8800 GTS close to dying? (URGENT)

reddot

Hey guys,

My friend's Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS is close to dying. Upon start up I get weird symbols. Eventually it boots into the OS (vista)

Desktop looks like this -> http://i28.tinypic.com/30u4xed.jpg

The lines are present (however in different location) when I'm not booted into the OS, so its probably a bad card now.

Still, maybe some of you can suggest to me anything?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I told my friend to search for a new card.

is it overclocked ..................?

It is the basic factory version of the card.

He bought the HP Pavillion m9080n, here's the link to the model -> http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-M9080N-Desk...e/dp/B000VU1JHC

Nothing in his PC is overclocked and he says that his whole screen shut off when he was watching YouTube. He wasn't gaming for the last month.

PC Specs:

3GB RAM,

Q6600

8800 GTS

540watt psu (or 450 whichever one is factory supplied).

i can see any psu info ,

any way is the fan working normally .......?

if it works fine i think there is some thing wrong with the card.......

may be the dvi port ..... :unsure:

yes i forgot the drivers .........thanks krazyxazn...................

Edited by N.E.A

was that 8800GTS purchased seperately from the rest of the computer??

he said it was part of the pc when his friend bought it , look at the link , it says nvidia 8800 gts

if it was xfx or evga then it would have been easy to solve the problem........................

Hello guys, a quick update.

The driver removal (with driver sweeper, reboot, installation of latest nvidia drivers did not fix anything). And I actually am sure its not the drivers now, as I've got the lines right upon start up (across the HP logo etc.) so it is hardware.

Anyone knows if there is a way to fix up the card or I can call it dead, as once the lines start to appear, it is pretty much a "gg"?

And thanks to everyone who already replied/will reply.

I believe he bought that about a 1 or 2 ago for 1900$. I personally recommended getting a computer from me, but he believes that the big companies do a better job (he really is new to computer world). Now he is changing his mind though, so I'll be putting his rig together next time.

I finally got his computer at my home so I decided to take it apart, clean the dust, dry it and run again. The same lines appear. Both DVI ports show the lines, tried 2 monitors, 2 PSUs.

I am thinking that his card is dead and there is no way of fixing it. The 1 year warranty has already expired.

Another thing, do you guys think I can use that card for physX on my main rig?

I believe he bought that about a 1 or 2 ago for 1900$. I personally recommended getting a computer from me, but he believes that the big companies do a better job (he really is new to computer world). Now he is changing his mind though, so I'll be putting his rig together next time.

I finally got his computer at my home so I decided to take it apart, clean the dust, dry it and run again. The same lines appear. Both DVI ports show the lines, tried 2 monitors, 2 PSUs.

I am thinking that his card is dead and there is no way of fixing it. The 1 year warranty has already expired.

Another thing, do you guys think I can use that card for physX on my main rig?

didja try the card in your machine??

could be a bad slot :shrug:

Edited by IVIYTH0S