Worldcup 2006 (merged)

Sorrento

Sorrento...i simply couldn't find a single mexican football avatar...yet if you look back through this thread, i found one for Trinidad...and other weird countries

Thanks ok HG... I was not in the mood to carry an avatar or banner of my national football team, at least not now :( I have looked and indeed a good Mexican football avatar is dificult to find. I now feel terrible knowing how much you do for the forum and how little rewarded you are, specially after all these lots of small things you do for users: if anyone hasn't said it before, THANKS Happy_Games smil412d0e0e99d09.gif

to bad mexico didnt make it........they played very well.....but that goal from maxi rodriguez.....omg....that knocked the mexican team mental strength away.....

You said it very well: Mexico played quite well, but that goal... and I think they could haved played a lot better since IMO their full potential as a team and individually was not even reached in that game's first half. As for Maxi Rodriguez: HE WILL NEVER SCORE ANOTHER GOAL LIKE THAT ONE AGAIN, EVER!!!! Pure luck, that SOB!!!! hehe, but after the legal goal they should have scored before the end of the regular time Argentina deserved to win the match.

What suprised me was how good the Mexican defense played... Salcido and Pineda could be the best defenders I have seen in the tournament, and you guys know how strict I am with my own team. I hope other clubs out there see the same thing I saw and look for them, I am sure they could do a great job anywhere. Haha, both made both Teves and Messi look bad more than once during the game... hehe.

Have you guys noticed how bad referees were from the start of this 1/8 Finals games, and how terrible they become after the latest games??? I was not in favor of the Swiss ref that was on the Mexico/Argentina game, lots of fouls against the Mexicans weren't awarded because the Mexicans don't take a dive after a kick, hit or slide... but the Argentinians fell off to the ground in a classic dive every time they lost the ball, and the ref signaled a foul every time. Then Heinze making a foul to Fonseca, last man standing between him and goal and a very agressive one if I might add, and the ref don't show him the Red card...

But that was just small errors, nothing to change the result of the game: Argentina was better, maybe not much better but better after all. What freaked me out were the other games, like Portugal vs. Netherlands........ what a terrible referee, and Portugal just didn't want to play. 4 Red cards??? It should have been 6 IMO... then Chiquidracula, as 4th official, sees Figo hit the Dutch player with his head and tell the referee.. and what did this dude does? Give him a yellow card???????????? I am dissapointed in some of the players from both teams, like Deco with his lack of sportsmanship and the loose head Dutch who nearly broke Cristiano Ronaldo in half... or the Portugueese one who wanted to decapitate Robben, PK and everything... but Figo, IMO he was the worse one and I no longer consider him a good player since this was an agression with out provocation icon9.gif

Then I see Australia vs. Italy... mama mia!!!! LOL. IMO the red card was right, the rule say that hitting or wanting to hit the adversary is enough to award a red card: in this case he missed the Australian and nearly killed his team mate. But referee thought he made a mistake and later awarded a NON EXISTENT PK to Italy as a make up call... how can that be a foul, the Australian was there earlier and the Italian just trip with his body... if thats a foul, then a lot of other plays made by other players in this WC should put them in jail :mad:

Who can saves us now????

Look up in the sky!!!!

Is it a plane?

Is it a bird?

Is it a frog?

... a frog?

NO, its Chiquidracula to the rescue!!!!!!!!!!!! smil412d0e711fbe7.gif

Really guys, before the WC started I was afraid he was going to do something terrible... now I am sure he is better, if not one of the best referees in the WC. I hope he gets the Portugal/England game, I really want to see the Portugueese try to pull anything like they did against the Netherlands with him in the field... hehe... smil412d0c169eb27.gif

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the standard of the call made by the refs in this world cup have been nothing but scandolus the pk was just wrong how he could call that well......maybe the ref didn't want to run another 30min i think the aussies were going to make it dispite all the bad calls the've had the whole would cup but it has given the game a big boost here so i think next time round every body will not take them so lightly can't wait for the next one

the standard of the call made by the refs in this world cup have been nothing but scandolus the pk was just wrong how he could call that well......maybe the ref didn't want to run another 30min i think the aussies were going to make it dispite all the bad calls the've had the whole would cup but it has given the game a big boost here so i think next time round every body will not take them so lightly can't wait for the next one

Well I can only tell you one thing: welcome to football :P

The only thing I would worry about is the average age of the team, since some of them aren't going to be in perfect shape for the next WC... and IMO FIFA should give a direct ticket for Australia's elimination group.

