Am I just lucky or smart?

Am I just lucky, or just smarter than the average bear?

I see all these posts of people having problems with DFI mobos, it's amazing.. On other forums I see people actually telling people NOT to buy DFI because of all the problems that people have with them..

I mean it's a great board, but it seems that DFI is getting a bad rap from some people because of all these problems that newbies are having...

I really have not had any major problems except ones that I made myself (not paying attention/not following instructions), and my Ram problem, but that, I had a feeling wasn't going to work anyway.....

I visit here everyday, numerous times a day, and it jsut seems that so many people are having problems....

Are they all just noobs? And they bought an advanced board thinking that it was all going to be easy?

Did they not do any research into these boards?

From what I have learned the board is not for the inexperienced, so why buy it, unless you know what to do with it?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am experiencing problems myself however I would not consider myself a newb. Ive put nearly 2 years of research into my system before purchasing the parts, I think its ignorant to call people who are having problems with a board with minimal instructions and thousands of quirks a "newb". No offense intended, but this is a help thread, what do you expect the posts to be about?

Guest Spartacus

It's not so nice to be thumbing your nose at people having problems. :mad:

If your computer blows up next week, does that mean you weren't so smart after all?

Were you born with your knowledge of computers or did people who knew more than you did help you (reading info online is still knowledge from others)?

These NF4 boards are a bit more difficult to configure properly than the old socket A boards. Computers are too complex for any one person to claim they know everything about them. Those that make that claim are braggers and liars.

You'll get respect for your knowledge of the subject by helping others that need help.

You are just lucky. I built my first PC in 1989 and it still took me more than one month to figure everything out. I am still learning. BTW, if I just wanted stock frequency, I would have got everything going in less than 3 hours.

i think spartacus made a great point wih some meaningful words. I myself found help for many things in this forum and still am.It helped a great deal to bring out the best performance of my pc.And not only help with the board for other things like case problems, too.I guess i am a noob but even the most knowledgeable people about computers still need help with the board occasionally of not usually.And oliveryochestmade it pretty clear, this forum is a SUPPORT FORUM

I am uber happy with my board. Yes it took a bit to get going due to a compatibility issue with my CD ROM which was hard to track down. But besides that, this has been the best MB I have ever purchased

I will ONLY buy another DFI board :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lucky bear maybe! Hehehee.

I see all these posts of people having problems with DFI mobos, it's amazing.. On other forums I see people actually telling people NOT to buy DFI because of all the problems that people have with them..

I just told a prospective user not to buy a DFI NF4, because he had too many odd circumstances that needed to be met and I could see he would never have any relief. I would rather his extenuating conditions lay blame a the feet of some other brand.

I mean it's a great board, but it seems that DFI is getting a bad rap from some people because of all these problems that newbies are having...

Not sure in toto if the word is really newbie although from the air of many and their appearance of total cluelessness it would likely have been better to bitten off an easier to configure motherboard for a 'first try'. And especially so when I see them unable to even make a signature as asked for when it in truth is their best hedge for getting decent help.

I really have not had any major problems except ones that I made myself (not paying attention/not following instructions), and my Ram problem, but that, I had a feeling wasn't going to work anyway.....

Ah the ram problem! Self inflicted you say? Hehehehe. I hear that man. I have owned nothing but a board that was considered to be one of the boss overclockers of the time period of the board and that be it Epox, Iwill, Abit or what have you. Nothing but hot rod enthusiast boards. The first one of them taught me my lesson. Nothing but the memory that I saw in the signatures of the front runners of that brand of board would do for me. I did not intend to forge new trails. Go with what the big boys run and I never not ever bought a board on the basis of a review. Too loaded and one-sided usually. Memory you say? Heheheehe. Yessiree I hear that.

I visit here everyday, numerous times a day, and it jsut seems that so many people are having problems....

Yep we got problems. We got most every answer already written down at least 4 time for every problem already in the forum, but we have those that do not have a clue how to search. Search has taught me over 90% of the little I know about computers. I have no friend in my town that I know of that even builds his own computer. Nada, zip and zero. The intenet was my schooling alone and I did not start that until I was 51 years old. So search has been my friend over the last 6 years.

Are they all just noobs? And they bought an advanced board thinking that it was all going to be easy?

That question is a little harder to have any answer for or about. Often I think users read or hear only what their own preconcieved notions about a particular board is seeming to show. If their interest is in one game then they read the benches in a review about that and miss any other points and for sure have no clue to reading between the lines.

