2012 Firearms Discussion

Andrewr05

2011 thread here

Misconceptions about firearms in general and/or specific weapons:

•  
  • The capacity of a magazine is largely irrelevant. Anyone with very minimal training can change magazines in ~5 seconds.
    I would much prefer carrying ten 20 rounds mags versus some foolish cumbersome drum magazine or a few 50 rounders.

• The AR in AR-15 DOES NOT stand for Assault Rifle or Assault Rifle but for the Armalite corporation that originally designed the rifle.

• Ar-15s ARE NOT automatic, they only fire one bullet every time you pull the trigger. (The M-16s that are used in the military are actually based off of the AR-15.)

This is how nearly all civilian rifles work.   (actually fully-automatic weapons are completely legal, but excessively expensive to own and quite hard to get permits for)
    If you think that even these types fire too fast... well a skilled shooter can (most likely more accurately) fire off a bolt-action/lever-action rifle just about as fast.

Those types of rifles require you to move a physical object on the gun to extract the previous cartridge and chamber a new round and STILL you can fire them literally as fast as you can move your hands.

The ability to fire lots of bullets is NOT a new concept, these rifles have been around for more than a hundred years, its is the PEOPLE changing not the weapons.

continued from HERE

If I was going to be shot I would much rather be hit with a "military grade" .556 rifle than a shotgun...
Exactly, .223 and .556 are actually much less efficient at killing things then hunting rifle cartridges that hundreds of millions of Americans own that are amost NEVER brought up in anti-gun talks.

I know I'm feeding the.. trolls (sorry, that's too strong of a word) argument here but most synthetic stocked rifles (at least by the people committing crimes) are bought just because they've heard about them, not because this person has any knowledge in how guns work.

Its an AR... its super deadly!

It's also semi-automatic and doesn't fire any faster than a nearly 100 year old military rifle.

The appearance of a weapon is pretty irrelevant to it's inherent deadlines, in fact the average M-16s used in the military look less 'tactical' than what most private citizens make their ARs look like.

Lets post up some general misconceptions and information to post in the main thread.

I've posted some basic things in there to start off, if anyone thinks I'm wrong or that I've made a mistake let me know and I'll happily change/edit it.

Unarmed civilians are a governments/criminals wet dream.

Exactly. If you were a criminal, would you rob a city where everyone carries a weapon, or would you rather be the only person that is armed? Of course, being the only person that is armed is so much easier, nobody will resist. Personally, I can't carry yet since I'm not old enough for a permit, but I do carry a knife. I just hope I never have to use it. Actually cutting someone's flesh isn't as easy as pulling a trigger, and then you have the whole legal issue and how easy it is to pin a crime on someone carrying a knife.

Here's the EDC.

KNIFE

:withstupid: :withstupid: I'm totally against the attempt to ban assault rifles too, because that just means criminals will still get them and those in their crosshairs cannot.

When someone here can explain why they need military level weaponary for "protection" I may be more understanding of the US and its guns.

I don't see issues with rifles and shot guns especially for hunters and farmers.

However other weaponary, fully automatic weapons, heavy weaponary and so on, how are those for "protection". Hell even just a standard side arm because you hear stories every bloody week out of the US about some shooting or other.

I remember one about a man shooting a salesman that was on his land because that was perfectly reasonable. However after the first shot took the man down a second shot was fired effectively just exicuting a man.

I would feel oh so safe knowing every bloody idiot could get their hands on guns because its their "right".

Because a country's citizens should not be able to have their government run a military dictatorship should they suddenly chose to, let alone have unequal footing with a modern/well armed criminal. (assault rifles would be childs play for a serious military operation to circumvent or "one-up" if they wanted to...it'd just be harder and more work, so they'd be less inclined to ever mess with them)

The salesman argument was simply about an individual NOT fit to own a firearm and not taking the responsibility of doing so seriously. That same a-hole could have just the same beat the man to a bloody pulp if he hadn't a firearm, who knows what kind of drugs/alcohol he may have been on too.

But you feel safer that every bloody idiot *criminal* *can* get their hands on guns because even a handgun would put them far above the defensive capabilities of their law abiding gunless population.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I'd like to see the statistic on how many crimes were stopped through personal defense with a firearm.

And let's not forget that if you shoot your gun in defense than you shoot to kill. Personally I couldn't do that; which is why I personally think a TASER is a better self defense weapon than any gun.

I can tell you pretty easy why I need automatic weapons. THE GOVERNMENT HAS THEM. /END

Actually this thread is getting off track. Lets get back to favorite hand guns and why.

Then why don't you have RPGs, mines, nerve gas, or nuclear weapons? That argument is so full of crap. If the military did actually want to kill than they could do it across the country.

Edited by CowKing