Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

No dice. Updated BIOS and drivers, still getting the same errors.

Time for a replacement. I'm going to request an RMA due to a bad chip. Although my experience with DFI isn't bad by a long shot, I'm sick of dealing with this error.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No dice. Updated BIOS and drivers, still getting the same errors.

Time for a replacement. I'm going to request an RMA due to a bad chip. Although my experience with DFI isn't bad by a long shot, I'm sick of dealing with this error.

So for definite you think bad manufacturing processes?

would it not be anything remotely related to board pcb design rather than the chip ?

Don't forget the DFI is an overclocker board,... and i like it,,, the Asus is a "classic board"... Personally when i see the OC i hagve allways have and perf i have with DFI, i will not change for any other board ( specially with my BH5)

DOn't begin try do some comparaison... The Asus have nothing to do with DFI..

------

Bios flashed with new bios..:

One thing .. now i have 2 COntroller SCSI SATA raid....

here a screen:

sysci2.jpg

Is there any way of getting a single HDD to work on the Sil controller as well as two HDDs in RAID 0?

I need to rule out if it's the ULi controller that's causing these freezes, but I need this single HDD for Windows.

Is there any way of getting a single HDD to work on the Sil controller as well as two HDDs in RAID 0?

I need to rule out if it's the ULi controller that's causing these freezes, but I need this single HDD for Windows.

first Jimi, let us recognize that you have 160+ posts and you still cannot be bothered to read the rules, specifically rule #10 that says you MUST have a location filled in so we know where you are from (and I'll give ya a hint...don't fill it in with a fake location).

Next we'll answer your question. The SI3114 is more than capable of running a single drive as well as RAID. The performance of the SI3114 is pretty unextraordinary...it's a controller scheme that is about 4 or 5 years old and is probably worse in performance than the NF3 and NF4 IDE controller honestly. I avoid using it when possible because the only thing it really is for is extra drives for storage.

This doesn't mean it is so slow as to be useless...put a couple of RAID0 drives in and it is decent...but by no means anything like the integrated Nvidia and ATI controllers

Third I can guarantee you that the SI3114 will not exhibit the same symptoms as the ULI controller...and if it does, it is indicative of a much larger problem. But under the circumstances you and others are in with the ULI controller, I am quite sure you will find that the 'freezing' and event errors that you have on teh ULI controller are not present in the SI3114 controller, regardless of single drive or RAID (this is one of the good things about the SI3114 being an older controller...it's only real problem is lack of blazing speed compared to today's newer, faster, yet less mature controllers that are integrated into motherboards).

I don't have any answers for you or anyone else because if the latest BIOS and drivers did not fix the problem, then there's nothing I can really do. You'll have to decide what to do about the problem (not use the ULI, send the board back for refund, etc).

Personally I still use the 3200DR with 3x80GB RAID-0 and I never had these issues until I flashed to this bios and installed this latest driver on my main rig, though the symptoms did show up on another 3200DR test system that I have. They are not fixed for me either.

I pretty much just ignore them because they don't actually interfere with anything I am doing other than an annoying disk 'click' once an hour and a slight hitch in any game I am playing (if I am not playing a game, I only hear the click but I don't notice a slight freeze like I do when in a game).

The major difference between you and I is that since I didn't have to purchase any of this hardware, I can accept it and live with it without feeling too upset. If I had to purchase it with my money, I'd be a bit up in arms like you guys are for sure, but at the same time, I'd tell myself that while I was demanding that it be fixed, it DID work without any real problems in the meantime, and it does play all the games with an extremely nice overclock on both the cpu and gpu for me.

You should decide what is important to you and then take action to resolve the situation for yourself. I can't tell you what to do, and I won't even suggest what you should do since we are very different persons.

Just know that if it is not fixed for you, that you are not alone. But also keep in mind that I nor this forum can be of any help in fixing it other than putting you in contact with the person(s) who can get around to resolving it (just in case anyone wants to raise hell here about this issue in a nasty way, don't even bother because I don't have time to deal with it).

What I will suggest is that you and everyone having this problem keep the pressure up non-stop until DFI gets ULI/Nvidia to resolve the issue, or else you might never see a resolution.

You also must take into consideration that you might never get a satisfactory resolution now that ULI is owned by Nvidia.

first Jimi, let us recognize that you have 160+ posts and you still cannot be bothered to read the rules, specifically rule #10 that says you MUST have a location filled in so we know where you are from (and I'll give ya a hint...don't fill it in with a fake location).

Next we'll answer your question. The SI3114 is more than capable of running a single drive as well as RAID. The performance of the SI3114 is pretty unextraordinary...it's a controller scheme that is about 4 or 5 years old and is probably worse in performance than the NF3 and NF4 IDE controller honestly. I avoid using it when possible because the only thing it really is for is extra drives for storage.

This doesn't mean it is so slow as to be useless...put a couple of RAID0 drives in and it is decent...but by no means anything like the integrated Nvidia and ATI controllers

Third I can guarantee you that the SI3114 will not exhibit the same symptoms as the ULI controller...and if it does, it is indicative of a much larger problem. But under the circumstances you and others are in with the ULI controller, I am quite sure you will find that the 'freezing' and event errors that you have on teh ULI controller are not present in the SI3114 controller, regardless of single drive or RAID (this is one of the good things about the SI3114 being an older controller...it's only real problem is lack of blazing speed compared to today's newer, faster, yet less mature controllers that are integrated into motherboards).

