Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

Have to agree with wot Rgone said above. DFI boards take patience to get working right, especially when u get one within 5 days of coming to market but you are rewarded in the long run. I remember my SLI-DR was diffficult to begin with, but with all the bios's support and once i get my head around it it overclocked like nothing else.

Anyhow, im really pleased with my CFX3200, I was expecting the board to be a bit tricky to setup, and initially I was having blue screens and freezes - would crash whenever I booted a game and like AG I couldnt run prime at stock for more than about 10-15mins. I had been reading Tony's thread over at XS so i nipped over there and grabbed his bios, bang problems at stock were gone, but games were still crashing. Tracked it down to a direct draw issue, so reinstalled DX, Catalysts and the bechies I was running and problems gone.

Other issue I had was overclocking - couldnt get above 220 on my crucial ballistix (micron-IC's) which was aweful compared to my Expert. Anyhow, i suddenly clicked that i had the memory in the yellow slots and i had the same issues on my SLI-DR and Expert boards with crucial in those slots. Switched to Orange ones slacked off my timings, now can hit 250 no probs, and im working on getting my head around the new setttings and tightening timings up a bit. I recon i can get this higher.

Anyways, my point is, u gotta keep playing with the boards to get the results. If you dont wanna spend the time, go get an Asus. But dont say that you want all these options and then moan when u cant set em up right to get your overclock working.

Anyhow, rig in sig... ooopps... better go change my sig!!! LOL! :D

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, i've been watching these forums abit.

I got a A8R32-MVP with an Opty 170 @ 2,7Ghz (10x 270, 1.425vCore) 24 hours dual prime stable. (49 degrees celsius tho, will try some more when my watercooling gets in)

Noticed the price tag of the CFX3200-DR mobo and its 260 euro here. Which honestly is a tad overkill. Is it even worth it switching from Asus to DFI for the price to pay?

I wish i had the same result with my A8r32-MVP. With everything at stock speeds (set manually in BIOS) It's CPU score was 500pts LESS in 3dmark06 (1850 down to 1350) than my budget ASRock 939Dual. All the graphics tests were within 100pts so that was working fine. No amount of formatting (formatted 3 times) or drivers (updated all system drivers, tried CAT6.3, 6.4, Omega 6.3...tried a different one every format to eliminate possible conflicts between driver updates) or bios updates (tried the original 0201 that it shipped with, then 0311 which seemed to fix most of the problems that others were having with this board, and now the new 0404) did any good. The last thing that i tried was swapping out the board back to the old ASRock and BAM! the CPU was working properly with a score in the 1800's. I have seen quite a few people having problems with this board which is somewhat understandable, its brand new technology, but to have so many people have so many problems right off the bat, makes you think what kind of testing was done before release. I have tried every trick that people have posted in forums to no avail so i think im going to RMA it and swap it for one of the DFI 3200's and see how that goes. I will be keeping my eye on this forum to see what kind of success is to be had with this hopefully stellar motherboard.

AG and I report it like we see it. No added BS or imagined BS. Just how it is going with us. Most of the time this gives the user the idea to slow down and pay attention and all is usually much better then.

amen brother

the reason why a lot of you keep choosing DFI is based on of course the board and it's potential, but a lot if it still seems to be based on our opinions and what we feel about a board. If we started bs'ing you now, it would ruin all of the respect that you guys have allowed us to earn, and even when it makes the head honchos at DFI angry (our opinions are not always well received lol), we still only tell you the truth.

It has taken me four days but most of the original issues with my board are sorting out now. I just know if I had paid attention to the fact that most DFI dual channel boards need to be first setup with only a single stick in the Orange slot furhterest from the cpu> I might have saved myself a day or two. NO it is never written in any manual to approach it like that but we have seen it written 1,000s of times in these forums.

I concur...but the biggest reliever for me was flashing to OCZ Tony's BTA bios for this board. Once I did that, it seems that my issues all faded away. I've just completed 45 hours of Prime95 and running all the rest of the tests, as well as my scores all across the board have improved a LOT (I could only get about 3800MB/s in Everest reads but after Tony's bios flash, I am where I should be, at about 5300MB/s in Everest)

A BIOS can have a HUGE HUGE HUGE impact on how things work and play together...looks like this DFI Lanparty board is going to be no different.

