Need Suggestions for New Car

Kash

The transmission on Lincoln LS has bit the dust. I'm getting it checked out by a mechanic tomorrow to determine how much it'll cost, but it's very likely that it'll end up costing quite a bit. I figure that's money better spent on a down payment for a new car. I've had the car for seven years, so it's about time for a change anyway.

I did a bit of shopping around today, went to some dealers. However, I haven't really paid much attention to cars in years, so I have no clue what's out there. I'm asking for advice on what type of cars out there I would be able to get, new or used, for under $35,000.

Just to start out, I visited a couple of dealerships today. At the BMW dealership today I found a really nice 2006 525i for a pretty good deal. I also checked out the Dodge Charger and found good deals on both new and used models. To be honest, I was really taken by the Dodge Challenger, though I don't really see it as a practical option.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you a horse or torque boy? For that sort of cash, you can easily get gasoline performance from a large diesel BMW. Their in-line 6 diesel is seriously good, as is the Audi/Volkswagen 6 cylinder. Great economy, bags of torque and perfect for an all-round situation to be honest.

Just don't bother buying new ... but then you knew that already :)

With $35k you can get damn near anything. Do you need a back seat? I assume you want something sporty given your choices so far but at that price point you can pretty much pick whatever you want.

Diesel Beemers,the 3 liter is awesome lots of torque,does 0-60 in less than 7,and the fuel economy is perfect average about 42-48 mpg.

For the money you can pickup a sporty 3 series(even coupe) or a 5 series or even a 7.Its all up to you but all of them pack a punch.

On the German AUTOBAHN we were able to keep up with just everything in a 730d even porsches and lambos.

My dad used to drive a 535i it was a serious performance car lots of revs but compared to a diesel 5 now its far more sensible to buy a diesel now,even though

the price for a liter of fuel here in Europe is the same as your price for a gallon in the US :D

The same goes with a 330d its a lot lighter and drives fantastically or 530d which is super comfortable and very pleasant to drive,they are very good cars,sporty and the performance is good smokes about anything on the road for reasonable price and running costs.Its only on you to choose what you need/what you want but you cant go wrong with any of them

There you go. Can't just be me that thinks the diesel 3.0 is a decent consideration. Much quieter than you might think as well ;)

While it doesn't look 'that quick' to 60 mph on paper, check out the specs for in-gear acceleration from 30-60 in top gear compared to a faster petrol car. You might be surprised. It's the sort of engine that makes overtaking an absolute dream.

And that's coming from a BMW hater :)

I should probably explain my driving habits first. I drive about 5-10 miles a day to and from school. Once work starts next month, add in another 15 miles to that per day. So I don't drive often, and wherever I do drive, I don't need to get there too quick. Thus, I don't need something sporty or really fast. I'm at that point in life where I just want a nice and comfortable car. Hence why I opted out of looking at BMWs with the Sports Package, I simply don't enjoy the stiff ride.

I prefer a car with a back seat. I need to be able to haul people around, so coupes are out of the question. I compared the 3 and 5 series and I really prefer the 5 as it's roomier (plus, practically everybody has a 3, so trying to break away from the pack a bit here, hence why I initially went with a Charger, which practically nobody has around here). Also, since I'm not on the road often, regular gasoline will do me just fine. I know all about the benefits of diesel, but it's just easier for me to stick with regular gasoline.

The BMW 5-series is as solid a car as I have seen, the 3.0i (non-diesel) is one of the best engines ever made by BMW. The 2.5i is already great, so depending on the prices for those rides where you live, I'd go for either of those. BMW straight Sixes are fantastic motors! I just finished reading a German car magazine where they tested a BMW 130i for 100,000km (60,000 miles) and then took the whole thing apart (like completely apart), where it turned out that the engine was practically brand new. Those things are built to last! :)

Other than that, I'd also check out the Audi A4 / A6, where I particularly like the A6 Avant. But then again, looks are subjective, I love it, you might hate it. The 3.0 TFSI is a motor that can only be described by one word: amazing! But then again it's also a bit expensive, the 2.8 FSI is a nice alternative :) In my opinion, the Volkswagen models (Passat) look a bit bleak, so I wouldn't get one.

Whatever you get, be sure to post some pictures :)

In which case, the 3.0 petrol BMW 5 Series or Audi A6 would be ideal then. Big lazy engine, loads of room, comfortable. But expensive to maintain and service for you I guess in the US.

I quite liked the Lincoln Town Car when I was being driven about while working in the US. Probably quite expensive though.

We went by the Audi dealership today for my friend, who is looking to purchase the S5. The dealership was closed by the time we got there, so we only got a look at the cars sitting outside. I'll definitely Audi on my list of cars to check out.

Lincoln Town Car is nice, but that's a tad bit too comfortable :P

We went by the Audi dealership today for my friend, who is looking to purchase the S5. The dealership was closed by the time we got there, so we only got a look at the cars sitting outside. I'll definitely Audi on my list of cars to check out.

Lincoln Town Car is nice, but that's a tad bit too comfortable :P

The S5 is quite nice, but limited rear room. Not that you are looking for one yourself, but they are nice cars either way. Like an A4 coupe really. Speaking of which, if everyone has a 3-series, the A4 S-Line is worth a look. It's got the nice features, but you can get the S-Line pack without the harsh ride of the S4 etc.

I personally wouldn't get something like this while I was still a student, but then again, I never had this sort of money to throw at a car until I got my graduate job. It's quite satisfying laying out