to know why your making things up.

Edited by Compxpert

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont you know physx is software. When do we start refering to a software engine as hardware.

lol k

PhysX is software and hardware, just like a graphics card.

It's made up of drivers and the actual hardware in your machine.

Consoles DO NOT have the hardware to run PhysX (and neither do ATI cards).

Your argument means that if I install drivers for 200 products that I do not have in my computer, I can still use them.

Edited by tkrow21

Nowhere does it say either that it requires exclusive use of an nVidia GPU for use but that's 'The way its meant to be played' apparently.

lol it's like how devil may cry was bragging the whole install that "this game is optimized for nvidia" and "this game runs best on nvidia"....then my 4870 beats my 9800GX2 playing it :lol:, with the one set of drivers, it wouldn't even start up with the 9800GX2

I think tall the Physx talk needs its own thread TBH!

I agree, unfortunately physx has nothing to do with the 5870. I wish it did

Edited by IVIYTH0S

lol it's like how devil may cry was bragging the whole install that "this game is optimized for nvidia" and "this game runs best on nvidia"....then my 4870 beats my 9800GX2 playing it :lol:, with the one set of drivers, it wouldn't even start up with the 9800GX2

I agree, unfortunately physx has nothing to do with the 5870. I wish it did

Ditto on that. I think when I get Arkham Asylum I'm going to borrow one of my step dads 8800GTXs and take PhysX for a spin.

Edited by Compxpert

Is there a program out there where I can overclock this card higher than what CCC is allowing? 900/1300 is the limit and mine does that easily without heat issues. Maybe a Catalyst driver update will allow higher clocks.

Nice review by the way. Everything shown in your review is exactly what I received today from newegg. Packaging and accessories was identical.

Is there a program out there where I can overclock this card higher than what CCC is allowing? 900/1300 is the limit and mine does that easily without heat issues. Maybe a Catalyst driver update will allow higher clocks.

Nice review by the way. Everything shown in your review is exactly what I received today from newegg. Packaging and accessories was identical.

Rivatuner.

Ok, to sum it up and shut everyone up I believe I can sum up everyones opinions and mold them to what I know to be fact. Please no one take offence and move to the PhysX thread or the Cross Fire thread. :)

PhysX is a programming code that was developed by a small company called Agesis, most of you remember their attempt at a dedicated physics card. Later, nVidia purchased Agesis and pushed PhysX to a whole new level that Agesis wasn't able to reach by adapting the code to their drivers thus enabling their GPU's to run it. PhysX is open for any developer that wishes to use it as it can be molded to run on a CPU etc. as well, all it needs is the driver support of whatever hardware they plan to run PhysX on.

Havoc is a different code that can have similar results to PhysX, its major problem is the ease of use compared to PhysX. Both Havoc and PhysX are codes and protocols that can be adapted to various consoles/PC's/Phones/WebTablets/etc. thus both can be supported, though it depends on the game/application/etc. iteself as to which one is used since it would be stupid to program physics in two languages on the same application.

As such, GPU market share is nearly irrelevent since both codes can be molded to hardware other than a GPU. GPU's are the first pick since their processing power is far superior to any other chip within a system in most cases, but not the only pick.

On a different note, we must remember almost every other flagship launch when looking at these scores. Just like the 7800GTX to the 8800GTX, and the 9800GTX to the GTX 280, as well as the ATI side of things, there is ALWAYS a fairly large performance increase with each generations release compared to the last one. I will not say anything towards the mainstream cards, only the flagship models. But it really should come as no suprise that the 5870 blows the old stuff out of the water, it has happened every other release as well :P Either way, thank you for your support and enthusiasm on the topic but lets keep this forum on the 5870 :)

Edited by Geekspeak411