does dual monitor use additional gpu

MAX4U

as my signature says.. i still have a gts 570 going good... and am planning to purchase a Asus 27" LED and use it as secondary monitor. can i game on both(another one, 18") using same/different resolutions.. and will the configuration use more gpu or its like sending the same video out on two ports on the card without using further processing....

PS: nothing..!

as my signature says.. i still have a gts 570 going good... and am planning to purchase a Asus 27" LED and use it as secondary monitor. can i game on both(another one, 18") using same/different resolutions.. and will the configuration use more gpu or its like sending the same video out on two ports on the card without using further processing....

PS: nothing..!

if you extend the desktop it will use slightly more processing power, but nothing too noticeable for a GTX 570

I see what your saying.

1.No, you can't game on both at the same time, playing 2 different games

2.You can expand the game to both monitors. Kinda like eyefintiti

3. They must the same res(and preferably the same size as well) to do #2

4. When using another monitor it will always use more GPU power. (Mirroring or extending the display)

If you want to game like an eyefiniti setup then you need to of the same size and res monitors.

If you want 2 for productivity then what your doing now will work.

I see what your saying.

1.No, you can't game on both at the same time, playing 2 different games

2.You can expand the game to both monitors. Kinda like eyefintiti

3. They must the same res(and preferably the same size as well) to do #2

4. When using another monitor it will always use more GPU power. (Mirroring or extending the display)

If you want to game like an eyefiniti setup then you need to of the same size and res monitors.

If you want 2 for productivity then what your doing now will work.

#000000, i totally understand point 1, its obvious.

>3. yes i shall be running on same resolutions.

>4. this concerns me now.. how much more power does it use.. cause lets assume in a game maxed out, i get 70 fps on a single monitor setup, then on a dual monitor, mirroring the display will the frame rate drop down

or only if i extend the display it will drop..

#000000, i totally understand point 1, its obvious.

>3. yes i shall be running on same resolutions.

>4. this concerns me now.. how much more power does it use.. cause lets assume in a game maxed out, i get 70 fps on a single monitor setup, then on a dual monitor, mirroring the display will the frame rate drop down

or only if i extend the display it will drop..

So what you want to do is basically run games like eyefintit? (1 game, 2 monitors) Yes it will use considerably more GPU power to run because if the resolution is doubled. For example lets say your first monitor is at 50x50 (2500 pixels) res and you added another one. If you were to game on those both your res would be at 100x50.(5000 pixels) Which would require more power.

Not that much. Might be so little you cant notice. If you are stretched for performance you can turn off the second screen while in game. Use the nvidia control panel and set it to prefer single display performance and set the power managment for it to prefer Max performance. That should help. It will keep the gpu on 3d clock speed so you will idle higher but it will pay off.

One other thing you can do if you are using windows vista or 7 you can turn off windows Aero and use windows basic. It helped me a little.

2nd screen does NOT use more GPU power.

I tested this back in the day before I went dual screen, and I could net tell the difference in any benchmark or game.

What may affect performance is leaving stuff open. I have noticed that sometimes games run worse than normal as I have left . loads of things open on the second screen. But the actual act of the card displaying a second signal makes no difference

not sure about a second screen, but when having 4 screens hanging off my 6970 game performance did go down a little (nothing huge, only noticeable via fraps) this wasnt in eyefinity btw, just 4 extended desktops

If the OP is extending the desktop then no, there will not a be a big performance hit, but if he runs a game across both screens by extending the resolution, then yes.

Edited by Black64

Having another monitor will use a tad of you gpu but nothing crazy. However you have to find a good driver, I update my drivers every month and some months i would have microstutter in my game but when I rolled back the stutter went away, so it's more driver issue than gpu strength.

he is not extending the game, he wants the exaxt same picture on both screens if i read it correctly, that will only need copying of the frame buffer which does not affect performance much (if at all)