NF4 Ultra-D> help choosing 6800Gt card (eVGA, Leadtek?)

Guest edge130_merged

I'm happy with my evga GeForce 6800 GT, but ...

A) The drivers on their web site are outdated. Nvidia has released newer drivers which are WHQL certified, but evga hasn't updated their set of posted drivers yet.

B) There was some posting on this forum with several folks stating that moving to SSL damaged both cards.

The latest official NVIDIA drivers, 77.72, contain a whitewash bug when playing DVD video ... and that bug is evident on my card. The latest BETA drivers, 77.77, supposedly fix the bug ... but not on my evga card. Maybe I did something wrong, or maybe something else is up with the evga card. Reverting to the drivers on the evga site solve the whitewash bug. (Maybe that's why evga never posted the new NVIDIA drivers. evga perhaps knew the drivers were bad. I don't know.)

I'll also have a backup plan for a card in case I try the move to SSL.

In most cases, evga is highly respected, and maybe I'm more sensitive to being aware of the problems since I own the evga card.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gandalf

eVGA e-GeForce 7800 GTX KO PCI Express 256MB DDR3 Video Card w/HDTV-Out & VIVO Retail-

569$ ZipZoomFly

That is definitely below 790.

$569 US is different from $790 Canadian -you do the math.

I forgot to mention that the step-up program is only good for the first 3 months that you own your card.

As for the lifetime warranty, this comes straight from the evga site:

The new warranty program applies to all retail EVGA graphics cards and affords the original purchaser lifetime coverage for as long as they own their card. The new program will retroactively begin June 22nd, 2005, extending lifetime coverage to the newly released retail GeForce 7800-based graphics cards.

Definitely no complaints about my evga 6800gt ( I traded mine in to take advantage of the step-up program-only for that reason)

They are both good cards with maybe evga a little ahead in the perks for now.

I had encountered same problem as RED_STATE_RAY when watching dvd's it was actually a color setting that had to be set to all (cant remember what the exact setting was called, will let you know when I get home tonight).

In my intel system, I have an eVGA 6800GT hooked up to a Danger Den NV-68. It overclocks like a motha. I do have to admit however, that my BFG 6800GT overclocks a little better and I have a lifetime warranty. The POWER is YOURS! (see if anyone catches this old school quote...)

Go with the LeadTek. They wouldn't sacrifice cooling over space. THose guys that made that remark probably had cheap ventilated cases. Good cases with good ventilation matters for those geforce cards. And the right room temputure.

I had an EVGA Ultra . but its heat sink didn't cool well at all for overclocking. So if you go with EVGA at least make sure its meant for overclocking with an awsome copper heatsink. They are mandatory for the nv40 chips they run hot as hell. It turns my VooDoo case into an heater because of the awsome thermal ventilation I get .

if I plan on getting an evga card and OCing it close to ultra speed if not that, would I be needing to replace my stock fan? I plan on running a Logisys 3dcooler around my gpu as well to give it that extra cooling. would I be better off with a leadtek for that reason or still evga?

everyone that has leadtek are gonna say leadtek and why they chose it, and same for evga. The choice is yours really. Not much different. eVGA has the upgrade option, if you choose to upgrade within 90 days, you get the full cost you paid towards a better one. I'm thinking of doing this now. I have 10 days left to decide if I really want to take the plunge and get a 7800. There's one at monarch right now for 399, but not sure if this is a misprint.

I maybe a little biased here but an evga card is definitely a good one to get. I believe they started to offer a lifetime warranty on their new cards.

Also they have a step-up program where you can trade in your video card for a newer model-not bad(can only be done once). I am currently going through this step-up program. To give you an idea, I bought a evga 6800gt for $540. and through the step-up I paid $102 to upgrade to an evga 7800gtx ko w/ BF2. That's including shipping also (funds in canadian dollars). So $642. for a 7800gtx ko is damm good especially since I cant find one for under $790.

Wow, I might have to try that.

Red_State_Ray,

You just need to go into the nvidia control panel, select color adjustment, choose overlay, and change the lower box that says standard to advanced and you should be good. The graph should then be a straight diaganol line instead of the curved one that you started with. I read the fix somewhere on the NvNews forums.