What is your town famous for?

OsamaBinAthlon+

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or city/nearby area whatever. you can also say if any 'famous' people came from there.

The city/town that I currently reside in is famous for its University. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, although I live about an hours drive away when I'm not at school. I'm currently attending it right now. It's the oldest public university in the nation. Some great NBA stars have gone to college here like Michael Jordan and Vince Carter. We won the NCAA National Championship for the 5th time in 2005. Our basketball team is currently ranked third in the nation. Our women's soccer team is a dynasty while winning probably 15 of the last 20 national championships. :eek2:

Besides sports we're one of the top ranked public universities in the nation in academics. We've been called a Public Ivy by magazines. I have pride in my school. :)

Also right down the road about 10 minutes is Durham home to Duke University which is one of the top ranked private universities in the nation. :cool:

Morgantown WV is the site of West Virginia University, which has often been on the list of the 25 (and 10; on occasion even #1) top party schools. Also known for couch fires after football game wins. The current school motto is often extended to: "Where Greatness is learned" and couches are burned.

When I was young the "Grant Block Party" was an annual event; Students would party at on Grant Ave. at the beginning of the fall semester. This was usually accompanied with couch/beer case fires in the street intersections. WVU put en end to this event by starting a rock concert/party on the same day.

On a side note: Morgantown is also the hometown of Don Knotts, who starred as Dr. Jesse W. Haywood in "The Shakiest Gun in the West" and also played Barney Fife on the "Andy Griffith Show".

Well, I live in Duluth, MN.

We are famous for various things.

First and foremost, we are famous for the Aerial Lift Bridge. It goes up and down with the use of weights.

aerial%20lift%20bridge-2.jpg

Predictably, we also have one of the busiest ports in the Great Lakes (if not the busiest)

We also have Canal Park, which isn't really a park, located right next to the water.

It's basically a collaboration of businesses and restaurants to create a very vibrant area which is rich in art.

IMG_9469%20800.jpg

Other things are Grandma's Marathon and a few other events.

As far as people, none that come to mind, but I could definitely be spacing that out (wouldn't be the first time!)

Three Nuke plants, Al Rocher(the ex-fat weatherman) went to college here, Eric Cole(hockey player) was born and raised here, and for having a mayor that is now in jail for trying to have . with 2 fifteen year olds.

The city/town that I currently reside in is famous for its University. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, although I live about an hours drive away when I'm not at school. . :cool:

Heh, I work for a cell phone company, when you have a problem, you call Care and make a ticket. I get that ticket and decide if it is you phone, area, or a network problem and send it where it needs to go. When I get 3 or more tickets around a specific cell tower I make a "Parent" case and attach the other tickets as "Children"... I just made a Parent case for Chapel Hill, NC... :shake: Irony at it's worst huh? :rolleyes: Sorry saw the city and I JUST got done with it...

The city where my Dad is from, Chester, IL is where Popeye the Sailor was from... :nod:

Bucklers's Hard, Beaulieu, Hampshire, UK

Famous for being the place that some of Admiral Nelsons fleet were built from.

From the 1740’s the site was used for the building of over 50 wooden ships for the Royal Navy The Master Shipbuilder, Henry Adams, and his sons built ships like the Agamemnon, the Euryalus and the Swiftsure, all of which fought at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805

Want to read more click here http://www.bucklershard.co.uk