975 oc'ing mini guide

raju

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look in the OC Database and check out what is required and fix yourself up with an entry!

I will when I have time...its being used in our render farm at the moment.

Its just about as fast at rendering 3dsMax8 frames (we use Vray extensively) as the dual proc Opteron 270 nodes we have on our farm.

Sorry for off topic.

ok, just got off the phone with Rgone

basically just pushed the divider to DDR667, cranked up the FSB to 334, and put 1.400v to the cpu, and rebooted, ran Aquamark3d (130k! with a single ATI X1900XT), and then turned on Orthos (dual-prime by Johnny Lee), and it's blasting out dual prime.

Rgone and I were discussing that this board is almost eerily easy to take any retail 6600 (2.4Ghz) up to 3Ghz without hardly any work, and that should make people interested right away (getting an Extreme performance mark out of an E6600...kinda like when we tell people that a $150 3800+ can easily hit the $700 FX-60 speeds).

I'll be participating much more as I get more into this platform's overclocking, and hopefully we can generate some interest as I'm already impressed with the few bits of benchmarking I've already done (and I'm hard to impress...if I am impressed, others should be impressed heh)

@1.4vcore on a good E6600, you should be able to get to 370fsb or so... Once you hit the 380 wall, Pcie 120mhz is required for a max stable of 385fsb or so.

The only thing that still bugs me is that so many users are having non booting issues on any bios since 0731, I visit a lot of forums, there are issues all over the place, that's why I hold back from recommending this board. In the last 2 weeks I have seen around 4-5 users who have had doa boards that won't boot at all and that's just in my limited world.

The second issue that is know cropping up is that anyone who has tried 830 bios and has had to flash back to 0731, is having cold boot issues even though 731 worked fine for them in the past. I did suggest that the newer version of Winflash be used, but that did not help.. So they now have to buy new bios chips, or hope dfi will help out with a replacement ... As well as this board runs for some, it's proving to be a real dud for others. I am not trying to be negative here, there's a lot that needs looking at before DFI issue another grossly non universal bios.

I'm happy, that Happy Games is now involved, so far a handful of us have been running a DFI support show around the web, I have a new board (Asus P5WDG2 Pro) on the way to tide me over until the next DFI (and if you don't mind an exciting little rumour Oskar Wu has had 530fsb from it so far and he's not finished yet). I've taken this Infinity board as far as it'll go on this 830 bios with a E6600, the ONLY thing that'll get any more fsb (at a reduced memory speed/chipset latency) is a 1333 fsb strap, the 1066 strap has been flexed to it's limits in 830 bios.

regards

Raja

One other thing, if you're running Crossfire and experimenting with 830 bios, you'll notice the cmos jumper is a real pig to get to, on the good advice of a fellow overclocker, get a 3 pin fan extension cable and plug it into the 3 pin jumper socket for cmos reset, you can use the jumper on the other end of the cable, so you don't need to remove your graphics card to get to the jumper....

I've never flashed to 830, I have only gone as far as 7/31 and I am having those cold boot issues. I have used basically all your settings except disabling PPM function. Maybe that will make a difference. I can't even always get 320FSB to cold boot let alone anything faster.

What is PPM Function anyways? The manual skips over it like it wasn't even there (in fact I don't see it in the included screenshot of the genie bios settings in the manual) and unless I am missing it, google was worthless for any info.

One person mentioned going back to 0615. Based on the dfi site the only major change between 615 and 731 that should affect us is "Fixed Core 2 CPU show fsb error in POST." I know what FSB I should have when I OC so I don't care if it says 66Mhz as long as it isn't really that low :)

Also I think maybe that 40deg stock as a threshold for OCing might be a little low. I have a perfect mount with my Ultra-90 and AS5 (I redid it and took some serious time) and my stock temps with C1E disabled are around 39-41deg (in coretemp).

Speaking of C1E you didn't mention disabling that or the other two things you mentioned disabling in another thread (virtualization and execute disable bit).

You have been working your butt off to figure all this stuff out for us and I thank you Raju!

HI,

The guides are very basic, only highlighting the very key points. If shooting for fsb's over 370, it is often better to turn C1E off.

