The DFI Book Club

cronocrash

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Shibby

Haven't found the time lately to do as much reading as I like, too many commitments, not enough time....

Favorite book of all time is definitely Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. Just an amazingly well-written novel that really hit home in a number of ways (aside from the overt theme of racism).

I read a lot of books on politics and social issues, just read Lenin's Tomb by David Remnick, it was great. I've read quite a bit of Noam Chomsky, don't necessarily agree with everything he says, but he is pretty good at challenging what I know/think.

I am by trade a scientist, so I read quite a few science books. Dancing Naked Through the Mind Field by Kary Mullis was incredibly engaging. For a guy that changed biological science as we know it (invented PCR...polymerase chain reaction), he was/is pretty messed up. The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins is an oldy, but a great read. Extremely thought provoking and a great read for anyone as it isn't filled with science jargon. He postulates that our bodies are nothing more than a vessel to provide our genes with necessary resources for them to replicate and evolve, pretty interesting idea (wouldn't even call it a theory, but extremely interesting nonetheless).

In terms of cultural/acheological study, Easter Island, Earth Island by Paul Bahn and John Flenley is amazing. Essentially, it chronicles the fall of the civilization on Easter Island (which existed essentially as a mini-world as it existed as it's own entity with no interaction with the rest of the world). From an archeological standpoint, it attempts to chronicle the fall of this civilization as the population of the island grows and resources become depleted. From a cultural standpoint, the book attempts to relate this to modern day society and events. Unfortunately, I believe the book is out of print, but Paul Bahn has written some other books using newer archeological evidence, but they aren't nearly as captivating as this book.

Guest culinist

Another great series is George R.R. Martins Song of Ice and Fire. It's not finished yet but hey are really great. Brutal to the extreme in my opinion.

Thomas Hardy - Tess of the d'Urbervilles

Thomas Hardy - Jude the Obscure

Portable Shakespeare (1977)

Aldous Huxley - Brave New World

Aldous Huxley - Crome Yellow

F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

Those are my favorites. Thomas Hardy is my favorite author of all time. He is a tremendous writer.

Guest Blooz1

I'm also another person who always has his nose in a book!

I've been disabled for a couple of years, so I have all the time I want to read. Most of the books I own I've read from 5 to 10 times, some more. If I hadn't have moved so much in my life, I'd probably need 3-4 rooms to store all the books I've had! Now, I just keep real favs...

I can't say I only have certain genres that I like - I read everything from Russian liturature to Jimmy Buffett! (I just finished "A Salty Piece of Land" - it's a GREAT escapist book!)

Shibby, wasn't there a movie made about Easter Island based on that book?

Guest Shibby

@Blooz1: I have no idea, but would be very interested if one was made, though I'm thinking it would likely be disappointing compared to the book.

haha i hate reading story books, i just dont have the patience for it. especially in school, thats the part that hits me hardest, is reading.

the only things i read contain resourceful knowledge and other know-how.

such as online tutorials, product manuals, and the DFI Street forum.

Tom

Wow how did I miss this thread.

I am amazed at the similar taste in books people have here.Must be a computer geek thing ;).

Regarding rereading books I always always reread.

Stephen King stuff being the most reread of mine.The Stand I can just lose myself in time and time again.Its just a shame that all his movie conversions are so crap apart from It.

If its not fiction stuff I do enjoy true stories.Usually about Crime/London Gangsters or autobiographies.

Yet to read Lance Armstrongs book at the moment as I am a big fan of his and admire his courage and dedication after all he has been through.

Just to refer back to The Dark Tower series,does anyone know the release date for the final book?I was told by a London bookshop that its going to be November just wondering if the USA will get it any sooner :)

J

yes. ive read every gibson book like 3 times at least. if its an informational book (ie. laroussse, escoffier, james beard etc.) ill read it once and then never stop.

yayy go crypto.

==

i read in phases. mostly during the winter. cos, you know its g.d. cold @ 40 below in the mountains. here in the valley its not that bad. i tend to do more outdoors stuff in the summer, ie. hike/bike to the middle of nowhere. but in july '04 i tore the insides of my right shoulder apart... so now all i do is read (3 more months of physical therapy and im healed!). been reading a lot of classics, and random anthropological/cultural articles on various climatic regions and such.

some additions:

Fiction/Fantasy:

Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere, and American Gods

Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials Trilogy (kind of like kids fantasy books, almost like the British version of Harry Potter, except, you know... better)

hARRY POTTER IS NOT A KIDS BOOK!!!!!!!!!! please read it now

Guest Blooz1

A scary fav of mine is called "The Sheep Look Up" by David Brunner.

It seems to be coming true every day!