Help me solve this cause I don't want to replace DFI with an Abit or s

I love this game....and hate it at the same time. I know this problem is mostly due to the game being too picky, but I also know that whousands of other PCs don't have these peroblems. And this drives me crazy, because I paid some money to play this game properly (fps wise) and people with 2year old PCs have a better play experience than me...

The CPU is totally stable at these speeds. I also wanted to be sure and started at default speeds (although my RAMs default is 300MHz) but I recieved a blue screen "IRQL not less or equal....." and thought the RAM didnt work that good at 200MHz, thats why I overclocked again. I will try to put those TCCDs at 200MHz 2-2-2-5 and 2.8v to see what happens (it was 2.6V when I had this error).

The only thing I have seen that is common to all PCs that have problems in WoW is that they are AMD systems. I guess those nforce chipset drivers have something to do with it...

I so much like AMD but Intel maing its own chipsets is in the lead in these things :(

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Test the power supply and look at the readings when it freezes, your area might be Getting power surge's, they u know if its your power supply ether failing to produce enough Reulated power or over voltaging.

Get a Multimeter and test all rails see if u can get it when it freezes.

Guest Spartacus

>>The CPU is totally stable at these speeds.

lol... somethings not stable!

Kobain, you can't insist that your system is crashing because it's AMD or Nvidia's fault when you are trying to run at 300x9. Get the system running stable at STOCK speeds and then see how much of a stable OC you can get. It almost sounds like you think the system SHOULD be able to run at 300x9 error free and if it doesn't there's something wrong with it. You can't pick some uber OC numbers and EXPECT the system to run that high. Doesn't work that way.

You may have to face the ugly reality that your 300x9 OC is just not stable and gulp... back it down. :)

>> I will try to put those TCCDs at 200MHz 2-2-2-5 and 2.8v to see what happens (it was 2.6V when I had this error).

Dude, 2.6v is too low even for TCCD. My TCCD wants 2.9v PLUS the .03v option turned on to be stable at 275.

I think the only problem with your rig is a loose nut on the keyboard! j/k :nod:

>>The CPU is totally stable at these speeds.

lol... somethings not stable!

Kobain, you can't insist that your system is crashing because it's AMD or Nvidia's fault when you are trying to run at 300x9. Get the system running stable at STOCK speeds and then see how much of a stable OC you can get. It almost sounds like you think the system SHOULD be able to run at 300x9 error free and if it doesn't there's something wrong with it. You can't pick some uber OC numbers and EXPECT the system to run that high. Doesn't work that way.

You may have to face the ugly reality that your 300x9 OC is just not stable and gulp... back it down. :)

>> I will try to put those TCCDs at 200MHz 2-2-2-5 and 2.8v to see what happens (it was 2.6V when I had this error).

Dude, 2.6v is too low even for TCCD. My TCCD wants 2.9v PLUS the .03v option turned on to be stable at 275.

I think the only problem with your rig is a loose nut on the keyboard! j/k :nod:

I wouldnt mind if i am not stable at 2700....but its the nature of the problems that makes me think its not instability that causes them.

I cant accept that when I freeze and return after 40sec, the CPU or the RAM failed due to OC, because then I would get a non-recoverable freeze, or a reset or something....but not this...

I would be VERY happy to find out that all these problems were just happenning cause I am not at a rock stable OC point, but this cant explain why I was having the exact same problems underclocked...

Right now I am at stock speeds and with 2.8V on the RAM, I will tell you my progress when I have passed more than 20 hours freeze-free.

MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, it has something to do with the sound card. In my comings and goings around various boards I have read of similar symptoms because of sound card incompatibility/problems. Worth a try removing the sound card if you are using one that didn't come with the board .... or if you are using DFI's trying a different driver ...

I just read this: someone got rid of a similar problem by resetting his BIOS to defaults ... not underclocking ...

The post also said that if you have A64Tweaker setup to set your timings to a certain value when you load windows, disable it.

Guest Spartacus
Everything stock in bios and yet the same freeze again....I am seriously ready to throw the tower out of the window. I am thinking of selling the whole thing and going for a laptop.

Sorry you're still having trouble dude.

In just the last two days I also went through some fits getting my rig fine tuned (again).... everything was running very stable except the occasional crash in Farcry. I decided to give it a shake down with Prime95 and found it was not as stable as I thought it was. I went through hours & hours of trying different BIOS settings, pulled CPU and cleaned heatsink, put on fresh compound, the whole bit. I just could not get the system completely stable at 275x10. I think if I could bring down the temps on the CPU, that may be what I need for bigger numbers. Difficult to do with the small case I have (without resorting to jet engine fans or water), and I like the case so that's the way it goes.

I decided to back it down to 250x11 and then run tighter RAM timings. I'm glad I did, I've actually gained performance and now have a completely stable system. Other people may be able to run the same mix of parts I have at higher speeds, but oh well, that's life man. :)

BTW, I'm now running 3.0v plus enabled the .03v option on my TCCD. Any less voltage will give me errors in Prime95 (250FSB, 2.5-3-3-6 timings). I was actually able to turn the CPU volts DOWN a notch though (to 1.60v). I was not expecting that one.

Just telling you all this to let you know you are not alone when it comes to having challenges getting your computer running fast and stable.

The CPU and RAM are VERY PICKY about wanting the right voltage and timings. You will often find that one very small change will totally change the stability of the system (for better or worse). Things like voltages, drive strength, refresh, LDT multiplier, etc..... ALL need to be set correctly or the system will be very unstable. The differene between 2.98v & 3.00v can be huge even though it's a tiny voltage change.

Having a board with many settings is great, but sometimes it can be maddening to figure it all out. :drool: There are times when an average non-OC board seems like a better idea...... nah, that's no fun! :)

Start over from the beginning. Use the same BIOS settings that others are using successfully with your same parts. Many people have posted a complete listing of all of their BIOS settings. Start with plain-jane settings and then work up from there.

Good luck dude!

EDIT: Have you checked for firmware updates on everything including the Raptors? AG usually offers to test your parts if you ship him your stuff. One more option before you toss it out the window. :)

This sounds exactly like your video card throttling to me. Very common with 6800GT's and usually only on OpenGL games. One way to find out, if I remember correctly, is to use RivaTuner and let it monitor your video card clocks and voltages. When the system is frozen, your card will be running at 2D voltage/clocks. Also, this throttling can happen even though your card is showing well below the 115c or so throttling temp.

Fixes:

Open case and let a fan blow on the vid card.

or

Reseat the vid card HSF using AS5. Actually, sometimes just tightening it down some is all it takes.

or

Flash the vid card bios with a modified bios that sets the same voltage for both 2D and 3D operation. I've done that before because it yeilds huge overclocks, but it also makes your card run hotter. My card didn't like running 1.4v for both 2D and 3D. Or was it 1.3v? Can't remember - long time ago.

Another fix that works for some people is to set the 2D and 3D clocks the same. This never worked for me though.

Though you may have a hard time believing this is a throttling issue, just do a few googles. My BFG 6800GT did it as well when playing IL-2 PF. I eventually got an NV5 and that took care of the problem permanently.

Good luck!