Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

Hey, CouGaR! Small world, eh? It is the mobo, that binds us! LOL!

Anyways, no, the only thing wrong with it was 3D instablility. Passed prime95 all week long, 3DMark05 was cool, FarCry/BF2/CS:S all crashed, no matter what I changed in the BIOS....but enough about that 'board, can't wait to get it out of this case....back on topic:

Anyone else planning on running some Mushkin Redline PC-4000 on this 'board? I'm looking to get these sticks to run about 265-275mhz 1:1, @1T.

I would seriously crap myself....

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, CouGaR! Small world, eh? It is the mobo, that binds us! LOL!

Anyways, no, the only thing wrong with it was 3D instablility. Passed prime95 all week long, 3DMark05 was cool, FarCry/BF2/CS:S all crashed, no matter what I changed in the BIOS....but enough about that 'board, can't wait to get it out of this case....back on topic:

Anyone else planning on running some Mushkin Redline PC-4000 on this 'board? I'm looking to get these sticks to run about 265-275mhz 1:1, @1T.

I would seriously crap myself....

Hi,

I'm planning on running the Mushkin XP4000 eXtreme Performance 2Gb Kit on the CFX3200-DR mobo and with any luck it will be arriving in a couple of days :)

My current mobo is the Asus A8R-MVP.. but I wasn't happy with it's performance and expecially with Asus support.. so hoping this new mobo will do a little bit more than the A8R did.

-Toby

Dear simonmaltby:

Thanks for choosing DFI products.

We have noticed the issues described in your post on this forum.

First of all, we would like to say, according to our internal tests result; the performance of DFI CFX3200-DR is obviously better than ASUS. We are very confidence about this point.

Secondly, most of memory module manufacturers have various models with the same speed but equipped with different memory chips. Those memory modules may look the same, however as we all know, different memory chips will certainly lead to very different performances and test results. It would be important for us to find out the exact model name of the memory modules used in your test. In the meanwhile, please also provide us the detail overclock configuration mentioned in your post. We understand your frustration. However enable us to help you further; we will need to conduct simulation tests based on the components and overclock setting you did in your tests. And it will be the best if we would rebuild the exact system environment of yours.

Therefore, we would be grateful if you could capture your overclock setting by CPUZ or any similar utility program and send those setting alone with exact model names of the memory modules to us.

Many thanks for the reply to my post. It is very reasuring to know that you are keen to help.

I spent hours and hours over the weekend on this and have had to stop for work now. I will do some comparison screen shots later today.

I have abandoned the Phase and am concentrating on Air for now.

My exact setup is.

AMD FX60 with Si120 HS and Silent 120mm 1400rpm fan

Gskill 4000 HZ (2x 1GB) Ram or OCZ 3200 Plat Rev 2 (TCCD) 1 GB (2 x 512MB)

Seasonic 600W PSU

Connect 3D X1900 Xfire Card

Connect 3D X1900 XT-X Card

2 x WD 150GB Raptors in Raid 0

2 x Hitachi 250GB SATA II Drives in Raid 0

NEC 16x DVD Drive

Coolermaster Stacker Case

Saitek USB keyboard

Razer Diamondback Mouse

I have obtained some stability using the following:

Standard Bios

1. Disable IRQ for USB - makes the keyboard work in dos

2. Enable USB keyboard Support

3. FSB to 200

4. Ram fixed at 200 with times set to 2.5,3,3,8 7ns 5.5ns (SPD 250 3,4,4,8)

5. Turn off the DFI boot screen

6. DDR Volts to 2.75

7. All other Volts to stock

8. Enable ULI Raid

9. Turn secondary raid to SATA only

Set CPU Multi to 14 (default is 13)

Here is a screen shot at this speed...

http://www.motormice.com/_images/dfi-2800.JPG

This is comparable to your test results.

This is stable, altough not pushing hard at all.

The 250 mem divider does not work to allow me to run the Gskill at 250 - its stock speed.

I also can not boot above 230FSB regardless of multi and RAM settings.

Following the time i spent this weekend its the Graphics performance of the DFI that is way below the Asus. The DFI Has many settings in this area in the Bios.

Could we have a breakdown of what each of these does?

Questions...

1. Does the DFI lock the PCI and PCI-E Bus? (Cant see a setting in the Bios and cant read using Clock gen as inacurate)

2. Any ideas why Cross Fire performance may be down on the Asus

3. Can we fix the memory divider issues.

4. There are several settings for HTT Strength in the bios... what do these do?#

Please feel free to contact me direct.

MSN: [email protected]

email: [email protected]

Questions...

