The AMD 3GHz Club

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys ... I got really lucky with the chip. It was only like $186 OEM from newegg. I take little credit ... just a fantastic chip. If I had better cooling I would push the chip harder but quite content with this speed at the moment. By the way, this is my everyday speed that I run the computer at (with the case fully closed!) Here is a pic of the rig.

case6qb.th.jpg

Nice OC but once you get your overclocking sorted its clear from that pic what you need to sort out next if you have a window on that case :)

Yeah, my wire management definitely leave something to be desired ... hence I do not have a window case!! Any hints on how to clean up my wires? I tied them up a much a possible and it still looks this way!! :sweat:

My suggestion personally?

I run all wires I possibly can BEHIND the motherboard tray so they aren't even visible.

Do that as much as you can, it helps make it look more pleasant and less tangled in your case. Like ... watch I'll snap a shot if I can get some decent lighting.

If I didn't have to go get ready for work I'd show you what a wire-trap the other side door of my case looks like when it's off, but here's a couple of the inside. Not exactly neat and clean with those tubes everywhere but it ain't congested either, in my opinion:

insidesallcn4.th.jpg

They're small but I think they make the point. Don't see many big fat cords in the way do you? LOL

let it burn baby! put that sucka under water and crank up the voltage :D

TheFlowerKing ready for Linux? I will be finished with a DIY Gentoo Linux Guide either tonight or tomorrow afternoon, thing is huge, over 800 lines :)

It's gonna be for both 32bit/64bit systems and Intel or AMD procs.

Holy flaming Moe's! That's a great OCDB there Outlander! And with that low vcore too! :D :D :D

Are you feeling the urge to push it further? Or does the chip not respond to more voltage?

I wouldn't say the chip does not respond to more voltage because at 1.35 + 110% (1.485 V) was not orthos/dual prime stable for more than an hour but bumping the Vcore to 1.500 did the trick. I remember one orthos run that was good for 16+ hours (didn't post that one because I messed up the screen snap and didn't realize it.) It just that I lack the funds for water or better cooling. :rolleyes: Who knows, one day when I have more money (and time.)

likewhoa - I run Ubuntu on my MacBook and it also runs on my torrent box.. but I do want to get into Gentoo and will be awaiting your guide. I have played with it before but never gotten past trying to get the gui up lol.

Outlander - That Big Typhoon is pretty good, pretty much the same as low-end water. I used to run my 170 under mine at 1.6v and 1.7v when it was naked. You may get bored one day and want to push it.. ;)

TheFlowerKing said:

Outlander - That Big Typhoon is pretty good, pretty much the same as low-end water. I used to run my 170 under mine at 1.6v and 1.7v when it was naked. You may get bored one day and want to push it..

By the way, I still have the IHS on the chip. I thought briefly about TEC but it was too costly/too much work (lower end TEC wouldn't have gained me much.) I did see that new monster cooler from Cooler Master (the one with mounts for TWO 120mm fan) but wonder if that would really fit my Ultra-D (and the case.) I could go for a faster spinning fan (I still have the stock) on the Big Typhoon but I don't want a jet engine under the desk! Who know, I may get bore one day and push it a little more. It such a good chip that I don't want to burn it out prematurely. With a better case (those new ones with 250mm fans) and care reapplication of my newly acquired Shin Etsu X-23 compound, who knows?

One last thing, though. I'm not sure about what to do with the 3800+ X2 that got replaced by the 175. That was a decent chip (had it running at 2.5 GHz) and it be a shame to let it go to waste but funds are a bit low. I'm thinking about a supercheap set up ... perhaps DFI RS482 with a gig of decent ram. I also saw the nF4 Expert for $119 US at eWiz but hate to limit that rig to just 1 gig and a decent graphics card would be at least couple hundred US. Should I just sell it and start again with a low cost AM2 setup and wait for K8L to upgrade to? :confused: Choices ... too many and money too limited!