Sapphire 5870 Tested

Bosco

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did hear something about the 4870x2 having part of it's internal crossfire bridge limited or something, I wonder if they ever unlocked that. :unsure:

The sideport access? It's disabled...don't really remember hearing anything about it past the initial "it's there but not active."

What if all this time....ati has been holding back their drivers for a moment they really need them to work, in case where they can't beat nvidia....and then POOF they put out the drivers everyone expects them to and get's them back in the lead.

One can only dream....

....onto the something that could, should, or possible has happened

I did hear something about the 4870x2 having part of it's internal crossfire bridge limited or something, I wonder if they ever unlocked that. :unsure:

Thats crazy talk, LoL.

The sideport access? It's disabled...don't really remember hearing anything about it past the initial "it's there but not active."

Yeah I wonder if it'd be beneficial to unlock that, or it would have been useless anyway.

Thats crazy talk, LoL.

lol, I know, just trying to stay optimistic :P. Though I've personally never had any issues with ati drivers like alot of people have, honestly probably the biggest driver nightmare I had was with the 9800GX2, where if I installed one set of drivers I could play a few games and then the newer set didn't let me play those games anymore but let me play other games I couldn't play lol. no matter what drivers I put on though, my friend's 8600gts ran circles around me in FarCry 2 :lol:. That was a buggy mutha

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Ati has a very good product, it looks like they can make a good profit from it. They dont have to have the performance crown (but they currently do!), they just need to offer a product that sells well at a profit. This is what they got, and they are right on schedule with it. I am impressed with the value, I really really am. I think they hit a homerun, a grand slam!!! but I do think Nvidia is working hard on a performance leader. But the cost will be up there for the 300 series. I just dont think its gonna be a game changer, Ati may pick up a small portion of the market, but i still think nvidia has seated themselves well and know have much support from developers, more and more every month.

As far as physics.

Nvidia is making good progress with physics, its not goin away any time soon. This shouldnt mean we have to wait for the 300 series cards or buy these bad as Nvidia cards, Not at all. Even the gtx285 struggles when doing heavy graphics and physics. It performs much much better with a second smaller card, along with 9600gt its a huge performance gain . So as physics advances more and more, its gonna be hard for a single card to keep up. I think that physics is for sure a case where its own discrete card is needed for best results.

You can add a card for physics even if you have ATI as a primary GPU. Its the best of both worlds, it sucks to have to use an older nvidia driver, but this shouldnt stop ppl from enjoying games to their fullest. I seen a 9600gt on ebay for less the 50 bucks!!!

ATI shouldnt have turned down the physics license offer. I imagine this is why nvidia tried to kill the use of physics with a non nvidia card installed in a system with their latest drivers. Its a shot in their own foot to try and prove to ATI is was a dumb move. You see by ATI refusing the license deal it made it much harder for nvidia to get the physics ball rolling. But i think we can all say that it finally is. But its dumb dumb move to boycott an ati owner from physics. We should keep alive the fact that the older drives work fin with an update to the physics by itself.

Edited by ocre

You see by ATI refusing the license deal it made it much harder for nvidia to get the physics ball rolling. But i think we can all say that it finally is. But its dumb dumb move to boycott an ati owner from physics. We should keep alive the fact that the older drives work fin with an update to the physics by itself.

That was the point... AMD supported its own Stream computing aptly named Stream.. as a requirement of PhysX you must support CUDA which AMD was not going to do. Once havok takes off with their OpenCL port nVidia might have some big competition considering havok has many more companies backing it... In short PhysX = HDDVD and havok = bluray.

Ati has a very good product, it looks like they can make a good profit from it. They dont have to have the performance crown (but they currently do!), they just need to offer a product that sells well at a profit. This is what they got, and they are right on schedule with it. I am impressed with the value, I really really am. I think they hit a homerun, a grand slam!!! but I do think Nvidia is working hard on a performance leader. But the cost will be up there for the 300 series. I just dont think its gonna be a game changer, Ati may pick up a small portion of the market, but i still think nvidia has seated themselves well and know have much support from developers, more and more every month.

As far as physics.

Nvidia is making good progress with physics, its not goin away any time soon. This shouldnt mean we have to wait for the 300 series cards or buy these bad as Nvidia cards, Not at all. Even the gtx285 struggles when doing heavy graphics and physics. It performs much much better with a second smaller card, along with 9600gt its a huge performance gain . So as physics advances more and more, its gonna be hard for a single card to keep up. I think that physics is for sure a case where its own discrete card is needed for best results.

You can add a card for physics even if you have ATI as a primary GPU. Its the best of both worlds, it sucks to have to use an older nvidia driver, but this shouldnt stop ppl from enjoying games to their fullest. I seen a 9600gt on ebay for less the 50 bucks!!!

ATI shouldnt have turned down the physics license offer. I imagine this is why nvidia tried to kill the use of physics with a non nvidia card installed in a system with their latest drivers. Its a shot in their own foot to try and prove to ATI is was a dumb move. You see by ATI refusing the license deal it made it much harder for nvidia to get the physics ball rolling. But i think we can all say that it finally is. But its dumb dumb move to boycott an ati owner from physics. We should keep alive the fact that the older drives work fin with an update to the physics by itself.

I'm running an ATI-NVphysx combo right now and it's awesome ($60 for an 8800GT from pezcore;))

I still think it's BS that you can't use the newer nvidia drivers (not that it will affect performance, since you can just update the physx seperately) but like....I bought and own the card, why not let me use it?? They can be pissed at ATI for not joining the physx team but that shouldn't mean us customers are screwed.

That was the point... AMD supported its own Stream computing aptly named Stream.. as a requirement of PhysX you must support CUDA which AMD was not going to do. Once havok takes off with their OpenCL port nVidia might have some big competition considering havok has many more companies backing it... In short PhysX = HDDVD and havok = bluray.

I hope it finally starts rolling, Physx gains more ground everyday since it's concrete.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

hmmm?????

sounds like wishful thinking!

Something has to give, i can say that much. I think physics has surpassed havok in many ways, developers are taking a liking to it. Also physics has been adopted to the consoles. Consoles alone drive the game market. How many big games are released only on the PC these days? Now those PC only games in the future may use Havok. Physics has a very good footing, I wouldnt be underestimating it. Console support is a big deal, if you dont think so your terribly mistaking.

So how can you say that? I mean at this point.

It is currently not released! It drops on Dec 11 so there was nothing to test with right now

i thought it was released , in the link it says :

ATI to include first DX11 game (Dirt 2) with Radeon HD 5870

that is why i thought it was released .....:)