IHS Removal Tutorial (AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!)

Angry_Games

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

went from 45c idle to 37 idle 60 100% to 46 100% id have to say that was the best thing iv ever done ... more exciting than doing 55mhp on a snowboard in the trees!!! lol really i think i had a minnor heart atack cut off some of the chip 2 still worked amazing

sandiego 4000+ the contact was almost gone on this thing to no wonder i was geting 60c :]

• 2 months later...
I can't seem to get a razor blade between my ihs and the chip :( on my 3800+ it looks like its mounted different than the cpu in the video.

Sometimes it helps if you soften up the adhesive a little bit. There are various methods discussed on this subject all over the place. My preferred method is to soak the processor with Rosinol lighter fluid. Now while this may sound dangerous, I've removed the IHS on several different AMD processors, starting back with the 3000 Venice using this method, and I've never ruined a processor.

Some people swear by putting the cpu in the freezer for a while, but me, I prefer the lighter fluid method. And the lighter fluid leaves ZERO residue if cleaned up properly after the procedure.

Just no smoking or open flames :)

I can't seem to get a razor blade between my ihs and the chip :( on my 3800+ it looks like its mounted different than the cpu in the video.

make sure you have one of those ultra-thin double-edged razor blades like I used in the video. I took scissors and cut mine in half, and it slips right under the IHS. You sorta have to 'saw' a little bit sometimes to get the blade under the first corner, but once you get the blade under that first corner, it pretty much slices like butter (just make sure and be careful, if you hose a piece of bread with some butter, you just get a new piece of bread cuz it's like...$.02 a slice lol...not $100 per slice with a cpu!)

oh ya once you get it under that first corner then you don't 'saw' anymore, just you carefully put pressure on the blade as you force it through the remaining epoxy/rubber seal that holds the IHS on.

I tried it on a dead cpu first to get the hang of it, then I tried it on a cheapo ($30) Sempron second and after the second one, no problem at all, I had the hang of it. I know not everyone has a dead or cheapo cpu to try it on, but as long as you watch the vid and are extremely careful, you won't have any issues ;)

• 3 weeks later...

i just tried this on my x2 3800 but i didnt get a chance to test it since i broke my motherboard last night, and in the process of removing the IHS i knocked off one of the chips/capacitors on the CPU. luckily its not my main processor and it was most likely junk anyway. i bought it off of ebay and the dude sent it to me in tissue paper. Tissue Paper!! it started acting funky (lagging,crashing apps, BSODs) so i bought a x2 4200. now that i know the deal im gonna get a nice sharp blade and do it on my 4200.

i was amazed at how heavy the IHS was compared to the actual processor

• 1 month later...

Is the Thermalright XP-90 air cooler O.K. to use on a de-lidded 4200+ X2 cpu?

Or is an XP-90 considered a "clip-on" cooler that should not be used?

I'm worried about what Angry_Games said in post #21 above,

-"however...anyone that uses a clip-on heatsink

with a cpu missing it's IHS is very foolish"

Would I probably be OK if I use my XP-90 & AS Ceramique after I take off the IHS on my new 4200+ X2?

Scott,

You can use any cpu heatsink that has;

1. A heatsink base small enough to fit down inside of the socket without resting on the socket itself. Once you remove the IHS, standard clip on type heatsinks wont make contact with the processor core anymore because by design they rest on the socket ledges as well as the IHS of the processor.

and

2. Has a bolt on design that allows you to finely adjust the tension of the mounting bracket so you don't chip or crush the processor core during installation.