Sapphire 5870 Tested

Bosco

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what the heck are you saying ,

He's saying that the 4870s are more expensive now...

i took a look on newegg , 4870 is becoming more expensive than 4890 ... :angry2:

...and you are too. I'm confused about how your post fits together into one thought. :lol:

Edited by Waco

...and you are too. I'm confused about how your post fits together into one thought. :lol:

Yeah lol. I really wonder what I am saying, HD4870 is getting more expensive when HD5870 comes out. Is there something wrong with that statement, is that how its supposed to be? :lol:

Last I heard they were shooting for 4th quarter 2009 / 1st quarter 2010...and I've heard nothing recently to suggest they are even close to release. :shrug:

I'm hoping that the two companies continue to flip/flop between who's fastest, it drives down prices for the current "second best." :P 6 months between would be fine with me. :D

I think thats about right, I know they were shooting for Xmas sales but i do believe they are behind. I am gonna say they might even do what they did last yr, remember when they sent out review samples and tried to convince ppl to wait until their GPUz were available, after Xmas.

I will disagree on you with the fact that everything Charlie said came true, its absolutely a false statement. Charlie has a way of taking some facts and a bunch of lies, then mixing them together in order to get attention. But overall most everything he says about nvidia is a doomsday load of crap. I can go back, way back, and show you many many many false things that never came to light. He usually cleverly integrates some truth into his article, but much of it is unfounded. Its like the fail rate in the engineering samples, I do believe that there was an issue, that they are held back, but i dont think for one second that nvidia is in that much trouble. look here is a quote:

"Nvidia couldn't even hit 2%, an order of magnitude worse than the most pessimistic estimate. Ouch. No, just sad. So sad that Nvidia doesn't deserve mocking, things have gone from funny to pathetic"

Nvidia isnt a dumb, newbie in the terms of GPUs. Their 300 series will perform. And most can agree it will outperform the 58XX series right from launch. I think ATI was a smart route, I know they are gonna be able to make much $$$ on this series. Look at the power usage, Its a good cost effective yet powerful designed GPU. Nvidias most likely are gonna be much bigger and perform better, but I just dont see them competing in the price range well.

I would be surprised if the 300 series doesnt. I mean really surprised. I believe nvidia was scared by the black eye ATI gave them with the 4870 and X2, loosing the crown. They take too much pride as "leaders" in the GPU market. And i think much effort was put into the 300 series to ensure that they remained leaders. This GPU will be a superb performer, but at what cost? Nvidia has lost much in the entire computer market and they are desperate to hold on to what little they have left. Their chipsets alone accounted for over 20% of their profits, just over 2 yrs ago. So its not a surprise that so much has been put into their gpu, visual computing movement. Its actually an attempt to evolve with the market, but at the same time they are trying to create a market that wasnt there.

all this is my interpretation, no one really knows but nvidia at this point

Edited by ocre

Its like the fail rate in the engineering samples, I do believe that there was an issue, that they are held back, but i dont think for one second that nvidia is in that much trouble. look here is a quote:

I don't think they are in trouble either...I was just saying that they weren't exactly on schedule. Assuming the yield numbers are true it's still not the end of anything, they'll just go back and fix it like every other time. :P

The GT300 will almost absolutely be faster than the 5870...but it's supposed to be a much larger and more power-hungry die as well. If they want to stay competitive it had better slaughter the 5870 so they can sell it high enough to maintain decent margins. :)

i was not expecting the jump that is all , and before i submit my post i did take a look ...

what is wrong with it wacky .....?

i haven`t seen any pci-e x8 board ....

but i think it runs better on pci-e 2.0 x16 so for cf x16 x16 will better for it , do not you think ..?

....:)

A lot of boards are PCIe x8 electrically when in Crossfire mode even through they have 16x physical slots.

Those rates listed are PCIe 2.0 speeds, so cut them in half for the equivalent PCIe 1.0 modes.

Edited by Waco