Help me solve this cause I don't want to replace DFI with an Abit or s

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried adding more voltage to the RAM? OCZ rates them at 2.8V.

Default settings don't always work for all memory. I am not saying yours won't, but there are a lot that have not. I would try setting your memory settings manually.

I tell you this has nothing to do with overclocking and temps...it happens even when underclocked. my CPU is a venice it does not put out much heat and the case cas 2x12cm fans anyway...

This is either a setting in the bios that needs to be changed or the board is problematic....I hope it is the first so I can solve it, otherwise I am going for another brand. There is also a very slim chance that this is due to the PSU....but I couln'd explain how.

If you can, try another PSU, but since it recovers, I doubt it is a PSU problem.

Good Luck,

Dave

Kobain, I just flopped some words into google and it linked me right to WoW forum thread now some 16 pages in length and starting around the first of Sept 05 or as the posters are saying about the time of patch 16. Ah hah I say so lets track the thread to see how far it goes and from ~first of sept all the way over to about 9/21/05 which is pretty darn current and patch 1.7 is 'out' > still the WoW is creating problems for users. Interesting reading or not so interesting since I saw no fix for the game but only hit or miss things. The posters blamed Via boards so the Intel rigs came in with the same problems. The Asus setups you mention > well I just copied out one poster having Asus and headed to computer shop to replace his brand shiney new Asus with a Gigabyte board.

Some freeze, some lock and some crash and all basically because of WoW. Long thread and as of about two days ago in the thread and now on patch 1.7 having progressed from 1.6 patch starting the mess it seems> still no fix I saw.

But yeah, I would get a different brand board since it happens to Via, Intel, Nvidia and one user had Asus running to Gigabyte. It ain't a board since all setups seem prone to the problem. So far as I know WoW has caused headaches one way or the other over the last 15 months or so with periods of goodness during that time and that goodness seemed basically all related to what patch was in play at the time. Google search had no problem finding tons of WoW problems but I saw no cures yet either.

Just some copy and paste to give a time line showing it is new problems it seems and not cured yet either.

25. Re: Wow Hardlocks and what else should I try? | 9/2/2005 11:00:28 PM PDT

I have an AMD Atlhon 64 3200+ and an Audigy 2 sound card along with a Nvidia 6800GT. Nothing is overclocked and I'm getting the same issue. I've also tried everything the OP has tried to no avail. This only started happening around the 1.6 Patch and since then I get the same hard lock up and have to push reset or power to recover. I think this has to do with Nvidia/AMD and the game. I know we are the minority but something is VERY WRONG with Nvidia's cards and World of Warcraft. Every other application I have works flawlessly. Please PLEASE work with Nvidia and find out if there is an issue... after all Nvidia "They way its meant to be played!"

38. Re: Wow Hardlocks and what else should I try? | 9/4/2005 10:20:58 AM PDT

I have been having these sorts of problems since I started playing the game about a month ago. Everything I have tried so far has at the very best decreased the crash frequency, but nothing has removed it from my WoW experience. If I knew 100% that buying a new video card or new RAM or even a new PC would solve the problem and would be very likely to do it, but there is no gaurantee I would not still have the issue. Blizzard can you please post several different system specs for platforms you have tested with and experienced no problems with? Please post systems in various price ranges etc so people can at least know... OK this kind of system is tested and WORKS with WoW because Blizzard tested it out. That would be very helpful too.

Thank you fot your time... I'll post system specs or some of the 132 crash logs or whatever you guys need later on.

52. Re: Wow Hardlocks and what else should I try? | 9/4/2005 5:40:08 PM PDT

I was using a temporary setup until my new MB arrived....An Asus A8N-E with exactly the same ram hd video card etc and no lockups ...put in new MB Asus A8n SLI Premium and whammo its basically unplayable..the only difference was SLI ... Any I'm heading back to the computer shop to exchange the asus sli MB for a gigabyte to see if it helps...

63. Re: Wow Hardlocks and what else should I try? | 9/5/2005 3:01:40 AM PDT

I really disagree, crashes in this game are far more prevalent than just affecting 100 people. More than 100 people have posted that they've had this problem in the forums and I'd imagine there could be many times more people that haven't posted.

I've had fairly frequent and varying problems (hard locks, WoW 132 errors, VPU recovers, the occasional windows program crash), usually 3-4 times a day while playing WoW and after I upgraded my ram. (it's not bad ram it was new and i memtested it extensively). All my drivers are also up to date. It's not a cooling problem i've monitored my video card and processor temperatures during playing WoW and they are quite low.I'm considering just quitting and moving on to other games that don't have monthly fees and won't crash so much. I really love this game, but I can't stand all this crashing.

I also find it odd that like 9/10 people that report these problems have asus boards... maybe that's just because 9/10 people own asus boards, I have no clue.

306. Re: Wow Hardlocks and what else should I try? | 9/21/2005 2:34:43 PM PDT

Ok, I'm still having this issue. Sometimes I lockup, sometimes I shutdown and now, since 1.7, I'm getting the random 132 error.

