True "copper" Edition

damian

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Copper can dissipate heat nearly twice as fast, although it is much more expensive (and heavy)

So yeah, paired with a good fan it should take the temp down lower than the aluminium true

Actually, no. Copper doesn't dissipate heat twice as fast, it absorbs heat twice as fast. Aluminum dissipates far more readily. Hence why companies make aluminum/copper hybrids with copper bases and aluminum fins.

Actually, no. Copper doesn't dissipate heat twice as fast, it absorbs heat twice as fast. Aluminum dissipates far more readily. Hence why companies make aluminum/copper hybrids with copper bases and aluminum fins.

How long has that myth been going around for now?

I'm sorry, but your statement doesn't make any physical sense. Heat transfer does not care which which way heat is flowing. It is driven by the temperature difference.

Price. Zertz hit the nail on the head. The thermal conductivity of copper is superior...but more expensive...

If every company made solid copper heatsinks, they'd all be very expensive. Fins consume a large amount of matter...it is cheaper to add more fins and use Aluminum. It is more effective to have copper bases than aluminum.

If money wasn't an issue...we'd see more silver heatsinks. I've seen silver water blocks somewhere, but the price was atrocious.

If money wasn't an issue...we'd see more silver heatsinks. I've seen silver water blocks somewhere, but the price was atrocious.

Diamond heatsinks would be even better, just a tad more expensive :lol:

I'm sorry, but your statement doesn't make any physical sense. Heat transfer does not care which which way heat is flowing. It is driven by the temperature difference.
Errr...

Copper will conduct heat better than aluminum, aluminum will dissipate heat better than copper...

I'll try to word it how I see it...

Copper conducts heat better with physical contact (i.e. from CPU-TIM-HS) but will "hold" heat and not dissipate it (i.e. from heatsink to air) as quick as aluminum.

You see there is advantages and disadvantages to both copper and aluminum, which is why we have copper aluminum hybrids (i.e. an aluminum heatsink with a copper base).

The copper will absorb more heat than the same amount of aluminum and the aluminum will dissipate more heat than the same amount of copper...

Errr...

Copper will conduct heat better than aluminum, aluminum will dissipate heat better than copper...

I'll try to word it how I see it...

Copper conducts heat better with physical contact (i.e. from CPU-TIM-HS) but will "hold" heat and not dissipate it (i.e. from heatsink to air) as quick as aluminum.

You see there is advantages and disadvantages to both copper and aluminum, which is why we have copper aluminum hybrids (i.e. an aluminum heatsink with a copper base).

The copper will absorb more heat than the same amount of aluminum and the aluminum will dissipate more heat than the same amount of copper...

Lol. This is too funny. :D

Copper will conduct heat better. COPPER will dissipate heat better. Direction does not matter. There is no "storage", for most computer applications, everything is steady state. See the previous link about thermal conductance / conductivity.

*throws thermodynamics + heat transfer books at Andrewr05*