The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

I don't think the old XP cd key is canceled once the upgrade happens, at least I hope not.

I'd be shocked if they didn't cancel/blacklist the XP SP2.

They had a similar deal with System builder units when x64 Edition was made available.

But if you chose to take the x64 Edition upgrade your XP keys were cancelled/blacklisted.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really not sure man.

But I'm sure you've heard the saying "If it seems too good to be true it's not legit."

Just can't see MS letting you use both OSes.

I can see them trying to help system builders sell product if people are going to wait for Jan 30th public release.

But giving an OS away free, golly that is hard to believe.

i work for a major canadian system builder and apparently the vista upgrade that you get when you purchase the xp copy is a full version. meaning you don't have to have xp installed first. my guess would be that your xp key would be blacklisted once you've activated your vista key.

I think gord27 just scored a hat trick.

As I remember now it was a FULL install with x64 Edition disc not an upgrade and yes I would bet it gets blacklisted.

Vista Business Upgrade will have a $199 suggested retail in the US.

So I'd say your ar $50 bucks ahead Herr Reelmeister :)

Hey $50 is no joke, that's 2 DVD burners or a decent HS in my eyes.

BTW I updated the pricing chart with a more accurate one from Paul Thurrot's site.

Too bad it wasn't an upgrade for Home Premium or Ultimate, but I'll take what I can get ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have searched this thread and not found the answer to my question. Please refrain from flames if this has already been asked/answered.

My system configuration is two IDE drives in RAID 0, and two SATA drives running independently. XP is installed on the RAID 0, and I want to run Vista on one of the SATA drives.

The install went mostly okay, except that Vista did not put the boot loader onto the RAID, thus making me have to select boot drives from the BIOS screen if I want to load Vista instead of XP. That wouldn't be so bad, except for the fact that even once loaded, Vista does not see my RAID. It sees the two IDE drives from the RAID as individual 160gb drives, not as one 320gb RAID. This is VERY BAD, because not only can I not access my XP drives, but Vista keeps prompting me to initialize one of the two drives!!!!

Device manager shows the RAID driver loaded, and if I try to install the downloaded RAID driver from nvidia, I get told that a newer driver is already installed. I read here, as well, that the final Vista does indeed have the RAID driver.

Then why in the nine hells doesn't it see my RAID?

because it dont....

I think if you are going to install Vista on a single drive while others are in a raid array thats the way you're going to have to do it...

to use raid with with vista...you have to build the raid array with the xp cd and on the reboot switch to the vista dvd...seems to work for eveyone else...;)