NF3 Ultra-D 939/AGP

Well my board booted no problems with a 3200+ venice in it right off the bat.......I have yet to OC it so thus far it's been fine and working exactly like it should.

Don't know about the chipset in terms of swapping it out...my northpole chipset cooler wouldn't fit but it's unusually tall :P

I can't hear the chipset fan at all though, the one on my northpole is freakin 8000RPM and even then I can't hear it over the 2 130CFM 120MM fans I got running on top for my heatercore :D

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible to exchange it with a zalman NB47-J, or is this not recommed (to much heat on NF3 boards for a passive cooler?).

Seems for me, that the chipset cooler is far away enough from the agp slot to use a zalman NB47-J and a X800XT with a NV Silencer5 (unlike the MSI Neo2, on which this combination seems impossible).

Post 542, 548 and 552 here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...5&page=37&pp=15

Post 609 here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...8972#post138972

Post 626 here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...5&page=42&pp=15

And there's some more I cannot find . . .

Don't know about the Silencer . . .

PS: just read the whole thread and you'll find most answers :angel:

PS2: nV Silencer and X800XT ?

I am loving this board. Very nice options and stability. It puts out very nice voltages for the cpu, exactly what I wanted from it. The northbridge cooler is total garbage, and that little northbridge gets HOT, so I am thinking about sawing down a socket A or 370 cooler to fit, and then screwing the 7k rpm fan from this one onto it. It is the only component warm to the touch, and it is HOT. I have easily managed 345 HTT 1T on a 8x multiplier and it was perfectly stable.

For my OCz Peformance series PC3200EL, they would go to 236 in the orange slots, and I would have been happy with that if I didn't used to run them at 265 in last board, and so when i put them in orange slots, the performance came back, prime /pi stable @ 265 2.5-3-3-7 1T.

I think the AGP slot is cheap, and the nb has bad passive cooling, but I still like this board quite a bit.

I am loving this board. Very nice options and stability. It puts out very nice voltages for the cpu, exactly what I wanted from it. The northbridge cooler is total garbage, and that little northbridge gets HOT, so I am thinking about sawing down a socket A or 370 cooler to fit, and then screwing the 7k rpm fan from this one onto it. It is the only component warm to the touch, and it is HOT. I have easily managed 345 HTT 1T on a 8x multiplier and it was perfectly stable.

For my OCz Peformance series PC3200EL, they would go to 236 in the orange slots, and I would have been happy with that if I didn't used to run them at 265 in last board, and so when i put them in orange slots, the performance came back, prime /pi stable @ 265 2.5-3-3-7 1T.

I think the AGP slot is cheap, and the nb has bad passive cooling, but I still like this board quite a bit.

Are we even talking about the same board!?

The chipset has a fan on it....therefore it's active cooling, not passive.

Post 542, 548 and 552 here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...5&page=37&pp=15

Post 609 here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...8972#post138972

Post 626 here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...5&page=42&pp=15

And there's some more I cannot find . . .

Don't know about the Silencer . . .

PS: just read the whole thread and you'll find most answers :angel:

PS2: nV Silencer and X800XT ?

Thanks ^^

And of course i meant ATI Silencer 4 :D

Unfortunatly i think the silencer is too big, it just won´t fit with the zalman :(

Maybe i can cut of some parts of the zalman :shake:

Or i just get a quality silent fan for the nb.

Hmmm nothing ground breaking at all but the OC bug finally got me...I'm going to continue going a little further tonight but thus far I got

220x10 = 2GHz

2.5-3-3-7-2T @ 2.7v (running 1:1 of course BTW, see sig for RAM, it's TCCD with BrainpowerPCB so it's good to go...manufacturer guarantees it up to 466 with 1T command rate so I figure 2.5-3-3-7 will give me headroom to get up to around 250MHz before I'd need to start either adding more voltage or tweaking it)

At 2.15GHz Sandra memory benches reported 4973/5006 which seemed kind of low to me, bandwidth efficieny of 72% =/

This is coming from 4650 at stock speeds though so it seems to be about 100mb/sec gain per 50MHz on the CPU, or otherwise 5MHz FSB increase.

