One weird cooling idea..for the hot systems

I dont like water cooling...leaked all over once...so now im exploring a new idea

My room is hot when I am running games on my

phenom II x4 945 and radeon 4890

Its kinda unbearable...So to cool these down im installing a ducting system! I decided to go with 3 inch dryer duct.What I am going to do is attach the duct to all the outtakes on my case and tie it into one central duct...Then have the main central duct carry the heat over to the window(there will be splits in the duct, where fans will be installed along the way to help carry the hot air to the end)where it will be attached to 2 200mm exhaust fans which i mounted to cardboard so I dont loose any cool a/c air and they will carry all that nasty heat out my window.

Basically it goes like this

HOT outtake air>2x rear exhaust fans

2x rear exhaust fans >duct

power supply fan>80mm fan>duct

Then those two small sections of ducting will splice into my main one which will head out to the window then ultimately expelling the hot air outside my room thus cooling my house! two 80mm fans will accelerate the air more down the ducting before the 2x 200mm fans

Ill post pics as soon as I get it completed which will most likely be tommorow..and ill let you know my temps...

Edit..forgot to duct the outtake on the radeon...ill do it just like the exhaust and ps

Edited by mikeswaid

Sounds interesting. Be careful with the ducting if it is the aluminum type, as it is conductive and putting it in the wrong place could be bad :)

I've used water for about 2 and a half years now with no leaks. I tested it for 48 hours with ground up dry dye sprinkled at the bottom of the case with white tissue paper over it and saw no drips (wetness on the tissue paper would cause bright spots from the dye). Clamps in the right spot do well.

Aside from that, I'd be anxious to see the end product and how clean it looks. If not so much clean, ghetto mod nominee!

So, all of the ducts are just exhausts? I understand you want to cool your house down but why not add one or two ducted intakes as well? Just a thought.

Edited by airman

Yeah stick a duct in front of your ac to inlet air into your pc.

If you have a window AC unit, this is not a good idea, as it could introduce condensation (aka. water) into your case, and you certainly don't want that.

I don't think it make your room any cooler, all you will be doing is trying to cool down one heat source (pc) while letting the room itself get warmer.

By cooling it with air warmed by the pc heat. The only way you can get it cooler is by bringing in more cold air.

Adding a window unit to cool the room will also cool down the pc. The pc fans will be pushing colder air in ,so air air coming out will be

cooler. If the room where an ice box the pc would not get hot inside . Thats my 2 cents, I still have one penny left, who wants it ?

Having said this before, I'll say it again...

If you use an air conditioner as a source of cold air, the only place you would have to worry about getting condensation is water running down the duct from the AC...with that said, the condenser coils are usually on the OUTSIDE of the house, with appropriate drains.

Condensation works like this: Air with moderate to high moisture content comes in contact with a lower (that the air) temperature surface...below the dew point, and it may condense. Unless you have super-saturated air (not happening), this is the ONLY way for gaseous H20 to condense.

How this is different from something like LN2, DICE, or phase is that those are ALL well under ambient air temperatures, which water can cause water to readily condense.

Just FYI ;)