There is definatley variance as to how well some boards overclock, that's just the luck of the draw.

I've left things as they are so people can learn themselves by experimenting, that's the best way to develop the learning faculty. Once that develops you can start really pushing the board.

regards

Raja

Thanks to your guide, I installed 830 with no problems and am running 320 FSB 667 strap with the options you recommended. It is 100% stable so far runnning Orthos. I plan to tweak this weekend and see how high I can go. I'd be perfectly happy with 370 if I can keep the memory @667, but won't bet on it.

I do have one quesiton though. You spoke of running pcie at 120. I have no experience with overclocking the pcie bus. What are the dangers to overdoing this bus? I see that the RD600 DFI is working on will auto OC the bus to approx. 120 with ATI cards and I am wondering if this means 120 is "safe". I don't want to damage these pretty crossfire boards when I just got them :) Does OC'ing this bus affect any other components adversely?

I'm running at 120PCIE with Crossfire, no real issues yet. It's not setting I can wholheartedly recommend, it's one of those experiments I guess. If you wanna live on the safe side it's ok. I did it slowly over a period of days.

If your ram is capable you should be able to hit 370 without changing the pcie bus speed..... It comes in handy over 379 or so on my board.

Another thing is that I've now got a DDR2 Maximiser by Hipro, it provides rock steady voltage to the Vdimm and VTT for the ram, so I can run at higher speeds stable than I ever could before..

regards

Raja

I'm running at 120PCIE with Crossfire, no real issues yet. It's not setting I can wholheartedly recommend, it's one of those experiments I guess. If you wanna live on the safe side it's ok. I did it slowly over a period of days.

If your ram is capable you should be able to hit 370 without changing the pcie bus speed..... It comes in handy over 379 or so on my board.

Another thing is that I've now got a DDR2 Maximiser by Hipro, it provides rock steady voltage to the Vdimm and VTT for the ram, so I can run at higher speeds stable than I ever could before..

regards

Raja

I've been thinking about picking one of those up, how much do they cost?

I think there is some ram setting that is holding me back now. The chipset seems pretty solid up to 380 or so and I can run Windows for some time there, always ending in a BSOD. It seems pretty picky about ram, as at 380x10 I can prime with small ffts with no problems really but if I go to blend it'll die almost immediately. I've tried the 400, 533, and 667 dividers with the 400 being the worst and 533 appearing to be the best. The speeds I'm running on it are well within what they should be able to do, tired different voltages, tried much looser timings (5-5-5-15 is much looser than they're rated at).

Beats me, but I'm not giving up yet. I've been considering recapping the whole board to see if it does anything for me, that and I'd just like to try doing that to a motherboard someday anyways.

I honeslty really like playing with this board - it seems people using the Asus are having somewhat better results and an easier time of it, but I like the challenge of forcing everything to work as best as i can.

I'm REALLY glad that DFI is taking its time on the RD600, I really feel they're trying to get it as perfect as possible now and avoid some stupid bugs that other boards have gotten when rushed out. Definitely looking forward to seeing what it can do - even if 530 FSB is way, way more than I need. But hopefully I'll find out that I'm not even close to the max of this processor - I can't imagine I'll hit over 380x10 completely prime stable but I damn well hope I can.

I really can't wait to see what this machine can do once I get this processor lapped and maxed out with DDR2-1000+ ram to boot. The performance I'm getting with this X1800XT is amazing as well with all the cpu power behind it - I seem to be scoring just as well if not better than many people with X1900XTs.

*sigh*

I love new toys.

I'll have a little mini write up of the Hipro Maximiser on my forum when it goes live. Put it this way, I could not get over 380 stable before and I can get 385 now and I've been using this 24/7 without hiccup. Ram speed is 4-4-4-8 @ ddr 963 @ 2.19v.

It costs around 150 euros, so it's not cheap. But it's a long term investment and if you love pushing out the max from your stuff, well you'll love this. It's a hardcore tool really as you need to hard mod the board by removing an inductor for it to work on most boards, so you need to be able to de solder.

I've recapped certain parts of the board and vmodded other areas, but believe me on this board it makes no difference.. The chipset latency is the limiting factor, but on the plus side you get a real fast board...

regards

Raja