Project: Income Tax Ftw!!

philbrown23

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just depends on what you are trying to do. The rig you have looks good to me...

:withstupid:

I started hitting "quote" on every post I agreed with but after the fifth or so I figured my post would be too big so I think the first one will suffice.

If you can truly bench at over 4Ghz on your Q6600, then upgrading is silly. Very silly. That's a whole lot of money for basically no performance gain. Whatever you build will be a lateral "upgrade" at best. Most likely it will actually turn out to be a downgrade.

If you need a second rig for folding and such, why not just build a cheap dual core rig and slap a few 8800gt's in there? A few CUDA-capable gpus will stomp just about anything these days.

check the 775 competition thread Theres benches of my quad at 4.2GHZ. I want 2 strong rigs not a crappy one and a good one.

That's fair, I guess. But if that's the case then your mistake was titling this an "upgrade". You're not "upgrading" your rig, you're adding another one and the current one doesn't really come into play at all.

I still don't really understand the need for two top end systems though. You said you want one for gaming and one for folding. I stand by my suggestion if that's the case. Your existing rig will game just as well as the builds you listed in this thread. At most, I would upgrade the graphics and keep everything else. Then if you're looking for folding points on your new rig, i7 is a rather poor $/ppd decision. You're MUCH better off buying a cheap dual core and a board with a few PCIe slots and just slapping 8800gt's in there.

It sounds to me like you're more excited about just blowing your return on something expensive than your are about actually building a system to meet your needs.

Phil. Where on Earth does all this money come from? Are you growing it, or printing it? :blink:

I do have a money tree I planted out back ;). What do you guys think of the Phenom 2? Been thinkin about that alot lately to

I do have a money tree I planted out back ;). What do you guys think of the Phenom 2? Been thinkin about that alot lately to

I'm biased but i like it. If i had the money i'd go core i7, but my second is the phenom 2. I'd wait for the am3 socket ones though.

Phil. Where on Earth does all this money come from? Are you growing it, or printing it? :blink:

From what the title of this thread says, I'm assuming it's his income tax refund.