Worldcup 2006 (merged)

Sorrento

I have seen a lot of things KimTjik, you wouldn't even believe half of them... I know a lot can be done and undone, its a shame what makes football so great can also make it so bad. I hope I am mistaken.

Well, I totally agree. In Italy for example the moral within football organisations has been terrible for years and even if the scandals might provoke some positive action, I'm still not certain it will root out the problem. It's kind of boring and frustrating to watching a game and being forced to simply pay attention at sequences of the game and then forget about the result, because you can't trust the referees. I've liked Juventus since I was I child, but it has been too much going on over the years; Milan isn't better, because how can you trust an organisation which has Berlusconi's support (OK he says he just a big fan, but when it comes to politics in Italy I have my doubts...).

Sweden has a dilemma in the coming game against Germany. Not that there's some suspicion about foul play concerning the referee, but more a concern about the referee being able to withstand the pressure.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

La vecchia signora del calcio :)

Juventus is a great team, it has seen the rise of so many worldwide super stars... latest one was Zidane, and I mean latest one because Ibraimovick doesn't pull as much as he should. Its a shame all the rumors were true, and the punishment will be as severe as nobody has seen: they will descend the team to 2nd or even 3rd division. Milan is another great team, but like you said it is hard to escape the whole scandal... thats the team I like the most in the Italian Calcio, but I think its because I really hate Inter de Milan and its really bad fans.

I wouldn't believe Berlusconi has anything to do with the team... he wish! The amount of money around the team is so great it is dificult to believe a simple politician, even him, would be involved. Same goes for other football teams which are grater than the world, like Real Madrid, Barza and Manchester Utd... and these are just football teams, just take a look at the budget used by Ferrari, McLaren, Toyota and perhaps Renault in F1... lol, and somebody discovered Mohamed Kadhafi had stock on Ferrari and I think Juventus, lol yeah like 0.001%.

Sweden has to play what they know to beat Germany... the referee will have a lot of pressure from the local fans, and thats something nobody can change but him. That game will be incredible, I am not sure Germany is playing well enough to defeat a well organized team like Sweden, and at the same time I am not sure Sweden can defeat 7 germans + 4 polish + referee + 50,000+ fans. Lets see what happens, it will be lots of fun... but I am sure the players would choose not to have that much fun :D

Brazil plays against Japan in 15 minutes... all indicates Australia will go on to the next round, I hope so because they do nothing except attack... ohh, and make fouls hehe. Poor guys over there, they have to watch the game at 5 am (Queensland) or maybe earlier... hehe, thats what they deserve: last WC I had to be awake till 3 am, same for the Sydney Olympics... grrr :)

Brazil plays against Japan in 15 minutes... all indicates Australia will go on to the next round, I hope so because they do nothing except attack... ohh, and make fouls hehe. Poor guys over there, they have to watch the game at 5 am (Queensland) or maybe earlier... hehe, thats what they deserve: last WC I had to be awake till 3 am, same for the Sydney Olympics... grrr

just got up to watch the australian team go through yes they do nothing but attack and get fouls awarded against them for things other teams do and get away with it and the ref "poll" what a plank, croatia i think made world cup history with the first player to recive 3 yellow cards in a match i feel there is a leanancy towards the establish football nations in the eyes of the refs

I'm ashamed it's the only day i've missed all 4 games. had a busy day. Not sure of priorities at the moment, Watch the recordings or play with my new case ordered yesterday arrived 11:30am Lian-Li V2000 plus. picked up new caras well. head hurts (normally does when spending money:) )

I saw the game as well and the ref was .........terrible, he did not have a clue it ruined what was an exciting an nerve wraking game that had me on the dge of my seat for that last 20 mins.

With luck this will be the last we see of that ref in this, or any, word cup

ExRoadie,

I hear & understand what your saying but there are no consppiracy theories here. The USA has got some decent players , better than last time, but bottom line their not contenders.

Not being contenders is an understatement. The US has a long way to go to build consistant teams that can compete at the WC level. As I said in an earlier post, the 2002 run was mostly a fluke. This Cup, it seemed the things that happened in their favor last time, went the opposite way.

It's always good to compete on the world stage even if you aren't up to the level of the "masters". Just being there is OK with me!

just got up to watch the australian team go through yes they do nothing but attack and get fouls awarded against them for things other teams do and get away with it and the ref "poll" what a plank, croatia i think made world cup history with the first player to recive 3 yellow cards in a match i feel there is a leanancy towards the establish football nations in the eyes of the refs

When the referee ended the game I just said "Thank God!!!"... 3 yellow cards, geez!!!!

Croatian players grabbing the referee's arms... pushing him... I don't think he was trying to help them, he just lost control of the game. Then the 5+ penalty fouls missed at Croatian box... ref only saw one, and IMO that was the least PK foul of all.

The game was really fun to watch, hehe but I believe Australians and Croatians didn't had that much fun... :)

What time was over there when the game started? 5 AM?

I believe FIFA will grant the region where Australia play another WC ticket... probably will take one away from CONCACAF to give it to you guys. It is not fair to send Australia against really strong south american teams every time... the region should have one or even two direct tickets.

Not being contenders is an understatement. The US has a long way to go to build consistant teams that can compete at the WC level. As I said in an earlier post, the 2002 run was mostly a fluke. This Cup, it seemed the things that happened in their favor last time, went the opposite way.

It's always good to compete on the world stage even if you aren't up to the level of the "masters". Just being there is OK with me!

I think both you and Supershanks are right about the US team... yet I believe things could have been a little better if Sampson wouldn't be so defensive in his lineup; IMO the US is not as weak as it played, I am sure there are players that can actually do something against any defense in the world... this team however played too defensive with only one striker and waiting the other team to make a mistake to take advantage.

Learning is the word here, I am sure the US will get better and better... you guys better be: better competition for Mexico means Mexico will grow as well, I think it is starting to make things better.

I think the us would have done better if the sport was as popular in the u.s. as american football.

Correct, but on the other hand US is such a huge nation so even if the interest for football would be isolated to some states, cities or areas within the county, it's enough to build up a good team.

Don't forget that some of the teams in the WC only have a total of some thousand players to choose from, which mean that there are maybe not more than some hundred professional.

What would you feel if you were in a foreign country representing USA in a tournament... and nobody cared about it back home??? I would not like it if I was that person.

This past weekend the gold tournament got better ratings per day than any of the three USA games in the world cup... and an Australian won the golf tourney. Golf is a very beautiful sport/hobby to play, but it is really boring to watch... and still people choose that than to watch their national team defend its colours against other nations, something the USA team did in 2 of the 3 games.

300+ million people, and most of them turn their backs to their national team? I have a word in mind that describes this attitude... yet I am pollite enough not to say it.