Things shouldn't be this wrong with the ref's... but still this is why the sport is so good, because it depends on the human side of everybody involved to make it perfect, even if that doesn't sound right. Electronic help should never be considered, same goes for people reviewing the ref during the game like in the american football: things have to be this way, in the heat of the moment... but also need to be made by good and honest people. The rules exist to protect both the players and the game itself, if the ref awarded that PK because he didn't want to run another 30 minutes then he shouldn't be a ref at all.

Once before I have defended the referees from being involved in some kind of conspiracy. Now I have come to the conclusion that they do just fine, more correctly making a perfect mess, without any need for a conspiracy.

The ice-hockey season just ended, including the Olympics and WC, and of course did the referees at some point being in focus. So now I see the biggest tournament of the biggest single sport on earth, football, and I wonder: is this really the best lever of refereeing FIFA could pull together? I must admit that the level of refereeing in ice-hockey is fantastic and this tournament helps me to appreciate that even more.

What surprises me the most is that during UEFA leagues and cups I have seen very good performances from several referees. Where are they? It looks like the WC is a less important tournament in comparison with for example the UEFA Champions League.

The only comfort I see in the game between Italy and Socceros is that Italy as usually showed a very tight and strong defence, so really the chances for Socceros were slim. Italy in old fashion let them have the boll most of the time.

More importantly: welcome Socceros, you’ve proved to be a team worth all respect. I think this tournament is the real starting point for you.

Edit: this is the second try to post this. I don't know what it is, but lately I've been asked to agree with the rules, the new feature of this forum, not once but several times and after that everything I wrote is gone. Am I the only one experiencing this?

Once before I have defended the referees from being involved in some kind of conspiracy. Now I have come to the conclusion that they do just fine, more correctly making a perfect mess, without any need for a conspiracy.

So, you are saying they weren't bad (as in evil)... just plain dumb???? LOL, couldn't agree more.

The Champion's League and others had only minor problems regarding refs... and of course most of these "irregularities" were based on Chelsea's accusations after loosing to Barcelona........... LOL :P

referees will always make mistakes

but portugal-holland game and the italy-australia yesterday were just a stain in fifas choice

even with the terrible perfomance of mr ivanov i dont think mr blatter should come out and criticise in public a referee choosen.....by his federation....

if they told them to follow the rules.....how come this sounds familiar...eheh.....and the guy just went crazy and started to give cards......

maybe fifas selection of referees was not accurate

as for the rules......i see that in red......i accept.....and i write my post....

no problems till now

edit.....i just made double/double post.....sorry

but portugal-holland game and the italy-australia yesterday were just a stain in fifas choice

even with the terrible perfomance of mr ivanov i dont think mr blatter should come out and criticise in public a referee choosen.....by his federation....

if they told them to follow the rules.....how come this sounds familiar...eheh.....and the guy just went crazy and started to give cards......

as for the rules......i see that in red......i accept.....and i write my post....

no problems till now

no problems till now

no problems till now

no problems till now

Netherlands/Portugal game, IMO, players behaved badly... 4 red cards??? They should have received 6!!! And ref should have listened to Chiquidracula about the Portuguese bench going inside the field: more red cards!!!! Ref was too afraid to show the first two Red cards: for Robben and Ronaldo's fouls... after those two fouls the game was lost.

In Australia/Italy game, IMO, referee made a huge mistake... but its human to make errors. I doubt there was anything behind that PK, just a plain mistake from the ref.

Sorrento was talking about the Aussie players being in perfect shape for the next world cup which is true.

However, the team that is going to be absolutely dynamite for the 2010 WC and the 2008 Euro Cup... the Netherlands. As Van Basten said before, his team is assembled to win the Euro Cup. They are too young right now.

The Dutch vs. Portugal game was an absolute circus. To clarify a post above. The dutch player who tried to cut C. Ronaldo in half was Khalid Boularouz. An able defender, but a bit physical at times.

The only thing other than the ref'ing which has been discussed already, is Van Basten's decision not to play Ruud Van Nistelrooj. Although his performance the last 3 games was average. His experience and especially his skill inside the small box, I think would have helped the Dutch grab much more chances.

Anyways, its done, but I'm excited about my team in the Euro Cup. Go Oranje!

EDIT: Oh by the way. Is that Crouch in my sig? I thought Crouch was number 21, not number 9. Or is that him in his Premiership jersey doing the robot? I think its him, its just that the number's don't match up.