Project: Income Tax Ftw!!

philbrown23

ok so I need some major help. Im going for a new build.

for starters heres what I have.

Intel Q6600 VID: 1.215v good for 4.2GHZ benching

Maximus 2 Formula

4GB Tracer REDS

2X HD4850 512 visiontek

Ultra X3 1000w psu

Rocketfish

my dilema is:

should I get

1: Q9650

2Xhd4870 1GB

and a new kick . case

or

2: i7920

2X 9800GX2

DFI LP X58

??? I'm kinda thinking keep 775 till P55 comes out

Plus this rocketfish kinda pisses me off Whatcha think guys?!?!? Please dont say i7 just cuz it's new cuz that means nothing to me I know the 9650 will clock just as high or higher than the i7 920 so thats not an issue please help and give supporting reasons

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

neither looks too appealing to me really. Going from a q6600 that hits 4ghz+ to a q9650 is silly. Going to a whole new buiild for a i7 setup is kinda silly too but would see better results than simply the q9650.

As far as video card don't get a 9800gx2. Go either with a 4870x2 or a GTX260/280/295. Anything else isn't as good as what you have now.

If it were me I'd stick with the q6600 a bit longer.

neither looks too appealing to me really. Going from a q6600 that hits 4ghz+ to a q9650 is silly. Going to a whole new buiild for a i7 setup is kinda silly too but would see better results than simply the q9650.

As far as video card don't get a 9800gx2. Go either with a 4870x2 or a GTX260/280/295. Anything else isn't as good as what you have now.

If it were me I'd stick with the q6600 a bit longer.

you'd gain about 10% clock-per-clock going to the 45nm c2q, but a q6600 with a vid that low and that high of an oc is a good chip.

i7 blows c2q out of the water though. If your not upgrading for anything in particular, then go i7. if money is an issue then get a new card. that q6600 has life in it. otherwise a 9550 will overclock just as good and be cheaper to boot.

Option 3: Save the money?

Other than that, I agree with RR.

I agree... also I would wait on getting a new vid for a little while longer.. I've heard rumors about some new stuff that realy raise the bar on performance due out in the next couple of months..

I don't get why you would even upgrade your current setup. If you were like wanting to go from a dual to a quad setup, that would be kind of understandable. From looking at your setup there is really nothing worth upgrading to see a huge performance difference.