IHS Removal Tutorial (AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!)

Angry_Games

wevsspot,

Thank you for your excellent reply.

The XP-90 base is much larger than the cpu so from your comments it clearly won't work. So I'll have to buy something else, which I'll try to buy from SVC.com so as to help this board with a rebate.

Could you perhaps mention any good air-cooling heat sink models known to work well with a de-lidded AMD cpu? It's in a huge CM Stacker case so thre's plenty of room for a tall one if necessary.

Quite a few of the above posters don't put specs in their sigs, or are using expensive water coolers. It's not clear if the others are showing the coolers they used before or after they de-lidded their cpu's.

Thank you.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott,

You need to be looking for a cpu heatsink that has mounting hardware that allows you to ditch the oem mounting bracket and lets you use a four stud/washer/nut installation instead.

The Zalman 9700 or Thermaltake BigTyphoon work for sure, because I've got both.

Also, might check the base width and length as well as mounting hardware on the Tuniq Tower and some of the Scythe units. They may work also.

Tuniq tower 120 works great, that's what I use on my naked Opty 170.

Well I just read reviews of Tuniq tower 120, Zalman 9700, Thermaltake BigTyphoon, and Thermalright 120 ultra extreme.

It's questionable if the base size on the Thermalright 120 ultra extreme would fit, although that cooler appears to rate the highest performance.

So the Tuniq tower 120 appears to rate the best performance reviews among the other three, and ReelFiles confirms that its base fits, so that's what I plan to shop for. That and a thin razor blade!

Thank you both, wevsspot and ReelFiles. And thank you Angry Games for the tutorial video.

My Zalman 9500 should work right? Or should I remove my cpu retention bracket and mount it directly to the backplate?

I believe the heatsink base on the 9500 is the same width and length as the one on the 9700. If that is indeed true, your 9500 would work just fine. However, if you have a "naked" cpu then you will need to ditch the original cpu retention bracket and mount your heatsink directly to the backplate.

The easiest way to do that is to get four machine screws of the appropriate length and diameter, four flat washers and/or lock washers and four nuts that fit your screws. Then mount directly to the backplate. (Wing nuts work extremely well up top too and are generally easier to deal with than standard type nuts).

For an extemely solid mounting put your four machine screws through the motherboard and then use an insulation washer on each stud, a flat washer, then a lock washer and then standard type nuts to secure your studs to the motherboard before installing the cpu heatsink and topside mounting bracket.

So the Tuniq tower 120 appears to rate the best performance reviews among the other three, and ReelFiles confirms that its base fits, so that's what I plan to shop for. That and a thin razor blade!

Thank you both, wevsspot and ReelFiles. And thank you Angry Games for the tutorial video.

You're welcome. I think you made a great choice going with the Tuniq Tower. It's a fine heatsink.

Careful with the razorblade :)

A great way to soften up the adhesive is to use some Rosinol Lighter fluid. I've used it to remove the IHS and clean up many a processor with never any ill effects. It does a great job getting the adhesive pretty soft and pliable so you can get a razor blade up under the corners of the IHS. There are other methods that many people have recommended too. The best thing is that it is residual free once you've got it all cleaned up.

The XP-90 WILL work on a de-lidded CPU...

you have to put washers the thickness of the IHS between the clips and the heatsink base...

I have one on my 3G's 148...had I mean I sold the chip...but it worked none the less...but I doubt very seriously it will keep up with cooling demands..? mine hit 50c on 1.6v on the 148 opty...

EDIT: Wont be sufficient enough to overclock....I just popped a 4200-x2 in my sli-dr and I upped it to 220x11 (2400mhz) with 1.36v and it sitting loaded at 52c...so there is your answer...

I believe the heatsink base on the 9500 is the same width and length as the one on the 9700. If that is indeed true, your 9500 would work just fine. However, if you have a "naked" cpu then you will need to ditch the original cpu retention bracket and mount your heatsink directly to the backplate.

The easiest way to do that is to get four machine screws of the appropriate length and diameter, four flat washers and/or lock washers and four nuts that fit your screws. Then mount directly to the backplate. (Wing nuts work extremely well up top too and are generally easier to deal with than standard type nuts).

For an extemely solid mounting put your four machine screws through the motherboard and then use an insulation washer on each stud, a flat washer, then a lock washer and then standard type nuts to secure your studs to the motherboard before installing the cpu heatsink and topside mounting bracket.

Ok now I'm confused. The Zalman 9500 mounts using a spring clip that bolts through the retention bracket into the backplate. If I de-lided my 3800 should I just remove the retention bracket to make up for the difference in space?

Here is a link to the cooler on the zalman website, look at the installation video for socket 939 and you will see what I am talking about http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.a...dx=165&code=005

Ok I don't know what I am doing wrong but I bought the thinest razor blades I could find and they will not fit between the IHS and the cpu :( the razor blade will only go in maybe 1/64 of an inch, and like I stated before it looks way different than the one angry does in the video, you cannot see the seal nor is there the little indent.

I had to go around the edge several times on mine, before I actually felt the blade 'grabbing'. I didn't have a notch in mine either. Just be sure to go very lightly, eventually it will penetrate. Post a pic of the CPU and blade, if it really won't go in.