Well before the first DFI NF4 hit the retail vendors I had ordered 3 Fortron Blue Storms for AG and myself and the tech area in CA. How could I do that. I read every post of every other brand and no reviews. Only the sites where the users gathered with problems and the writing was on the wall before DFI ever released the NF4 boards of theirs and we already had quality power supplies on hand from the failures at other motherboard forums. AG and I get the board site unseen as well and have to learn the setup to have anything at all to begin to offer as user help in here. No one comes and tells us how to setup our boards and do not ever think the factory is an assist. Go get a life. It sirs is sink or swim by and large.

From what I have learned the board is not for the inexperienced, so why buy it, unless you know what to do with it?

You are probably correct in that statement unless the user is like say THunDA when I first saw him appear. Man that was one hungry person wanting to master overclocking and willing to spend the time and energy and funds to get the job done. 264x11 with 4x512 of Ocz TCC5 last I saw. Awesome but he has only been into it for about a year, but gawdalmighty he was hungry and quick as h*ll as a learner and now I see him helping those that he can. There is a difference in everyone's situation and some come and get help and in return give help as it is their wont to do to so. How exactly are you bent?

RGone...

People who buys this board but can't get it to work properly right away aren't noob in the PC realm

They might be noob in the O/C realm however, like myself

I decided to buy this board because I am simply bored and want to have some fun tweaking

And DFI boards are exactly made for tweakers like us

You guys have no idea how hard it is to get this "Made in Taiwan" board in Taipei's Gwan-Hua computer market! Ironic isn't it? It tooke me 2 visits to the market place and god knows how many shop I asked... it is not until I asked this guy in shop A who knows there might be some in shop B that he led me all the way through the crowds to, and it is the only one in stock! You should have seen the excitement shined inside out from the shop owner's eyes when I told him I wanted to buy that board! (not mentioning my own thrill to be able to find my baby) He recognised my O/C intention right away!

Well, I myself do have some troubles with the board also, but I think try to calm down and use your logic is the main thing. Try to do things step by step and check stabilities between steps will allow you to identify the problem easier. I suggest that you should do one updates per day. For example, if you update bios, update chipset driver and update the graphic driver at the same time, if the system f**ked up, how would you know who to blame? So it is adviced to update one thing at a time, and run the system for a day at least, before moving onto the next update. Or at least run some tests in between.

I haven't start my O/C adventure yet, since I want to take 2 weeks to make sure that the system is stable with stock settings. And I don't think I will tweak my system that much yet, because it is sufficient to run the applications I want to run on it now. I will only tweak it like crazy when I think it is too slow to handle the newer applications. For now I will just read through the forum to pick up more knowledges about O/C.

Keypoint:

If you don't want to O/C, get other boards which requires/allows less tweaking

Don't O/C if your system can handle everything you intend to run at satisfactory level of performance

Read a lot and try to use google when you can't find answers here

I don't think he was trying to be anal about things, the OP that is. I do agree with him somewhat. There are alot of people that can read 2 bigazillion reviews on one particular board, through 10,000 sentences and 6,000 paragraphs and all they hear or see is ..."this board is awesome"...or..."you'll get HTT6000x11 on this board".....and they just don't really pay attention to the "but's" or "maybe's". In other words they hear what they want to hear. The DFI board IS the best board period, BUT you need patience and understanding BEFORE you go buy one, and all the components to match, which we(most of us) all know that that is what really matters.

Question to ponder:

What would you have done if you would have seen this forum before you bought the board??

-Freez

How old are you RGone? I am really curious... could you be the oldest O/Clocker ever alive?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...The intenet was my schooling alone and I did not start that until I was 51 years old. So search has been my friend over the last 6 years.

RGone...

I think this is a great board and a great forum. I am also a newby and not smart at all. My very first install on this rig went smooth without a hiccup. Already clocked it to 11 X 269.43 = 2963.77 MHz but not stable though.

Like RGone I am also living in a town with no one else interested in this stuff. I also did a lot of search and research on the internet. And I started with this when I am close to 50 yrs old LoL.

I would like to thank each and everyone that post their problems with this board on this forum. I would also like to thank each and everyone that gave solutions to the problems. That helped me a lot to build a decent rig. One that I like.

If it wasn't for people with problems that ask questions on this forum, I would have battle a lot with getting the correct hardware, using the correct bios and voltage problems etc etc etc. They supplied me with all the information I need and more.

I apologies for my english.