SuperPI has gone from 43.7s stock 2GHz to 40.5 at 2.15.....I'm running 2.2GHz but I was running prime95 for a little bit to ensure it was at least a little bit stable at it's current voltage before I knock it up another 5MHz so I haven't run superPI at these speeds yet.

I left the CPU VID at VID Pass mode and have just got the voltage adjustment at .1+

We'll see how it goes, but I think I may stop at around 2.3GHz, consider myself lucky that I didn't have to reset the CMOS and prime it so I atleast know a base for which the system can run.

Like I said I know it's not a ground breaking overclock, I don't claim it to be, but I'm starting off slow since I know this board isn't exactly user friendly right now :P

If its something a new BIOS cannot fix, you can be sure people would be demanding a new revision, free.

I Agree, we can do a global RMA To DFI. Italy are whit you.

Bye.

Some intresting info, from a german forum, the part about the RAM is also understandable in English/American I suppose.

So, an dieser Stelle erstmal Hallo an Alle. Ich hatte die letzten 2 Tage (sprich: Nächte) das Vergnügen, das nF3 Ultra-D von DFI zu testen. Soweit es mir möglich war, habe ich verschiedene Speicher-Kits (allesamt Dualchannel Kits mit 1GB Kapazität) auf verschiedenen CPUs (300+ Winni und Venice, 3200+ Winnie und Venice, 3500+ Venice). Die San Diegos konnte ich bisher nicht testen, da mir Cheffe keinen mitgegeben hat

Ich fasse die Ergebniss an dieser Stelle stichpunktartig zusammen, da mir für jede Kombination aus Speicher und CPU nicht allzuviel zeit blieb. Sämtliche Ergebnisse ohne Gewähr:

- Dualchannel wird auf den Slots 1+3 (Orange) und 2+4 (Gelb) unterstützt.

- OCZ VX-Speicher haben mit 2 von 5 getesteten CPUs große Probleme gemacht. Da ich nicht genau herausgefunden habe, woran das liegt, und die Speichereinstellungen beim nF3 noch gewöhnungsbedürftig sind, würde ich von der Verwendung von OCZ VX-Speichern (Value und Normal) erstmal abraten.

- OCZ EL Platinum DDR600 läuft bislang sehr gut auf den Boards. Mein Maximun war bisher 328 MHz at 2.5-4-4-8 (2T).

- Ebenso alle TCCDs von G.Skill (LA, LE, FR, FF) entsprechend Ihren Spezifikationen (zum teil marginal darunter, das FF schafft 1T noch nicht, zumindest nicht memtest-stable).

- Stabil sind auch die Module von Crucial. Obwohl die Micron-Chips die traditionellen Vorteile des DFI (hohe Spannungen) nicht ausnutzen konnte auch hier ein stabiler Wert bei sehr guten Werten (2.0-2-2-5 @ 238 MHz)

- Standard-Speicher läuft auf Standard-Werten stabil (getestet: Infineon 2x512MB @ 200MHz, Aeneon: same, spectec: same)

- Probleme gabs, wie immer, mit KVR Ram, der große Probleme macht, aber das dürfte bekannt sein.

Fazit:

Das Board hat großes Potential, das momentan einzige BIOS hat noch so seine Macken. Nach Auskunft von louisa von DFI in San Jose arbeiten die DFI-Techniker mit Hochdruck an einem aktuellen BIOS mit entsprechenden Fixes was die Speicherproblematik angeht. Ich hoffe, daß wir bald ein BETA bekommen werden. leider kann ich an dieser Stelle nicht auf die Wünsche einzelner User eingehen, neue BIOS-Versionen per mail zuzusenden. Wir dürfen keine inoffiziellen BETAs in Umlauf bringen und werden das auch, zumindest offiziell, nicht tun

Von der GHeschwindigkeit her gesehen ist das nF3 Ultra-D das bislang schnellste S939/AGP-Board was ich je testen durfte. Sofern in der nächsten oder übernächsten Woche das neue BIOS kommt, sollten auch die bisherigen Speicherfehler behoben sein.

Nachtrag zu Cheffe's Meldung, der Lüfter sei genauso leise wie der vom nF4 Ultra-D: Kann ich so nicht bestätigen, ist etwas lauter. Empfehlung: Zalman Passivkühler drauf und ein geschickt positionierter Gehäuselüfter und ruh ist im Schacht.