I don't have any answers for you or anyone else because if the latest BIOS and drivers did not fix the problem, then there's nothing I can really do. You'll have to decide what to do about the problem (not use the ULI, send the board back for refund, etc).

Personally I still use the 3200DR with 3x80GB RAID-0 and I never had these issues until I flashed to this bios and installed this latest driver on my main rig, though the symptoms did show up on another 3200DR test system that I have. They are not fixed for me either.

I pretty much just ignore them because they don't actually interfere with anything I am doing other than an annoying disk 'click' once an hour and a slight hitch in any game I am playing (if I am not playing a game, I only hear the click but I don't notice a slight freeze like I do when in a game).

The major difference between you and I is that since I didn't have to purchase any of this hardware, I can accept it and live with it without feeling too upset. If I had to purchase it with my money, I'd be a bit up in arms like you guys are for sure, but at the same time, I'd tell myself that while I was demanding that it be fixed, it DID work without any real problems in the meantime, and it does play all the games with an extremely nice overclock on both the cpu and gpu for me.

You should decide what is important to you and then take action to resolve the situation for yourself. I can't tell you what to do, and I won't even suggest what you should do since we are very different persons.

Just know that if it is not fixed for you, that you are not alone. But also keep in mind that I nor this forum can be of any help in fixing it other than putting you in contact with the person(s) who can get around to resolving it (just in case anyone wants to raise hell here about this issue in a nasty way, don't even bother because I don't have time to deal with it).

What I will suggest is that you and everyone having this problem keep the pressure up non-stop until DFI gets ULI/Nvidia to resolve the issue, or else you might never see a resolution.

You also must take into consideration that you might never get a satisfactory resolution now that ULI is owned by Nvidia.

Sorted, where's N. Trashcanistan just out of interest?

Regarding the ULi issue, if these freezes didn't cause DVDs and CD I burn to skip, it wouldn't really bother so much.

i honestly don't know, but that's the excuse I'm using to get a replacement board. I really want to see if it was just a bad run of chips.

I don't think it's a problem with the design because so many people haven't experienced the problem.

yeah you should definitely sue ULI/Nvidia for this problem

let us know how you make out

i'm just voicing what i think should be done here Happy_Games. to many people have experienced this issue with a variety of mobo manufacturers using the same ULi chipset and have paid a great deal for nothing but aggravation for months now. only solution any of them have after 30 days is a replacement for the same motherboard through their respective vendor and what good does that do them when the issue can be had with a board off the shelf today. i damn near became one of them but decided to sit back and monitor the boards for anything that would steer me away and this was the thread that proved me wise in using all of my strength to not take out my Newegg Preferred card and purchase this board in the first month. i know that some are of the lucky few, such as yourself, to not experience this issue but judging by the posts here and elsewhere there are enough people to get something going legally.

- Robert (PmR)DeathInJune

Sorted, where's N. Trashcanistan just out of interest?

Regarding the ULi issue, if these freezes didn't cause DVDs and CD I burn to skip, it wouldn't really bother so much.

#1 it's on this side of Administratorville, and I'm the mayor, president, and dictator. ;)

#2 that's probably a reason why it doesn't bother me much as I don't use my main rig to rip/burn anything (I have a Pentium4 rig for that stuff so my main rig can be my main gaming musheen).

It's probably not any good hearing me say I don't worry about it then, so now you have a decision to make, and we'll respect any decision you make (and we'd all probably make that decision ourselves if we were in your shoes so you won't make the wrong one whatever you choose).

i'm just voicing what i think should be done here Happy_Games. to many people have experienced this issue with a variety of mobo manufacturers using the same ULi chipset and have paid a great deal for nothing but aggravation for months now. only solution any of them have after 30 days is a replacement for the same motherboard through their respective vendor and what good does that do them when the issue can be had with a board off the shelf today. i damn near became one of them but decided to sit back and monitor the boards for anything that would steer me away and this was the thread that proved me wise in using all of my strength to not take out my Newegg Preferred card and purchase this board in the first month. i know that some are of the lucky few, such as yourself, to not experience this issue but judging by the posts here and elsewhere there are enough people to get something going legally.

- Robert (PmR)DeathInJune

Pretty good decision then if you decided to see what other users were going through.

I try to do the same thing before I spend any of my own money on my own personal items

Usually means that I end up with good stuff without too much headache.

#1 it's on this side of Administratorville, and I'm the mayor, president, and dictator. ;)

#2 that's probably a reason why it doesn't bother me much as I don't use my main rig to rip/burn anything (I have a Pentium4 rig for that stuff so my main rig can be my main gaming musheen).

It's probably not any good hearing me say I don't worry about it then, so now you have a decision to make, and we'll respect any decision you make (and we'd all probably make that decision ourselves if we were in your shoes so you won't make the wrong one whatever you choose).

#1. Oh I see, so there's the rules for the plebs (Us) and there's, well there's no rules for you is there. That's probably why I always hear people say that DFI-Street isn't such a friendly place to be, dictators aren't generally so friendly. But what do I know huh.

#2. I put all available cash into this computer I built expecting it to be the best, it's not. As much as I'd, I can't just go out a buy new parts just like that, I have to save as I have other bills to pay. I will be getting rid of this mainboard there's no doubt about that, when though is a completely different matter. And saying that people should take up their issues with ULi is just wrong, DFI are the ones who manufactured the mainboard, it's their problem.