Take it slow and easy and you will likely have none of the issues I had because I flailed at it like many impatient folks do. I pulled me some real newb tricks with this board and it bit back. Hehehehe.

heh

you'd think after all this time we'd stop doing the noob stuff, but Rgone and I love what we do and sometimes we just can't wait to dive right in, and we both like being the first to show a nasty overclock to make everyone's jaw drop in anticipation (as well as the relief for everyone that it CAN be done!).

we are human

but we are also more experienced than any 100 members in here when it comes to DFI boards and building computers in general...so when first see our INITIAL impressions, they should be paid attention so much as our "I've had it for a week or more" impressions ;)

but again, this is why we have ALWAYS maintained that you guys should NOT just rush out and buy the latest greatest newest thing just because you HEARD it was some cool overclocking badass stuff...thats just nonsense.

Unless you have loads of money and a lot of time (but those of you that fit this description are usually even more impatient and full of complaints than the rest).

We want you guys to wait at least until we (and other trailblazers) have had some serious time to put into the new products so we can tell ya exactly what ya want to know, as well as recommend the product or another product depending on what you want and your skill/patience level lol...as well as finding out what works great and what kind only works a little (if at all).

now...after 45h of Prime95, and getting the other tests run, I'm gonna do exactly as I said and try a few different 2GB kits so I can put them in the Stock Speed Database, so you guys have a reference to work with.

This coming weekend I have some stupid wedding to go to, but when I get back, it should be time for not only overclocking, but Crossfire.

As it stands right now, my opinion of this board has went up quite a bit since I flashed to OCZ Tony's bios.

i am glad i did not read this thread before i bought the board

i have had no problems wot so ever

just put in some 2x512 g.skill 500 (orange)/fx57/phase/79gtx air it loaded first time stock bios

3d05 is within 100 points of my nf4 dr stock and my ram is flying

size.jpg

whoaaaa dawg....didn't you take some time to read the rules of this forum before posting?

sorry dude i did not been some time since i have been here it is a shame as the image is all good

whether the image is the winning lottery numbers to this week's Powerball or not is not the problem

the problem is you need to follow the rules of posting images, as well as signatures...

I'll pick up the 'board when DFI releases a BIOS that fixes everthing. Not real keen on BETA's.

btw, do you think there will be any complications with my RAM in this 'board? I've heard that this batch of Redline's don't quite overclock the way Redline's had in the past. I know I can't get anything over 250mhz 1:1 with this P.O.S. not-so-"MVP" 'board.

P.S. My biggest complaint with this Asus 'board is the 2T issue. No reason I shouldn't be able to run 1T.

I'll pick up the 'board when DFI releases a BIOS that fixes everthing. Not real keen on BETA's.

btw, do you think there will be any complications with my RAM in this 'board? I've heard that this batch of Redline's don't quite overclock the way Redline's had in the past. I know I can't get anything over 250mhz 1:1 with this P.O.S. not-so-"MVP" 'board.

P.S. My biggest complaint with this Asus 'board is the 2T issue. No reason I shouldn't be able to run 1T.

Hey, what's up SkruB! We've ran into each other at like 4 different sites now! lol

Yea, don't know if you saw my post at DriverHeaven... I ordered the DFI CFX3200-DR a few days ago! I couldn't take the A8R-MVP anymore.

2GB RAM kits not running in 1T was one of the problems... The fluctuating (and limited) Vcore and the random reboots got VERY annoying after a while.

My 148 got up to 2882MHz fully stable on the MVP (due to stupid Vcore, but it will go higher). Yours got up to 3025MHz, right? Was it fully stable? I can't wait to hit 3.0GHz stable with this board, and in 1T! :rolleyes:

-------------

Angry_Games, would you happen to have this exact 2GB G.Skill Extreme DDR 500 F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ kit to test on the CFX3200-DR? That kit is very popular on the AMD forums (so is DFI) and a lot of people have it, including myself. Thanks.