DFI Expert CPU temp sensor reporting incorrectly?

As stated... bumping this thread is not the way to do that...

Emailing might... [email protected]

FYI:

I finally got my Expert built and this is what I have for stock CPU temps:

Ambient temp: 19C

BIOS reading: 23C

CoolMaster CD4 diode (taped to the side of the IHS): 21.5C

I seem to be bucking the trend. :confused:

do some more actual LOAD testing before you make conclusions and make sure you look up the charts for thermal resistance to know exactly what your load temps are supposed to be exactly over ambient........ if can't be bothered visit OCAU and kindly ask member LHG (Long Haired Git) at OCAU Extreme Cooling Section....the guy's a legend

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone have Tony's latest Expert Bios version running? i may try it to see if there's a change, but i'd rather find out if someone already tried that...

I did no change in temps at all. And its a mod on an older revision, the 11/7 or something, I dont remember what is says.

I am waiting on getting my other radiator in the mail before I take my rig down. I almost have 2.6ghz out of her and loading around 36/38c.

I know I have said this a gazillion times, but, I will get you the info from my chip!!

:angel:

As stated... bumping this thread is not the way to do that...

Emailing might... [email protected]

you're right, which is why bumping this thread IS an effective way to generate more emails concerning this matter to that address!

I've sent two personally, without so much as a read receipt or response for either; so it's my goal to keep this problem on the front page here to generate emails from other expert owners who will see it and send them.

I do not wish to annoy or otherwise take away from the great support found here at the Street, but this issue has me very paranoid in all of my OCing. And considering the fact that DFI is known for being so OC-friendly, I believe that this issue needs to be taken seriously by those within their company who may or not be able to put some pressure on their engineers.

And if you want my totally honest opinion, this issue is worthy of a total recall for the Expert motherboard. Those of us who have one deserve to have a new board sent to us that measures temperatures properly.

after all, how the heck can we run our stock or overclock, which is the Expert boards primary selling point, if we dont know the temps? And in some cases they may be off by as much as 20C!

believe it or not, this is a very serious issue for alot of people.

would adding some kind of front panel tempature probe like a fan controller with temp. probes built in fix this issue, and you could just get the temp reading from the front panel?

that does nothing to actually "fix" the issue, but yes, it is a good idea. I did so with my fan controller simply in order to gather another temperature for comparisons sake.

The problem is that it is almost impossible to mount a probe against the actual core of the chip, so the readings we get from the heatsink, or "near" the cpu are pretty much just as worthless as the temps reported by the board itself...

I've sent two personally, without so much as a read receipt or response for either;

I just wanted to point out that only a few email systems and clients support read receipt functions.

For instance, I do not use MS Outlook or any other email client. I always use a webmail interface. Since the webmail interface does not support the read receipt function you will never know that I opened your email.

Additionally, many people that us an email client that supports the read receipt function turn it off so that you wouldn't know if your email has been read.

You're very mistaken if you believe the lack of a return receipt is a matter of your mail not being read.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking time submit us the query. Since thermal sensor was direct-layout designate from CPU as our feature. The CPU stepping change would also affect the tolerance on presented value. We'd collecting the different stepping/model of CPUs for analysis, therefore we would like to loan or exchange your on-hand CPU as samples if you agree to be the one of volunteers by participate the analysis, please provide required information as listed below for confirmation:

1. A copy of your purchase invoice from your reseller.

2. The Serial Number of the motherboard

3. Your postal address and contact details.

4. The reseller you purchased the motherboard from (also the retailer's website address if available)

For our European and US branch information you may find within website "Contact Us" section.

After the confirmation is established, you may send your original BIOS chip to our European branch within above address for replacement.

Best,

DFI Customer Service Center

Thank You for your prompt response to my e-mail. I am not sure I understand your reply.

"Since thermal sensor was direct-layout designate from CPU as our feature. The CPU stepping change would also affect the tolerance on presented value."

Do you mean the temp sensor readings are totally dependent on CPU that is used? Why would this cause PWMIC and Chipset to read lower as well?

"We'd collecting the different stepping/model of CPUs for analysis, therefore we would like to loan or exchange your on-hand CPU as samples "

Are you saying you will send me a replacement Processor "before" or "after" you receive mine? Do you have an idea of the time involved if you intend to send it "after" you receive the CPU. Will I receive the original CPU after testing if I choose to? If I send in the FX-57 will I receive an FX-57 while you are testing mine?

Are you willing to test 939 Opteron processors as well? (I fully realize that the processors are not currently supported on the board)

please provide required information as listed below for confirmation:

1. A copy of your purchase invoice from your reseller.

Invoice for motherboard or CPU or both?

2. The Serial Number of the motherboard

Do you mean revision number? Or serial number? Can you specify locations for both to insure proper documentation?

For our European and US branch information you may find within website "Contact Us" section.

After the confirmation is established, you may send your original BIOS chip to our European branch within above address for replacement.

This has me very confused. Are you saying the issue can be fixed with a "Bios" modification? If so I am sure I know of several www.dfi-street.com forum members that would be willing to test a modified bios which would surely save on shipping and replacement costs as well as time.

Thanks again for your assistance in this matter. I look forward to your timely reply.

Sincerely Yours,

Carl Bowar aka soundx98

I'll keep you posted. Not sure I follow their reply completely but it certainly appears they are aware of the issue. When issues occured with the NF2s, AG asked for volunteers - RGone, I and another member sent boards in for testing. The "fix" was found and the 6/19 bios was released shortly after. So don't lose faith, while DFI boards may have issues they do try and fix them.

Unfortunately, the Expert board belongs to a close friend (I built the rig) and I am not to sure he will part with a $1000 processor. He's not quite as nerdy as me.

I'll keep you posted. Not sure I follow their reply completely but it certainly appears they are aware of the issue. When issues occured with the NF2s, AG asked for volunteers - RGone, I and another member sent boards in for testing. The "fix" was found and the 6/19 bios was released shortly after. So don't lose faith, while DFI boards may have issues they do try and fix them.

Unfortunately, the Expert board belongs to a close friend (I built the rig) and I am not to sure he will part with a $1000 processor. He's not quite as nerdy as me.

At least you got a reponse, I emailed them almost 2 weeks ago and have not recieved an email back. I hope they can figure it out.