I thought one poster's idea to have 'blizzard' post configurations of boards and video cards and memory in various price ranges that would work with WoW was really tell tale about the many platforms and configurations that Wow was causing problems with. Sounds like a fun game that will hone computer trouble-shooting skills and still come to a point a few days ago where the many had no relief yet it seemed.

RGone...

I was having the same problems in WoW when it first came out. I changed a few settings in the Nvidia LAN drivers to fix my problem. Maybe they will help you out as well. This is what I changed.

Go here: Start < controlpanel < network and internet connections < network connections < right click on the local area connection that is the nvidia one < properties < configure < advanced

that will bring you to the screen to make the changes. From there I turned "Checksum Offload" to disable and changed "optimized for" to throughput.

I have never understood why nvidia set the "optimized for" to default to cpu but thats never a good thing.

That fixed all my WoW problems except for when I think my system is stable after an overclock and i crash out do to a memory error. Hope that helps you.

Guest Spartacus

I had this exact same behavior in HL2. System would look like it's hard locked but then recover 10-20 seconds later. I think the cause has to do with I/O bus contention.... something is hogging the bus and won't let go. When the guilty device gives up control of the bus, that's when the system "recovers". Every other device has to wait to get it's I/O on the bus. That's what causes this "suspended animation" thing.

It may be caused by incorrect latency settings (in the driver) on some devices, or it could be related to those nasty Nvidia IDE drivers. It could be in the Nvidia sound drivers too, I don't know.

Here's what fixed the problem for me:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...36&postcount=29

It may be not so much that it's the "correct" fix, as much that it improves IRQ response to the point that it fixes the problem as a side effect of the improved overall bus performance. It improves performance enough to overcome the problem even without actually fixing the real problem. That's my best guess.

Probably a good idea to lose the Nvidia IDE drivers too. Just remember to manually enable DMA on the stock MS IDE controller drivers.

Let us know if these fixes help.

Rgone I know WoW is a damn buggy game, but listen to this story :

When I bought this machine, a friend of mine bought the exact same setup, only his board was an Asus A8N SLI. He never had this problem :(

This leads me to believe that it has to do with the DFI. Not that the board is problematic essentially, but that some of the settings in bios are different from the default settings in the Asus A8N and this causes the problem.

Anyway, thanks for the help, I will try your solutions 1 by 1 and not together so I know what really fixed the problem (IF it is fixed). So I start with Ginsu's idea and we shall see.

Have you tried any diagnostics? Try running a benchmark program, and see if it still freezes. This sounds like a driver or hardware probelm, but not the mobo. Oh, and you don't want an abit or any other board 'cause you know you will always regret it! What processes are you runnig? Check them in taskManager. I've got a razor mouse but I am not using their drivers, just the mouse driver with windows.

I tried both your ideas and none worked unfortunately :(

To be honest I have not encountered this problem in anything else than WoW, so the game programming must have something to do with it too....then again 95% of my time in the PC is WoW....

However the fact remains that a similar system with an Asus A8N didn't have this problem so I need a solution....I can't jsut take it for granted and move on...it's too annoying being idle for 40sec in an online game...

I had this exact same behavior in HL2. System would look like it's hard locked but then recover 10-20 seconds later. I think the cause has to do with I/O bus contention.... something is hogging the bus and won't let go. When the guilty device gives up control of the bus, that's when the system "recovers". Every other device has to wait to get it's I/O on the bus. That's what causes this "suspended animation" thing.

This is exactly what I am thinking about, and seems to be the most sensible reason. However your solution to it didnt work for me :( I did notice though that after doing what u suggested, I lose the sound at the same time of the video. Previously, the screen would freeze and after 20sec the sound would freeze too and then after another 15sec it would all come back to normal. With your change, I stil got the hardlock but both video and sound freeze at the same moment. I don't know if that helps but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Guest Spartacus

Did you do a fresh install of XP when you installed the new mobo?

Turn off anything not needed in the BIOS (like the second NIC, SATA, etc.).

How much stuff is running in the background (virus scanners, AIM, etc.)?

Did you install the Nvidia firewall junk?

Do you have any PCI cards?

If so, try swapping slots or removing them.

Try with all USB devices disconnected.

Forgive me if I'm asking about things we've already covered, just trying to make sure I mention everything I can think of.

EDIT: Oh yeah.... try decreasing your graphics settings and turn off surround sound (EAX) in WOW if it has that option.

Did you do a fresh install of XP when you installed the new mobo?

Turn off anything not needed in the BIOS (like the second NIC, SATA, etc.).

How much stuff is running in the background (virus scanners, AIM, etc.)?

Did you install the Nvidia firewall junk?

Do you have any PCI cards?

If so, try swapping slots or removing them.

Try with all USB devices disconnected.

Forgive me if I'm asking about things we've already covered, just trying to make sure I mention everything I can think of.

EDIT: Oh yeah.... try decreasing your graphics settings and turn off surround sound (EAX) in WOW if it has that option.

1) Yes it was a brand new machine and I installed everything from the start.

2) Nvidia mixer, MSN and logitech program (for the keyboard) run int he background

3) I had the firewall installed but its disabled

4) I got no other PCI cards, only the GPU

5) My only USB device is the mouse

I will do that with the sound and craphics but I doubt it will change anything.

Also in bios I will try to disable some stuff.