NF3 Ultra-D 939/AGP

So back to my original question,

I wanted to ask what everyone else was getting in Sandra with a memory bench......everyone pretty much getting 72% efficiency or what? At 2-2-2-5-2T it's only getting 4650mb/sec which seems awfully low to me.....I think I saw one guy posting already who said he got 5200mb/sec with 1T timing, but his efficiency was also like 73% or so.

speaking of command rate, windows isn't liking 1T no matter what adjustments I make to the RAM, but as I've read this has been a common problem through most people here.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the test at stock....BIOS defaulted the RAM to 2T like most everyone elses here....running 2GHz 3200+ venice with 2-2-2-5-2T RAM and it did 4650mb/sec at 72% efficiency =/

I even did what you suggested to Old guy on the previous page and put the drive strength to weak and tried putting it to 1T but windows BSOD right when it got to the blue 'welcome' screen.

This was with 2.5-3-3-7-1T timings and 2.7 and 2.8v on different attempts, then for the hell of it I tied 3-3-3-8 but still nothing....mind you I was trying this at 230MHz though not stock for the 1T trial and I haven't switched around the RAM slots...I've only got them in the oranges thus far.

I grew tired of Sandra's emphasis 18 months ago and had not bothered to try it again until today. Download San2005Lite and it returns error running the memory bench and then gets itself all balled up and have to use task manager to stop the application. Any ideas? Like I said it has been a while since I ran it and there maybe a trick for A64 and or this board.

RGone...

I'm with RGone on this one. Sandra was just too much trouble as a yardstick.

For the quick and dirty I use Everest.

For my meaningful benchmarks I concentrate on 3DMark2001 and PCMark04.

I feel there's no reason to test a subsystem when the whole rig counts.

Yeah I was just about to ask about everest....

At 2.45GHz (245x10) 2.5-3-3-7-2T timings, Sandra reports 5600mb/sec whereas Everest is reporting 6500mb/sec..........should I trust Everest in this case.....I really want to since it's higher :P

But the stock on sandra was reporting around 4600mb/sec which seemed awfully freakin low to me.....

ExRoadie - I'm guessing in this situation and after your comment you'd sooner trust everest?

At 2.45GHz (245x10) 2.5-3-3-7-2T timings, Sandra reports 5600mb/sec whereas Everest is reporting 6500mb/sec..........should I trust Everest in this case.....I really want to since it's higher :P

But the stock on sandra was reporting around 4600mb/sec which seemed awfully freakin low to me.....

ExRoadie - I'm guessing in this situation and after your comment you'd sooner trust everest?

I would say more as a matter of strictly looking for positve results than trusting any level of accuracy...

Rgone...The only time I've ever had the Sandra bandwith test bugger up over the last 3 months was yesterday or the day before when I was just plain unstable. Got myself a quick re-boot for my efforts and promptly toned things down a bit :P

EDIT: So I guess I'm absolutely of no help as to wether there was a "trick"...

I use Everest because it's quick and easy. I only use it as a comparison tool on an individual rig.

Mostly as a tool to see if tweaks are making a difference. I have found a high level of consistency across rigs but I still have reservations about posting results as an e-penis measure. lol

Maybe for testing your mem, you can use the 'A64 Tweaker 0.60Beta' for showing your (SPD) timings on the fly, from most all of the DFI BIOS DRAM timings and configuration parameters.

You can even change al this timings on the fly as well, but some changes crash or freeze your system, don't worry, this happen to me all the time when I search for memory borders.

When you have not much experience how to handle this crashes or system freezing? use it for showing only! and go to 'johnrr6' famous DFI NF4 BIOS Memory Guide for the excellent explanation and links for al what you have see and like to know.

I mainly wanted to see how it stacked up against similar rigs, because when I saw 4650mb/sec in sandra I was a bit disappointed considering I coulda swore most stock rigs were getting 5800mb/sec if not around 6400mb/sec so I didn't understand why mine was so low.....it is good though for seeing how much per clock increase you get.......I've basically seemed to notice about 100mb/sec gain per 50MHz clock speed and 5MHz CPU HTT increase

EDIT:

and go to 'Angry Games' famous Memory Guide for the excellent explanation for al what you have see and like to know now.
Yeah I've had that bookmarked for quite some time now :) but this is my first AMD64 system so it's only now that I can even use those timings (my XP-M was using the nf7 board so no DFI options there either)

I've got AMD64 tweaker but haven't messed with it as of yet

Alright, I got this earlier today and ran a bunch of tests.

Somethings I have observed:

1. The BIOS can't add Trp right. You set it to 2, it's 3. You set it to 4, it's 5. Wondering if it's just me or is this happening to everyone.

2. 1T does boot, but you can't leave the rest auto. I forget which setting it was, but the one right after the main 4 dram timings, you gotta set that to 2 clocks for it to work. 1 or Auto = no POST for me.

So I can boot up to memtest, but I miserably fail test #6 since I need 2 for Trp for my RAM, as it hates 3 or higher, and refuses to budge when it's higher than 2. So I think a bios update is definitely something that needs to be done.

well got me nf3 ultra-d today, along with my 4000 sd (cabhe 0518 wpmw)...

but after a 15hr day at work im not feeling like setting it up, especially since i gotta be back at work in 8hrs...

as soon as i get it running... i'll load up bf2 :nod: