whats the deal with dual gigabit lan?

mgsmid

Quad gigabit LAN??? Why? Who honestly needs that? The average person who buys that board will use it in a home setting and will never use that. I've got dual gigabit ports and still only use one...

You can merge the LAN connections on your mobo to give you greater bandwidth, it's called teaming I believe it reduces latency in gaming for example.

Edited by smduff

Saves you money if you're looking for the something that replaces a router in that you can have multiple computers online at once. Only downside is that you need to have the computer on for the others to work.

Please tell me more about this.

i need knowledge on this teaming thing lol - enlighten me :)

This was designed for the server environment but now showing up on desktop boards....

Wikipedia defined here

Edited by uneedav8

here's the thing about teaming: It will be benificial ONLY if you are saturating the current gigabit port during file transfers. Being 100mb/s, it's hard to come anywhere close to the bandwidth available on one port. The only way it would be useful would be if you are running a server with many workstations needing to access files from that box.

So as stated above, the only really good use for that 2nd port is to configure a shared internet connection with another computer that would connect to it. And then, the box with the ports would have to be on for the other to be connected to the internet. So IMO, dual gigabit is a gimmick and is very unnecessary.

Edited by slngsht