The DFI Book Club

cronocrash

Wow, I'll tell you now that I read far more than any of you do :P

When people were getting detention in 5th grade for pulling hair, I was getting kicked out of class for reading "It". I would walk into the San Diego Public Library, and the librarians would all run away, screaming.

Wheel of Time, and Sword of Truth were excellent series', but when trying to explain the plots to friends, I will consistently mix up characters, factions, etc...

Orson Scott Cord's novels are my favorites, although his newest, "Magic Street" was not so great. Stick with SCI-FI! Ender's Game had the best plot twist I've seen in a millenium.

Ray Bradbury- Fahrenheit 451

Brian Jacques- If you are as much of a food lover as I am, his books will make your mouth water. <-- Redwall Series. He has also written a few others, "Castaways of the Flying Dutchman", and "Angel's Command" were nearly as good.

Anne McCaffrey- Dragonriders of Pern series was Splendtacular, I love series that take a character from a lonely stowaway to the mightiest person on the planet. (And everything in-between)

R.A. Salvatore has some really awesome series, but many times when he buddies up with a co-writer, the novels become choppy, and cumbersome.

For those that think Tom Clancy incorporates too much politics in his novels, Dan Brown, or Kyle Mills are excellent choices for military endeavors.

I read a series in Middle School, that I loved, it was Fantasy, and it incorporated prolly 20,000 "plays on words" throughout the series, but for the life of me I cant remember the author. Maybe someone can help me out here. These puns usually the entities in the novel, or instance a "drawbridge" was a bridge with a sketchpad. Grr, this is getting me mad.

I don't like many classics, I think when it takes 20 pages to describe a willow tree swaying in the wind, something is seriousely wrong with the author.

For Horror/Mystery, Stephen King, and Dean Koontz take the cake. The Dark Tower series is one of my favorites, although alot of the symbolism eludes me. Dean Koontz draws me in every time.

Ok, I'm done. I'm sure there are many more I forgot, so ill check back and see if any of you can jog my memory.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest culinist
I read a series in Middle School, that I loved, it was Fantasy, and it incorporated prolly 20,000 "plays on words" throughout the series, but for the life of me I cant remember the author. Maybe someone can help me out here. These puns usually the entities in the novel, or instance a "drawbridge" was a bridge with a sketchpad. Grr, this is getting me mad.

That would be Piers Anthony, Xanth Novels.

Another of my old faves i forgot, Dennis Wheatley. The Satanist, The Devil Rides Out, To The Devil A Daughter(film version was crap), The Ka Of Gifford Hillary, They Used Dark Forces, The Haunting Of Toby Jugg... Read them all.

• 7 months later...
Yep, I've pre-ordered it and I'm really excited about it. I just hope it's atleast as nearly as good as his other material on his site :D

oh im sure it will be, he's been hyping this up for so long now.. it was #1 on amazon, that was awesome :).. he must make like, millions.. :S

right now I'm on Voyage of the Dawn Treader, which is I think book 5 of the Chronicles of Narnia (I bought the whole set from Amazon)

I've just finished Cell by Stephen King

waiting for the next Chainfire trilogy book from Terry Goodkind (which would be...book 11 or something of the Sword of Truth series?)

I also read "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader", this one was about Hockey (apparently there's a zillion Uncle John's Bathroom Reader books...they have cool trivia like did you know John Wayne, the Duke!, was a in hockey movie??)