Need Suggestions for New Car

Kash

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I had to choose between a used BMW and a new Hyundai for the same price, I don't care how nice the Hyundai is :lol:

If I wanted a car that would last I would choose the Hyundai (without any badges on it). :lol:

Haha, nice save.

The thing is that I don't know how long I'll be keeping this car. Could be two years, could be five. Regardless, long term reliability isn't exactly a top priority at the moment.

Mercedes is definately the way to go, when I compare MB to BMW its like comparing a corvette to a corolla. I dont know how welll the Beamers are built over there but the ones we have here really suck. If a MB is too pricy for you then check out Lexus as they're made by Toyota which IS the longest lasting vehicle you can buy for the money they have minimal problems and last a very long time. Really what it boils down to is what you personally want but I'd go with a Benz. I promise you if you buy one you wont regret it and you'll never go back to anything else. PLUS you only need to have the oil changed in them every twelve thousand miles, no kidding.

MB,i am happy to see somebody is a BENZ man,And yes Benz is the way to go but it costs a bit more than BMW.Benz has got its own style BUT ALL CARS HAVE PROBLEMS,The older ones they are really best like W201,W123,W124,W140,R129 and really hands down to W126(Saudi shakes cant be wrong :D ),this in my opinion is the best S class ever made,even now its the S class i would go for,its briliant,holds miles like a horse.But something has gone wrong with the W220 and the upper models they broke down a lot in the first series,lot of electrical problems.Old Benzes petrols or diesels were and are indestructible,A taxi driver here has done 2000000 km with just oil and filter change on an W201.Our W123 was still going strong before 2 years,and you could repair just about anything at home in the garage ;)

But the new Benzes are a whole different story for me ,my mother used to drive a W168 a lot of breakdowns,engine head,transmission,suspension about 4 fatal total,W211 problems with starting/electronics...Every car has problems be it a Benz or BMW or whatever.You can be the unlucky one who gets the bad piece.Anyways BMW is a bit more sporty,on the diesel side right now they have better engines,but if i would go for an uber limousine i would go with the S class(all/most millionaires still do) it just has a better tradition than 7/A8 but you pay the extra for it,but when inside you cant really tell which one is better ,they ale have all the modern gadgets,all are good preforming,all are super luxury its only a matter of personal preference and for the price the 7 comes better.I know people that stay with Benz for they life and yet know people who changed to BMW from MB instead.

Benzes(even used are more expensive than comparable BMWs,they seem to hold their price pretty well)

@l33t, the E65 and beyond 7 series is fugly beyond belief! Now if it were an E38 or E38 facelift, hell yea! Those are about the sweetest BMWs ever built :)

@SAJBAMA, where do you live? France? The E30 M3.... it really is a dream car, although it's years old! :)

Oh yes E38 is the nicest 7 made,reminds me of the Transporter,i like the old beemers a lot more than the new one,simply love the shark nose ones like e21,e28,e24,e32,e23,e34,e30 and the is e38 is the last one of those proper beemers atleast for me,The E65 probably did more for sales at MERC than it did for BMW :lol: Our government(President,Prime Minister,everybody higher ranked) used to drive e38 7 for about 10 years,now they moved to AUDI so those cars have been given to the State,I saw an e38 750il cop car yesterday :blink:

@kingdingeling I live in Slovakia thats like nowhere,theoretically in the center of europe,The E30 M3 is really dream car,years old but without it there would have been no M3s,Its not that it won DTM that makes it special,not the ride or the engine its the fact that it set some sort of a pattern,tradition how the newer M3s should be made and thats the fact that makes it special

Show me a 7 series that was built in the last couple of years with a "couple of miles" on it and under $35k and I'll buy it right now.

I could get a E38 under 60000 miles 740d for about 12000€ there is plenty to choose,those things last ages i would probably pick even a car above 100k miles

Or an under 60000 miles 750il!!! for about 10000€,or an e65 facelift 750 Li for 25000-30000€22000-26000€ for non long versions 740i/750i

You must be able to pickup a decent 7 for under 35k in the US too,in a 7 diesel is more sensible but the 740i/750i last ages,as for a seven go rather with a e38 than a e65,e38 is the proper BMW.

get a used audi A6 around a 2005 or 2006 very nice car try to find the 3.0 version. very nice and fun im looking at a 2002 with 50,000 miles right now for 10,000 grand fully loaded very nice. also you might want to think about repair cost. do you do your own basic work like water pump and alternator and other small things. if so check at your local repair shop and see how much the common things are. also if you get a used car under 2007 i would go for a loan lower then 3 years since who wants to make a five year payment on a car older then 07.

Edited by capthowdy575

SAJBAMA, while the E38 is as sweet a car as I can think, my dads old one didn't quite last as long. He used to drive an E32 730i, which burnt down for reasons BMW was never able to find out, so they gave us 30% on our next BMW, which we gladly took! He got a 740i Long Version E38 with all the bells and whistles and we all loved it! That engine.... :wub: The engineer who built it didn't want the power, he wanted to be able to put a coin on it's side on the head and then rev it without the coin falling over, and he succeeded! Anyways, after 328,768 kilometer, the transmission (Automatic) was cooked, so we sold it off. Until then, we had little to no problems with the car :)

I would buy a BMW / Audi / whatever before I buy a Benz, I think Benzs are for people who are wealthy and really want to show it. I really dislike the image associated with them. Anyways, it's up to personal preference :)

welll all i can say is i see a very even number of BMW's and MB's come into my shop and nine times out of ten then Beamer has at least two diff oil leaks and i'm talking about 05 and newer cars mainly with less then 100K miles on it and the mercedes hardly EVER come in for repair, mainly maint. services or tires, alignment etc. I will also say Hyundai are actually good vehicles and parts are fairly cheap for them so i would recommend them but I still say if you cant afford a MB get a toyota or Lexus and you wont have to worry about anything.