The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

You should make a signature containing all of your system specs before posting more. Also post your driver versions.

I seem to have fixed my audio problems, for the most part. After 2 different Realtek drivers, I found one that works decent (6062). It's not perfect, audio stutters slightly during high CPU usage. At least I don't lose the sound completely anymore.

I found them here

http://www.tcmagazine.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=2031

Direct link to download page

http://w3serv.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dla...8&Software=True

After the install finishes (figures :rolleyes: ) it prompts you that the drivers aren't compatible with Windows Vista, ignore that. I think it's because these drivers are for Beta 1.

I also disabled Indexing and set Media Player to ignore my media folders. I disabled everything besides Clear Type and Visual Styles in Visual Effects. It seems to be running a lot smoother now, and I still have the glass effect. ;)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, We're back up. Like the new Forest style layout.

My audio still stutters when there is high network traffic. CPU usage seems to have nothing to do with it. I am going to try different drivers for my NICs and see if that resolves it.

Windows Vista: Beta 2 Preview @AnandTech

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2780

Flip 3-D

Windows key + tab (hold windows key)

Repeatedly press tab, scroll up and down or up and down arrows to scroll through the windows.

To enable aero on unsupported cards you have to use the tweak in tweakvista, I believe.

If your card is supported, Control Panel (or right click on Desktop), Personalization, Visual Appearance, Enable transparent glass.

..........................................................................................................................................

"...The x64 version will by default be locked down to only accept kernel mode drivers which have been signed..."

"...Vista x64 will load critical system files at random offsets in the memory, versus the current method of using a predetermined location every time. The idea here is that by using offsets, certain classes of attacks such as buffer overflows will fail since they will not know where the component they want to affect resides. Vista x64 will also have a new feature designed to prevent malicious software from modifying the kernel (a requirement for implementing a rootkit), although the full details on how this works are light at this time..."

"...DirectX 10 will be a Vista-only feature; Microsoft will not be backporting it to XP. DirectX 10 will not only include support for new hardware features, but relies on some significant changes Microsoft is making to how Windows treats GPUs and interfaces with them..."

"...DX10 should remove a good deal of the overhead, and while it still means that there will be a significant amount of CPU time required for rendering (20% in ATI's case), the 20% savings can be used to ultimately render more or more complex frames. Unfortunately, these API changes will work in tandem with hardware changes to support them, so these benefits will only be available to DirectX 10 class hardware..."

"...With current GPU designs and the associated treatment from the operating system, GPUs are treated as single-access devices; one application is effectively given sovereign access and control of the GPU's 3D capabilities at any given moment. To change which application is utilizing these resources, a very expensive context switch must take place that involves swapping out the resources of the first application for that of the second. This can be clearly seen today when Alt+Tabbing out of a resource intensive game, where it may take several seconds to go in and out of it, and is also part of the reason that some games simply don't allow you to Alt+Tab. Windowed rendering in turn solves some of this problem, but it incurs a very heavy performance hit in some situations, and is otherwise a less than ideal solution.

With the use of full 3D acceleration on the desktop now with Aero, the penalties become even more severe for these context switches, which has driven Microsoft to redesign DirectX and how it interfaces with the GPU. The result of this is a new group of interface standards, which Microsoft is calling the Windows Display Driver Model, which will replace the older XP Display Driver Model used under XP..."

"...The last significant group of core improvements to be found in Vista is a collection of several changes Microsoft has made to various subsystems in order to boost overall system performance. Unfortunately, because Vista is still in a beta state where performance optimizations have yet to be turned on, not to mention the lack of diagnostic programs to test these features..."

"...The actual RAM usage should drop a good deal once Vista is in shipping condition, as many debugging features are still in the code for this beta of Vista. XP 64-bit edition was eating a similar amount of memory when it was in beta, and dropped by over 100MB for its final release, so we'd expect something similar with Vista..."

