8800 GTS close to dying? (URGENT)

reddot

didja try the card in your machine??

could be a bad slot :shrug:

Sounds reasonable, my HP's mobo decided to do the same thing, except it was with the Ram slots, always gotta pop the mem out and in before ya start it up :lol:

I would say its only the new HP's that have issues, my old Pentium 3 HP never had any problems, but my "new" one that I got for like 1.2k 2-3 years ago, gave up after 2.5 years, well the memory slots did anyways...

Woah guys... I just looked at the screenshot... the lines are not there!

So when I take a screenshot, the lines are not present! Does that mean the GPU is fine and it is in-fact the PCI slot on the mobo?

Can anyone confirm that?

(i did try multiple monitors, same "lines"

How do you Figure its the PCI slot if the lines are not there when you take a screen shot???

Thats EARLIER in the chain. The problem must lie LATER. Perhaps just before the signal is passed to the monitor, but AFTER the point where the SS is taken.

Just put the card in your computer, if it does the same there its toast.

Just to make sure, put YOUR card in his machine, and see if that works. You really are making this significantly harder than it needs to be.

I had a similar problem with a Palit ATI Radeon HD 4850 Sonic Edition. I got red lines on the screen, due to the video RAM being clocked to high, though it was factory overclocked and was already a problem no matter where I put the clocks to. Upon taking a screenshot, it didn't show up. The only thing that did was my normal desktop. The lines would not appear for everyone else looking at my screenshot.

So personally, I'm voting on bad video RAM on the GPU. It could be a bad PCI slot I suppose, but I'm still saying the card's RAM is the issue.

Just put the card in your computer, if it does the same there its toast.

Just to make sure, put YOUR card in his machine, and see if that works. You really are making this significantly harder than it needs to be.

:withstupid:

:withstupid:

it's pretty likely to be a damaged card, but you should start simple. tried using a different DVI cable for example?

Well, when a screen shot is captured the raw data of whatever was intended to be displayed on your monitor is put into an image file within Paint (maybe not paint, but it's just an example). However, this image isn't corrupted on other people's displays because their video card isn't malfunctioning. There's nothing wrong with the image file, or their video cards, so they don't see the problem.

I hope that made some sense

HDD (Data's fine) -> Southbridge, CPU, etc. (Data's fine) -> Video Card (Corrupted) -> Monitor (Corrupted)

Edited by ekiM