The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I am trying the vista beta at the moment and so far i would NEVER move to it. Takes forver to boot, uses like 600mb just at startup without running any programs, the internet is EXTREMELY makes me remember when i had dial-up, and with the new Nvidia drivers its not SLI capable or something cus i don't see it in the control panel. Hope it gets better

Try a clean install; I did with Vista RC1 64-bit and so far I’m very impressed, especially since I now have sound. Boot time is very fast as is IE7. In fact, my Internet experience has never been as fast as it is with RC1. My only quibble presently is the lack of driver support for my web cam (Orbit MP) and N1240U Canon scanner.

Vista Ultimate (what you are using) is gonna be $400 (gulp, XP doesn't look so bad anymore does it) :)

Vista Ultimate is $399 new or $259 to upgrade. Home basic and premium upgrades are $99 and $159 respectively. Without question I’ll upgrade to Ultimate once released.

I would still appreciate some input on the question I had about the registry in Vista: has it improved compared to previous MS operating systems?

Some of you have played around and tested for quite some time, so I thought you must be the right ones to ask.

Well if it comes in OEM then thats what I'll be getting. I have never asked for support from microsoft on a problem I've had with XP. I would google first and if that yeilded no results I'd ask here. $400 is a lot of money for a disc, I got my Mobo, 3700+ and Case for just under that...lol.

Is there a set amount of time I can use the RC1 version, a quick google and some were talking about June 2007 does that sound right even though they are also saying that Vista could be released in December of this year?

As for the registry Kim im still a newbie about XP registry I can wade through it and remove programs that refuse to uninstall but thats about it. It looks no different to me than XP's but like I said I know nada about the registry

Vista RC1 runs through May 31st, 2007.

Depending on how many rigs you will be running and what the final available upgrade paths are, you're looking at a good chunk of change.

Can you elaborate on your question Kimjik?

Can you elaborate on your question Kimjik?

I'm not in any sense an expert but try to learn and grasp as much as possible. The registry has been a culprit for me. With XP MS has moved in a direction which means a more locked system doing a lot of stuff in the background, which eventually also includes changes in the registry. Furthermore it's more or less optimized for a system never being modified, changed and for ongoing installations and uninstallations; so after awhile the registry is a mix of necessary information mixed with a heap of junk. At a first glimpse the registry itself looks probably more like a jungle of random figures for most and learning how to use it isn't that easy. So when MS started to talk about a new system I hoped that they would start from the ground and make a system which would be better adopted to how computers are used nowadays.

Ok, that's enough and leads up to more elaborated questions:

- Is the registry organized the same way (Branjo answered that)?

- Is there any possibility for you to evaluate if changes leave just as much junk and traces in the registry as they do in XP?

- Is it still pretty cryptic in its design?

That's what I thought about when asking. I just got an email from MS about the RC1 download so I decided to give it try. I try to find some time next week to install Vista RC1.

I'm not in any sense an expert but try to learn and grasp as much as possible. The registry has been a culprit for me. With XP MS has moved in a direction which means a more locked system doing a lot of stuff in the background, which eventually also includes changes in the registry. Furthermore it's more or less optimized for a system never being modified, changed and for ongoing installations and uninstallations; so after awhile the registry is a mix of necessary information mixed with a heap of junk. At a first glimpse the registry itself looks probably more like a jungle of random figures for most and learning how to use it isn't that easy. So when MS started to talk about a new system I hoped that they would start from the ground and make a system which would be better adopted to how computers are used nowadays.

Ok, that's enough and leads up to more elaborated questions:

- Is the registry organized the same way (Branjo answered that)?

- Is there any possibility for you to evaluate if changes leave just as much junk and traces in the registry as they do in XP?

- Is it still pretty cryptic in its design?

That's what I thought about when asking. I just got an email from MS about the RC1 download so I decided to give it try. I try to find some time next week to install Vista RC1.

If you understand the registry, then, when you make changes to your system, go to the registry and make necessary changes, also.

When I uninstall a program, I go to the registry and do a search for any remnants of that program. If I find some, I simply press "Delete". "Poof", they're gone. This has kept my registry as clean as I can get it.

I haven't seen Vista. So, I don't know if this will be possible.

I just finished downloading 5728.16387.060 and will install it tonight on the Ultra-D, hopefully.

Looking to forward to playing with the next OS :)

Edit : Looks like I got 5600 because I chose 64-bit, 5728 was only for 32-bit. Any reasons why I'd want to use 32-bit 5728 over 64-bit 5600?