The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good to know.Hope that programs will be ready ti'll then.SO we can finnaly put the 64but CPU's to work as 64bit CPU's.BTW how do I register the beta I downloaded?

The link provided above should include this part (I just checked):

Windows Vista RC1 is available for participants of the Windows Vista Customer Preview Program. Please go to the Customer Preview Program website to register and receive a Product Key, which is required to install and activate the software.

You then just follow the instructions. The only extra thing you need is an account on MSN and to fill in some information about yourself. I don't know however for how long it will be available for download. You need to follow the registration procedure to get a key.

I did some tweaking in Vista, disabled about 4-6 services. As of right now I have 36 processes running and my ram usage varys from 27% to 33% idling with IE open.

Very happy with it, seems like a solid OS for a RC anyways.

WINDOWS VISTA RC2 COMING THIS FRIDAY

further info at Daily Tech http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4409

Last interim release of Vista up on deck

According to Windows IT Pro, the final interim release of Windows Vista before release to manufacturing (RTM) will come this Friday. Microsoft released RC1 to testers in early September and the last interim build released was 5728 in late September.

Windows Vista RC2, aka build 5743, will be released to the usual suspects which consist of beta testers, MSDN and TechNet subscribers. After Vista RC2 goes through its paces, the final product will be set in stone somewhere between October 18 and November 8. Windows IT Pro reports:

Internal documentation notes that each daily delay after October 25 comes at a price, however: For each day past October 25, Microsoft will start to lose languages for the January launch. However, the company is prepared to do that to ensure that Vista's quality is high. That documentation also notes that there are over 1400 open bugs in Vista at this time. Microsoft's internal processes require this bug count to drop to 500 or fewer before they will attempt to go into escrow for RTM. By comparison, there were over 2479 bugs on September 22.......

Some pretty good comments on Vista as well :)

woooah..... so the full product will be available somewhere between Oct.18 and Nov. 8?????? is that what its saying??

then wats the point of downloading RC2?? i didnt even had the time to try RC1 lol

but the biggest question would be...... SATA RAID NATIVE DRIVER SUPPORT!!????!!?!?!?!?!

lol i just want Vista to install normally on my RAID and all is happy.

woooah..... so the full product will be available somewhere between Oct.18 and Nov. 8?????? is that what its saying??

Think Public Retail is still Jan 30th, RTM and corporate customers will get it in November.

then wats the point of downloading RC2?? i didnt even had the time to try RC1 lol

Cause it will still be a trial that is hopefully good until May 30th, 2007, like Beta 2 and RC1.

I certainly intend to wait until next summer to make sure the bugs are out.

Did you read how many bugs are still in it?

but the biggest question would be...... SATA RAID NATIVE DRIVER SUPPORT!!????!!?!?!?!?!

ahahahahahahahaha, you are a riot Red.

lol i just want Vista to install normally on my RAID and all is happy.

10-03-2006 11:00 AM

RAID is still a nightmare for 80% of the users on XP, we can only hope it's less painless than it is now.

Yeah no point rushing out to buy it before the trail is at least expired. Reading on apparently XP was released with 2000 bugs in it. Just like all of the upgrade freaks that run out and bought the latest Graphics cards only to find they have to return them a week later. If we were all using win 98 or 2000 then it would be a case of the sooner the better but XP is still a pretty awesome OS when you get right down to it, I mean say what you want but your probably all using it right now as you read this thread (Edit :aside from the vista testers I mean :D). I will continue to use Vista RC? with any available updates right up until it says "No More Freebie Go and Buy It"

Because a poor company need you to test their new product for free! :rolleyes:

Just joking with you, but as has already been said, even after its final release Vista will have a lot of bugs to be fixed. It will be a kind of official beta which you're forbidden to call beta.

Do the public a favour and help out Redbeaver in the attempt to get rid of those bugs and flaws!:)

The only exception in the world of operating systems I can think of is Slackware; a great os but extremely conservative which still runs on a 2.4 kernel. However a official release has up to this day kept its promise of being beta-syndrome-free.