OCC Reviews the Intel Third Generation Core i7 3770K

ClayMeow

Thanks but thats as high as it wanted to go on the Intel board. I'll be testing a few Z77 boards here shortly so I'll see if thats it.

Very interested to see if you get any better results on the different boards, keep us posted for sure :biggrin: Great review though Frank!

Eek. 80-90 is insane. Those may be normal for GPUs, but not CPUs. Hope they improve on that!

About exactly what I was thinking. Looks like I will be sticking with my golden 2600K for awhile!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About exactly what I was thinking. Looks like I will be sticking with my golden 2600K for awhile!

^ I don't see a CPU bringing anything better than Sandy Bridge for a couple of years. Yes, maybe more cores/threads, but not for overclocking with lower heat. Only thing I think I'd upgrade to for shoots and ladders would be an 8 core / 16 thread CPU that can overclock to 5.5GHz at 1.25V's with max temps getting to 55C on water. :P

^ I don't see a CPU bringing anything better than Sandy Bridge for a couple of years. Yes, maybe more cores/threads, but not for overclocking with lower heat. Only thing I think I'd upgrade to for shoots and ladders would be an 8 core / 16 thread CPU that can overclock to 5.5GHz at 1.25V's with max temps getting to 55C on water. :P

Yep, Intel just really hit a Grand Slam with SB! Well Capi, you just let me know when you find that CPU. Hope you don't mind if I don't hold my breath....I'm not a big fan of passing out :lol:

I'm with you on the OCing MJ. Being the OC addict I am, I would have considered a sideways upgrade to Ivy if it had OCed better than Sandy. Now, I just get to save my $$$ ;)

^ I don't see a CPU bringing anything better than Sandy Bridge for a couple of years. Yes, maybe more cores/threads, but not for overclocking with lower heat. Only thing I think I'd upgrade to for shoots and ladders would be an 8 core / 16 thread CPU that can overclock to 5.5GHz at 1.25V's with max temps getting to 55C on AIR. :P

Fixed :cheers:

All the reiews I've seen, people are talking about reduced OC'ing capability of IB. Is it true or just a myth or problem with chip fabrication or production? :dunno:

All the reiews I've seen, people are talking about reduced OC'ing capability of IB. Is it true or just a myth or problem with chip fabrication or production? :dunno:

As the process matures and chips have less current leakage when the voltages are boosted you should see better results to a point for the non extreme user. As it sits now they are running at close to or just over 7GHz on LN2 so what defines success? Its the same architecture just a smaller process node.

For a normal gamer/user, a stable system around 4.8GHz would suffice.

For 4.8GHz on IB you'd need water to run it 24/7

^ Ok. Not even D14 can push it beyond 4.5?

Newegg's Ivy overclocking video with ASUS show their 3770k @ 4.8Ghz pushing 92C with a dual fan push/pull closed loop water cooler (doesn't say which one though, and I can't identify it by sight)

Not anything I'd want to run for any length of time :nyea:

I'm pretty sure the D14 is better than most closed loop water coolers, but I highly doubt it could bring that down 15-20C, which would be the point I'd feel safer running 24/7.