Some intresting info, from a german forum, the part about the RAM is also understandable in English/American I suppose.

CUT

An automatic translation to help (a little) international owners:

7275zy.th.jpg

So, an dieser Stelle erstmal Hallo an Alle. Ich hatte die letzten 2 Tage (sprich: Nächte) das Vergnügen, das nF3 Ultra-D von DFI zu testen. Soweit es mir möglich war, habe ich verschiedene Speicher-Kits (allesamt Dualchannel Kits mit 1GB Kapazität) auf verschiedenen CPUs (300+ Winni und Venice, 3200+ Winnie und Venice, 3500+ Venice). Die San Diegos konnte ich bisher nicht testen, da mir Cheffe keinen mitgegeben hat

Ich fasse die Ergebniss an dieser Stelle stichpunktartig zusammen, da mir für jede Kombination aus Speicher und CPU nicht allzuviel zeit blieb. Sämtliche Ergebnisse ohne Gewähr:

- Dualchannel wird auf den Slots 1+3 (Orange) und 2+4 (Gelb) unterstützt.

- OCZ VX-Speicher haben mit 2 von 5 getesteten CPUs große Probleme gemacht. Da ich nicht genau herausgefunden habe, woran das liegt, und die Speichereinstellungen beim nF3 noch gewöhnungsbedürftig sind, würde ich von der Verwendung von OCZ VX-Speichern (Value und Normal) erstmal abraten.

- OCZ EL Platinum DDR600 läuft bislang sehr gut auf den Boards. Mein Maximun war bisher 328 MHz at 2.5-4-4-8 (2T).

- Ebenso alle TCCDs von G.Skill (LA, LE, FR, FF) entsprechend Ihren Spezifikationen (zum teil marginal darunter, das FF schafft 1T noch nicht, zumindest nicht memtest-stable).

- Stabil sind auch die Module von Crucial. Obwohl die Micron-Chips die traditionellen Vorteile des DFI (hohe Spannungen) nicht ausnutzen konnte auch hier ein stabiler Wert bei sehr guten Werten (2.0-2-2-5 @ 238 MHz)

- Standard-Speicher läuft auf Standard-Werten stabil (getestet: Infineon 2x512MB @ 200MHz, Aeneon: same, spectec: same)

- Probleme gabs, wie immer, mit KVR Ram, der große Probleme macht, aber das dürfte bekannt sein.

Fazit:

Das Board hat großes Potential, das momentan einzige BIOS hat noch so seine Macken. Nach Auskunft von louisa von DFI in San Jose arbeiten die DFI-Techniker mit Hochdruck an einem aktuellen BIOS mit entsprechenden Fixes was die Speicherproblematik angeht. Ich hoffe, daß wir bald ein BETA bekommen werden. leider kann ich an dieser Stelle nicht auf die Wünsche einzelner User eingehen, neue BIOS-Versionen per mail zuzusenden. Wir dürfen keine inoffiziellen BETAs in Umlauf bringen und werden das auch, zumindest offiziell, nicht tun

Von der GHeschwindigkeit her gesehen ist das nF3 Ultra-D das bislang schnellste S939/AGP-Board was ich je testen durfte. Sofern in der nächsten oder übernächsten Woche das neue BIOS kommt, sollten auch die bisherigen Speicherfehler behoben sein.

Nachtrag zu Cheffe's Meldung, der Lüfter sei genauso leise wie der vom nF4 Ultra-D: Kann ich so nicht bestätigen, ist etwas lauter. Empfehlung: Zalman Passivkühler drauf und ein geschickt positionierter Gehäuselüfter und ruh ist im Schacht.

OCZ EL Platinum DDR600 läuft bislang sehr gut auf den Boards. Mein Maximun war bisher 328 MHz at 2.5-4-4-8 (2T). --->>> OCZ EL Platinum DDR600 runs so far very well on the boards. My Maximun was so far 328 MHz RK 2,5-4-4-8 (2T)

Very well very well VERY WELL ????????????? @ 2.5-4-4-8 @2T :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Whit my OCZ Plat rev 2 Pc 3200 and DFI nf3 250Gb i can Hit 310mhz @2.5-3-3-7 @1T.

Is this a joke or ....???????????????????????????