IHS Removal Tutorial (AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!)

Angry_Games

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One quick question: In the video, there is a pretty wide black seal around the IHS, but on my new Opteron 165 and old X2 4200+, I can't even tell there is a seal (the black stuff) around the IHS. The gap is very narrow, can't fit a razorblade. Is it impossible to remove the IHS on those? I've seen many people with delidded 165:s, how did you do it? Searched the thread but haven't found anything.

btw the ihs's could be collected and fashioned into scale-mail!

I'm gonna try it again with a different exacto knife attachment.... wish me luck :X

-----------------------------------

box cutter, exactoknife failure... box knife hit my finger once, did nothing, and the dug into me the second go :/ But i clot good so after profuse bleeding for a minute it stopped, and i got a good abndaide that sticks well.

ill read slicks' stuff, but im almost tempted to dremel! if not for the little pieces of metal that would go everywhere and the possible slipage

its frustrating me... i cant see the hole at the top like everyone who has done it says. I can abrely fit my exactoknife in, but the blades arent strong enough. when i did get under the ihs i couldnt get deep, and it required a lot more force than the movie ...

should i use a razor like in the movie? i wanted to but coulndt find one here... gilette confused me

Ok for those of you who are confused about what razors to use go to Hell-Mart go to the shaving isle, look for a package of Personna Double Edge Platinum Chrome Stainless Steel Razor blades they come in a 10 pack and cost ~$1.70. Those blades work perfect, they are thin enough to go between the ihs and the cpu. On the newer cpus an exacto knife or anything else will not work the blade is too thick.

Reelfiles, I removed the stock retention bracket and tightened down the cooler until the cooler wouldn't move around easily, and it seems to be working. My work schedule has been pretty hectic lately so the only store that is open when I'm not at work is Hell-Mart, and I could not find anything there that I could use. So far my idle temp is ~29 and my load temp is 40 with my X2 @ 2600Mhz and 1.45v, I got it to 2700Mhz and had it 8 hours memtest stable, but it will only run Orthos for about 30 seconds. Still need to do some tweakin in the bios probably.

Ok right now I'm sitting at 2800Mhz with my ram at DDR 400, memtest stable 31 passes, but to get it to boot into windows I had to up my voltage to 1.5. I haven't run Orthos yet, but things are looking good. And I love the Merlin bios that man is a genius. I can't wait to get my Redlines back from mushkin so I can really get this thing cranked.

VOILA

did it.

but my motherboard restarts constantly :/ C1 cand reboot.

So i tried it in my other older dfi cfx3200 with the 2 ram slots that were broke and it got to 29 error code with 1 stick of ram, processor, and psu being the only components

Unfortunately the procedure is not without risk. After removing the IHS did you carefully inspect all of the little capacitors and what not around the edges of the cpu? Are any of them damaged? Any other visible damage to the cpu as a result of your problems getting the IHS off?

Well, I got up the nerve to try this today. My reason for doing it was the difference in the temperature of the cores, which was 10-11c at load and 4-5c at idle. The IHS is more of a Load Spreader than anything anyway so off it came.

Of course I read this whole thread and other documents for hours and it seem to be pretty straight forward so I went ahead and did a test run on my beloved 3000+ Venice. I tell you I was shaking but it came off pretty easily.

I took the gpu shim from a 9800pro and surprisingly it is the exact size of the opteron pcb, the thickness is also very very close .002.003", and dabbed a tiny little dot of black silicone in the corners and placed it on the cpu and then installed the HSF. It worked fine, all was well.

The Venice went so smoothly I started on my new Opty 180 (had for 3 days:) and went to it, of course all the while sweating it big time.

I installed it just as I had with the Venice and ..... the dreaded long beep.... I removed the HSF to make sure it was making contact and it was. Reinstalled it a couple of times Cleared the bios etc... still the beep. So I checked for bent pins and stuff, nothing there. By this time I'm freaking the heck out. My wife just rolls here eyes at me (she thought I had toasted it) Finally checked the socket... and there it was.. a tiny piece of the silicone rubber that I had cleaned from the processor was in a socket hole!

All fixed now and some improvement all around. A good 7-9c drop on both cores, but they still have about 5-8c difference between them. Othos stable for about 45min @ 3ghz (still tweaking) Heat spreader?? lol I wonder who thought that up..

,Levi

Heat spreader?? lol I wonder who thought that up..

Not an enthusiast buddy, that's for sure. :D

Glad it went well. I've done 4 socket 939 processors. 3 out of 4 of them I've cut myself on, the last one was bad enough I probably should have had stitches. But then I'm impatient...

:)