"...For some reason, the version of DirectX included with Vista does not have a completely working compatibility layer for pre-DirectX 10 games, while some games can't correctly detect DirectX 10 as a superset of DX9.0c. This has resulted in games seeing Vista as only having DirectX 9.0(a), which in turn causes some games to fail and start believing the system is out of date. Other games will not enable certain features such as SM3.0. Some DLLs are also missing from the current version of DirectX, such as the D3DX DLLs that come with the seasonal DirectX9.0c updates, and these need to be installed before games using them (such as Battlefield 2) can be used..."

Can't wait to see the final product, performance seems mediocre atm.

This one hasn't been covered much yet.

Vista revs up peer-to-peer engine

http://news.com.com/Vista+revs+up+peer-to-..._3-6078051.html

"...MeetingSpace is designed with a couple of situations in mind. First is the scenario where people meet up at a coffeehouse and want to share data with one another. The other might be at a business, where several people are in a meeting and want to be able to view and edit a presentation together..."

"...The feature requires the laptops to have some form of network connection but does not require Internet access, since the technology uses peer-to-peer connections. Users with most versions of Vista will be able to start a session; those with Home Basic can join a session but not start one of their own..."

"...The intent of MeetingSpace is to allow nearby participants to communicate. That means that the technology is good for a gathering where all parties are in the same physical location. But for the case where one or more people are "dialing in" to the meeting, a Web conferencing product like WebEx or Microsoft's LiveMeeting is still needed. There is some capability to invite remote participants if their network supports version 6 of the Internet Protocol (IPv6)..."

.............................................................................................................................................

Digital Imaging in Windows Vista Photo Gallery

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/comm...talimaging.mspx

Microsoft details performance of Vista's SuperFetch, ReadyDrive

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/06/15/teched20..._of_superfetch/

.........................................................................................................................................

Vista may require "unproven" drive technology

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39275491,00.htm

"...A Microsoft document specifying requirements for flash storage led to speculation that hybrid storage would be mandatory for all Vista laptops, from June 2007, but this has been denied by Microsoft.

However, website Tom's Hardware, recently reported a conversation with Matt Ayres, Microsoft's program manager for Windows client performance which seemed to suggest that laptop makers would have no choice but to support the technology. "Hybrid hard drive manufacturers Samsung and Seagate, as well as other manufacturers... have been informed of the company's decision to make hybrid drive inclusion a mandatory element for mobile systems next year."

Hybrid hard drives save power, as they use solid state flash memory as a large cache, so the hard drive only spins up when the cache is full or needs refreshing, a useful feature with early betas of Vista criticised for draining batteries too fast. Boot-up is quicker too, because the operating system is kept in flash memory..."

well how messed up is this? lol

I decided to download the latest WindowsXP 64-bit trial and install it on the same rig i was fooling with Vista on:

CFX3200-DR

4x1GB OCZ PC4000EL Gold

X1900XT

Opteron 146

Enermax 600w Whisper

2x80GB Hitachi SATA II RAID-0

Vista...as big of a hunk of crap as it is...actually was pretty flawless

however...WindowsXP 64...keeps freezing up and locking up grrrr

I can't even get .NET installed to install the damn ATI drivers...

That's one of the reasons I gave up on XP64, I am waiting for the final release of Vista X64, before making the switch. Good job and Thanks for getting us back up so quick, you are the man. Ignore the bitching, take a rest, bro. You deserve it.

Happy, you certainly aren't the 1st one with issues using latest Cats in x64.

This may help with getting net going and using the 6.3s. See my reply on Post #15

http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=20495&hl=#

curious as to how you have x64 setup. same HD as Vista on a 2nd partition?

nah I wiped all of Vista and started fresh on XP64

the problem was .NET64

or

something...I pulled 2GB of RAM out and it installed just fine...but with 4GB RAM it kept freezing up 50% of the way into the install...

which is odd since I ran Vista-32 the entire time with 4GB and I've run XP Pro 32-bit with 4GB RAM and never had an issue like this...

maybe I'll try Vista-64 with 4GB RAM...

it might also be this board...the CFX3200-DR is a very new motherboard and the kinks are definitely not all worked out just yet...