Artic Silver Or Ceramique?

polabear

Hello all,

I'm curious as to which thermal solution is best for heat transfer on the CPU. Artic Silver 5 or Ceramique? Suggestions? :)

I use AS5... it's great. I've never tried ceramic. I'd only use Ceramic on like chipset heatsink that I don't plan on taking off very often, since (IIRC) it sets more solid that AS5. AS5 doesn't bind... so it's nice in that manner.

If you search the net for "thermal compound roundup", there are any number of articles comparing different thermal compounds. The two you're thinking of are pretty much always tested along with a number of others. For example:

http://hardwarelogic.com/news/137/ARTICLE/...2008-03-03.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/d...p_10.html#sect1

Make sure to look at a bunch of different reviews, because they often find different results.

I'd recommend against AS5 because it has a long cure time while other compounds (like Ceramique or the stuff I use, AC MX-2) perform equal or even better while having no cure time at all.

If you're choosing only between AS5 and Ceramique, I would probably go with the Ceramique. However there are other compounds that will outperform them both if you're looking to totally minimize your temps.

If you search the net for "thermal compound roundup", there are any number of articles comparing different thermal compounds. The two you're thinking of are pretty much always tested along with a number of others. For example:

http://hardwarelogic.com/news/137/ARTICLE/...2008-03-03.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/d...p_10.html#sect1

Make sure to look at a bunch of different reviews, because they often find different results.

I'd recommend against AS5 because it has a long cure time while other compounds (like Ceramique or the stuff I use, AC MX-2) perform equal or even better while having no cure time at all.

If you're choosing only between AS5 and Ceramique, I would probably go with the Ceramique. However there are other compounds that will outperform them both if you're looking to totally minimize your temps.

I'm gonna pick up a tube of OCZ freeze or that Carat stuff.

Nice reviews!

Hello all,

I'm curious as to which thermal solution is best for heat transfer on the CPU. Artic Silver 5 or Ceramique? Suggestions? :)

Of those two I'd prefer Ceramique for the fact that its non-conductive oppose to AS5. Both are good nonetheless.

I have always used AS5, of course I only put it where it is supposed to go so I dont worry about the conductivity part. I got a tune of MX2 this past newegg order and put it on my i7, I have not tested it against AS5 on the same rig yet though...

Of those two I'd prefer Ceramique for the fact that its non-conductive oppose to AS5. Both are good nonetheless.

The "fact" that AS5 is conductive is actually false. It is not conductive, it is "very slightly capacitive", where Ceramique is neither. Regardless, unless you're smearing it all over the traces on your motherboard this really shouldn't be a problem.

I actually used to think that too, but someone else clued me in and that's why I finally gave AS5 a shot.

Artic Silver: AS5 Product Info

Not Electrically Conductive:

Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.

(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

Regardless, unless you're smearing it all over the traces on your motherboard this really shouldn't be a problem.

if it gets into your CPU socket, you have a serious problem. a friend of mine actually managed to do this once and almost killed a Q6600. luckily i was there to save his AS5 B:)

Edited by psycho_terror