Sapphire 5870 Tested

Bosco

That's odd how the HD5870 is ahead of the HD4870X2 in many tests at low resolutions, and then loses at the higher ones. I was definitely expecting it to beat the 4870X2 since it has basically the same number of stream processors but in one package without the need for CrossfireX. Would only 1GB be a bottleneck for such a powerful GPU?

Look at FarCry 2, Crysis which it gets on par at 2560x1600, Call of Duty 5, Resident Evil 5 where it gets beaten in all resolutions, and Left 4 Dead.

I think the 2GB version might be worth it when it gets available. It could also help it get even closer to the GTX295...

I'd say that at 2560x1600, the 2GB is a pretty big advantage for such a powerful GPU.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say that at 2560x1600, the 2GB is a pretty big advantage for such a powerful GPU.

Yeah. If the reference 4870X2 has 2GB, I don't see why they did not provide 2GB to the Cypress XT...

Edit: Actually that's not true. See a few posts below.

Edited by The Smith

Nobody buys flagship cards to support an unused programming technology, they get them for the speed.

:ph34r:

ok as you wish sir , i hate when we argue about some thing

but please tell me : what do you mean with this ..?!!!

I'm agreeing with waco, your lack of comprehension is amazing :lol: Puck is saying that the 5870 is tearing up the only competition right now, regardless of the DX11 support.

Edited by damian

I think what will happen is nvidia will release the 300 series, which will be faster than the 5 series. But they may still fail since the production costs will most likely be very high, so even if they were to match ati's pricing, they would not be making any money. I'm pretty certain that the 300's wouldn't equal the 5series in price, performance, and efficiency but they'll probably come out with the usual nvidia mindset with muscles flexed and perhaps if they perform strongly enough, then ATI might have something to worry about. But I just think this might be ATI's time to shine, since they don't they seem to better at pacing themselves and developing technology that's affordable but still useful in a given time frame.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I think ATI has got the upper hand here. Nvidia was pretty much fighting off the 4xxx series with the semi-new 9xxx series before blowing them down with the GTX2xx series. Now that Nvidia has nothing, it looks like ATI can get pretty much most of the profit for these 6 months before evening out again.

I think ATi is keeping the 5850 up their sleeve as a price/performance winner if the #s hold true and it matches a GTX285 and costs $259. There's still the 5870x2 down the road and who knows if a 5890 and 5890x2 may follow nvidia's new releases. ATI looks to have set themselves up in a pretty good position. Now if they could just counter that whole PhysX problem. Working with developers and putting more emphasis on their drivers is going to be the real key here in my opinion.

I think ATi is keeping the 5850 up their sleeve as a price/performance winner if the #s hold true and it matches a GTX285 and costs $259. There's still the 5870x2 down the road and who knows if a 5890 and 5890x2 may follow nvidia's new releases. ATI looks to have set themselves up in a pretty good position. Now if they could just counter that whole PhysX problem. Working with developers and putting more emphasis on their drivers is going to be the real key here in my opinion.

I think ATI has something cooking with their drivers; they obviously know it's their biggest problem, and a bigger and bigger one.

What if all this time....ati has been holding back their drivers for a moment they really need them to work, in case where they can't beat nvidia....and then POOF they put out the drivers everyone expects them to and get's them back in the lead.

One can only dream....

....onto the something that could, should, or possible has happened

I did hear something about the 4870x2 having part of it's internal crossfire bridge limited or something, I wonder if they ever unlocked that. :unsure:

Edited by IVIYTH0S