The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

My reasons to run Vista x64

Above OC works rock solid with C&Q enabled and i haven't been able to make x64 crash. The only problem i have is that my system locks up when it recovers from "sleep mode" but i have the same problem with XP Pro, so seems to be a BIOS issue.

Does your system just lock up or does the screen become full of noise?

Because it happens to me every single time I recover from sleep mode or when I exit out of Madden 07 (I have to exit madden using the task manager).

EDIT:

I tried sleep mode... its fine, so now I think this only occurs when my computer has been idle for long periods of time. Even though this happens, everything still works... If I press ctrl+alt+delete, the screen turns into a green color, but there's still alot of noise.

Could it be the drivers?

EDIT:

It was the 96.85 drivers (The latest ones from the nVidia site). I reverted back to the drivers that came default with Vista x86 RTM and I haven't had this problem since.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Raphie did you get your free copy from powertogether.com or elsewhere? I got in on the free Vista Business offer just in time (they've since run out), but am wondering about the legitimacy of the whole deal since it just went up yesterday and my copy obviously hasn't arrived yet. Anyone here know anything about it?

Edit: I take back my question to you Raphie, seeing as you are from Netherlands and this offer was in the U.S. only....I'm assuming you're a beta tester or the like. Anyone else know anything about this?

It's legit. Microsoft came out later and confirmed that it was giving away 30,000 copies via the powertogether.com site.

I've already fulfilled my 3 webcast viewing requirements for Vista and Office 2007, and I should be receiving them in 6-8 weeks.

Hi Guys,

I am happy to report that I have been rinning the public release version of Vista for since about 11-20-2006, I have to say it is quite awesome, howevr as everyone knows the down fall is lack of drivers especially tv tuner drivers. I have attached some screen shots of my PC properties and the whatever score that vista uses . Enjoy feel free to ask questions.

Hey guys..

I just formatted the partition with Vista on (deliberately obviously) and I was wondering if I need to do anything to the Boot.ini or anything?

I'm afraid to restart just in case it won't boot haha

Here is my Boot.ini file:

;

;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.

;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.

;

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

Grrr...

So I edited my boot.ini to the same as they have it on the M$ site, like so:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

That's including a return at the top above "boot loader" bit.

This meant deleting two lines saying:

Warning: Boot.ini is used on OS's like XP and older...

BCDEDIT.exe is used on Vista...

or something like that.

And yet the boot menu still comes up when I turn my PC on.

Any ideas?

Just another quick question :O

Do I want to run the FIXBOOT command on the C: drive, or the D: drive (partition)?

Vista was installed on the D: partition (which renamed itself to C: within Vista :confused:)

And how do I use FIXMBR? I googled it and it came up with the "map" command (having to use the map command to specify the device name or something), and i got all confused :)

Thanks