Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

there is no fix at this time

DFI is still waiting on ULI/Nvidia to provide a fix for this, but that is not likely to happen since ULI is of course owned by Nvidia and they have no interest in fixing something for an ATI-based motherboard =(

That's too bad. Would have been the best Socket 939 board ever built.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the quick reply Happy_Games.:)

That is a shame and very short sighted of Nvidia.

Do you know if a RMA will fix the problem or is it just luck of the draw on weather the board you get will have this glitch?

I have read the large thread about this problem and it seems pretty random as to who has this.:confused:

It is pretty random. For instance, Frank at DFITS sez my board was receiving the error until he loaded the default BIOS. He also sez that Windows XP OEM had the problem but MS Windows XP didn't. Now this was my RMA board. The original board had the problem and it simply wouldn't go away. I'd tried nearly every trick anybody'd found in that post before doing an RMA.

Truly unfortunate because this board kicks serious nutz. Still, I haven't had any problems after the RMA and I'm not about to flash to a newer BIOS (sig needs changing, I'm on 4/28) because it works fine and I don't want to take any chances.

This board doesn't, unfortunately, seem to be a perfect design even besides the "ULI issue" (which, btw, isn't RAID related - to me it still happens with just a single WD Raptor as boot drive...).

Something strange happens when overclocking, too - when I raise the memory clock in async mode, both sound and graphics go slightly but definitely out of sync, causing artifacts... :( So, instead of 2640 MHz, it's now the standard 2200 MHz.

The only bright side: now, un-overclocked and only using the slower disk controller, the system works about perfectly. What I love about DFI is its fan control, making a truly silent computer an easy thing to do. So, while I feel I wasted some of my money on this board, the end result isn't bad. It just isn't what I expected and hoped for...

An ironic thing, but... The reason I moved to this DFI was my hobby of making music. NForce 4 has some serious problems with handling multichannel, low latency audio... So, eventually I just traded some problems with others. An expensive experiment. :( Well, at least this DFI seems to take care of audio better, so things could be worse...

the funny thing is though, the sil is not the slower controller at all.. my sata 2 drive is considerably faster in the sil than the uli back when it was still half-assedly functioning. now, the controller seems to be just completely dead. it doesnt even freeze anymore, it just restarts. i have been pretty luckyy with the oc department i guess, i got my opty 170 to 2.8ghz stable, and its not that good of a stepping. if i was to take an educated guess at what is causing all this crap, i would say its the bios. i swear, at one point, someone will report that changing some arbitrary value that doesnt even relate to the controller will fix the issue. i mean, has anyone noticed that the board wont boot off the silicon controller with lan 2 enabled? i mean, just wtf...

the funny thing is though, the sil is not the slower controller at all.. my sata 2 drive is considerably faster in the sil than the uli back when it was still half-assedly functioning. now, the controller seems to be just completely dead. it doesnt even freeze anymore, it just restarts. i have been pretty luckyy with the oc department i guess, i got my opty 170 to 2.8ghz stable, and its not that good of a stepping. if i was to take an educated guess at what is causing all this crap, i would say its the bios. i swear, at one point, someone will report that changing some arbitrary value that doesnt even relate to the controller will fix the issue. i mean, has anyone noticed that the board wont boot off the silicon controller with lan 2 enabled? i mean, just wtf...

its the same for me only in reverse if i disable lan2 it forces the sil3114 to display as sata link and no sata raid no matter if i changed it to raid 5 in bios it would remain at sata link weird eh?

Now I'm trying the 3/28 original release bios with the beta f6 drivers. I set up two RAID0 arrays on the ULI controller and transferred a 4 gig movie file from one array to the other about 5 times without any issues last night.

I also grabbed a 20 dollar SIL 3132 PCI-E 1X RAID card off ebay just to see if I can boot from a card. If I can do that I will get a decent card and run my SCSI drives and be done with the controllers..

i for one am well chuffed at the o/c capabilities of this board i have never seen 300mhz htt x 8 (2400mhz 1.375v + 107%, 1200ldt) before now prime stable 19hrs canceled (lol i want to make sure it is stable, can only achieve 8x multi though looks like it hits a barrier between 2400 and 2500mhz)