DFI Expert CPU temp sensor reporting incorrectly?

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, not knowing what you emailed it may have made a difference since you may have mentioned Opteron which I doubt they can answer.

Nope, I didn't mention Opteron at all. I mentioned unusually low temps with my 3000+ venice as opposed to 2 other mother boards I have tried.

Wonder if it could be a batch of bad sensor chips? I'm seeing the problem on my Ultra-d (non expert) with my Opty 165. Temps looks to be about 10C too low when comparing to others with similar clocks.

On a slight tangent - in the BIOS, there are settings for the CPU fan control. I.E. If it's below XX temperature, cut the fan off. Since my CPU at idle reports at 23-25, I can't seem to keep the CPU fan on. Anyone know of a way to override this setting in the BIOS to keep it running all the time? I reliaze I could just use a 4 pin molex, but I'd rather not if at all possible.

Chum

Mods>

May I be allowed to start a new thread that could be stickied to gather data relative to this temperature issue? The thread would be a simple request for those experiencing this issue to post their CPU info in a fixed format for your engineering analysis.

It would be straight and to the point, and much easier to interpret than this multi-page debate.

would you allow this, or create one yourselves?

thanks ahead of time!

Wonder if it could be a batch of bad sensor chips? I'm seeing the problem on my Ultra-d (non expert) with my Opty 165. Temps looks to be about 10C too low when comparing to others with similar clocks.

On a slight tangent - in the BIOS, there are settings for the CPU fan control. I.E. If it's below XX temperature, cut the fan off. Since my CPU at idle reports at 23-25, I can't seem to keep the CPU fan on. Anyone know of a way to override this setting in the BIOS to keep it running all the time? I reliaze I could just use a 4 pin molex, but I'd rather not if at all possible.

Chum

my opty 170 on my ultra-d idles at the same temps, and i also think its 10C off.

when i run prime, within a minute i see the temp skip about 8-12C from low 30's into the 40's. it just completely skips the numbers...

Well someone is reading them

Dear Customer,

Thank you for submitting us the query again. Regarding the thermal detection issue we still clarifying for exact root(s), the most possibility was pointed to CPU integrated sensor(s). Therefore we would like replacing CPU with you by equivalence or similar spec. AFTER receive your parcel of CPU we would send out the replacement CPU and reduce the pending at your site as we can. Notice that since the exact solution not come out yet and need more analysis on this issue, we will keep you informed in prior while solution come out then (possibly BIOS).

Please also provide us following information if possible:

1. A copy of your purchase invoice from your reseller (for motherboard).

2. The Serial Number of the motherboard

(You may find serial number as label affixed by PCI-e slot in D######## format.)

3. Your postal address and contact details.

4. The reseller you purchased the motherboard from (also the retailer's website address if available)

In case you located at Europe or US region you may contact our branch office for proceed CPU replacement, for detail information you may find within website "Contact Us" section.

Best,

-------------------------------------------------------------

DFI Technical Support Team

100 Huan-Ho St., Hsi-Chih City, Taipei, Taiwan, R. O. C.

http://www.dfi.com

Tel: +886-2-2694-2986

Fax: +886-2-2694-3226

BBS: +886-2-2694-3217

email dfits at dfi.com.tw

certainly appears they are seeking a volunteer for testing.

Any comments from administrators, mods, or Bulldog? or anyone?

Are they saying the thermal sensors in the CPUs could be the culprit?

Hehehehehe. Yeah, right. Off with the FX-60! Not! As a MS red-nake what in hale me know? But from what I see the problem is in many cpus and that they should easily be able to ascertain from their AMD supplier. With one exception and this is PRIME to know. AMD will not furnish any un-supported processors for test to manufacturer not in the process or making boards that support "x" processor. I been there and have my participation T-shirt.

And I know you there MR. soundx98 and how well your email was structured and that is why you are being hit on. You been in the 'biz' a long time and know what to write to move folks.

I ain't got nothing else much to say fur me ownself. Me don't know nuttin else man.

RGone...

Well someone is reading them

certainly appears they are seeking a volunteer for testing.

Any comments from administrators, mods, or Bulldog? or anyone?

Are they saying the thermal sensors in the CPUs could be the culprit?

:D

kinda figured you'd know where I was headin'

Nope, no way they can respond to an Opty.

I thought they'd have a whole lot of chips available to them as well :)

But if somebody had a "spare" A64 or X2 that reported with low temps (or maybe just non a great clocker), they could probably do the community a great favor by volunteering their chip for testing. Worse thing that could happen is you wind up with a better clocking CPU.

Like is said, the issue seems to appear over a great range of processors.

Sure I saw some less expensive testable chips in this thread somewhere.

Wondering why they are not asking for CPU and Board?

Mysteries of the Orient