1. Does the DFI lock the PCI and PCI-E Bus? (Cant see a setting in the Bios and cant read using Clock gen as inacurate)

2. Any ideas why Cross Fire performance may be down on the Asus

3. Can we fix the memory divider issues.

4. There are several settings for HTT Strength in the bios... what do these do?#

1. yes and yes, they are ALWAYS locked on our boards. Period

2. we don't mfg ASUS boards so we can't and won't answer ASUS questions

3. it will be looked at in future bioses. Try OCZ Tony's beta bios in the meantime

4. read the AMD Overclocking section, specifically the big Overclocking Guide. It may not answer all of the new strength options specifically, but you will understand what drive strengths are better and can correlate them across many boards (that all run AMD cpu's since this is a setting specific to AMD cpu's)

An interesting one..

I decided to try from scratch again. Same equipment, slightly better general cooling. This is using the Gskill RAM

Booted fine at 250FSB

Set ram at 200 3.0, 4,8,4 7ns and 5.5ns

Set CPU to 11x (close enough to stock)

I say booted - Bios fine - this is more than had before

I tried booting windows and got NTLDR corrupt.

Knocked it back to stock > rebooted to OS on second partition was ok

Set it back to 250FSB and rebooted

This then corrupted the second partition.

Conclusion that something is not locking properly with regards to the ULi Raid controller??? Both partitions were on raid 0 using the ULi.

What do you think?

I tried Tony's bios and found no difference in stability. Although it did prevent the Si raid and SATA drivers from working and caused havok with the LAN drivers. 32 bit XP

Perhaps these settings help you to get your RAM stable:

UCCC: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpo...59&postcount=26

TCCD: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpo...96&postcount=13

Set all the timings manually in BIOS.

Regarding HT drive strenghts which have nothing to do with DRAM drive strength: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpo...65&postcount=69

Regarding DRAM drive strength: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpo...56&postcount=14

Hi Angry_Games,

I just got my board yesterday and I have to admit this is my very first DFI :) . Highly recommended from fellow friends. In any case I am experiencing some wierd things. For example, I have updated the bios with the latests that is available at the DFI support site 3/28 i believe is the bios date. Well what happens is that when a change is done in the BIOS whatever it might be, whether changing power save or perusing the BIOS after I save the changes and login to windows, I then reboot to go back in to the BIOS. Once I am back in the bios I can no longer access certain sections of the BIOS. lets say the BIOS was setup in numerical values vartical, I am at 1 and try to go to 2 and it goes directly to 3, the same if try to goto to 4 it goes to 5, basically i can only access every other setting in the bios. AS well when I am in the setting area it behaves in the same manor only letting me goto every other item. In order for me to correct this I have to clear CMOS, unfortunetely it is not a premanent solution as it keeps happening and requieres me to clear cmos everytime. In order to save time I have saved a profile in CMOS reloaded to make life easier but it is not the solution I am looking for Also I have changed the setting for USB keyboard and mouse but I still cannot use a USB keyboard and mouse. I am a newbie when it comes to DFI, hopefully it is a user error but any help is welcomed.

PC Configuration:

DFI CFX3200 - DR

Amd +4400 X2

Zalman CPU fan

Corsair 3500LLPRO 2GB

ATI X1900 AIW 256

Sound Blaster Audigy2 Platinum (recycled from old PC)

2x 74GB WD Raptor Raid 0

2x 250GB WD Cavier Raid 0

Logitech MX3000 Laser Bluetooth keyboard mouse

Win XP Media Center Edition 2005

Dell 2405FPW

first thing you need to do is make a sig with that hardware info in it before you do anything else

second thing is that if you are having problems after flashing a bios, a full cmos clear sometimes helps, other times you must flash back to previous bios version

simon: if you are wanting to discuss overclocking, you must start a thread in the AMD Overclocking section

this section is NOT for overclocking.

and yes, setting your memory anything above 200Mhz (DDR400) is considered overclocking, regardless of what your memory is rated for since the cpu's are STILL only rated to do 200Mhz (DDR400) on the memory controller.

and yes, setting your memory anything above 200Mhz (DDR400) is considered overclocking, regardless of what your memory is rated for since the cpu's are STILL only rated to do 200Mhz (DDR400) on the memory controller.

Really? I thought rev E and higher A64's memory controller has official support for upto 250Mhz (DDR500).

You might want to get caught up on what is real and what is "they" said. Huge difference in what we think we saw and what is...woke me up as well.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=417309 Interesting 'read' about definitions and 'how' we think we understand them. Neither one of these guys is newb or clown. Big difference between supporting something and it actually working when you read the white papers.

RGone...

Really? I thought rev E and higher A64's memory controller has official support for upto 250Mhz (DDR500).