Socket 939 Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I read it, it looks like Prime, sp2004, or orthos are now all acceptable... I'm sure Happy will chime in soon enough, and clear up the confusion.

I'm trying for 334x9 on this 170 now, it works out better with the memory dividers this way. It was a no go at 3040, but when I get the whole MAL/RP/DS thing sorted for the x9 multi/140 memory, then I'll try it again...Just hope this current Prime run hold up.

Guest LithoTech
From the looks of it, only prime95.

Unless you are running LGA775 or AM2, then it would be sp2004.

That's how I read it. Cut and dry.

I've never been able to understand why so many people prefer to run sp2004 over p95, the only real difference being a visual of it's progress. If you think about it, and everything is going fine, the program is telling you nothing! It's only when there is a problem that it has to tell you something.

For me, the program goes straight into the tray once started, and shows as red. Couldn't be simpler or more effective. If it's yellow, then I have a problem. I could never understand why anyone would want anything different.

With dual core and this orthos version of sp2004, if I understand correctly, the program has the two instances of priming built into it. I can see this as an attractive advantange, and one that many folks would want to use. But again, for me it's not something that I must have because setting up p95 for two cores is too easy once you find the instructions here, and the tray icon is what I like.

I think we all agree on the insistance of consistancy. Our own results are useless as comparrisons otherwise, even for something as simple as prime.

It's simply too late to change over now for the 939 database etc, but the am2 and 775 OCDBs are empty so I guess that's why he's giving it a try. Works for me, doesn't matter either way what I use to measure, as long as everyone else is on the same page and the thing works.

Prime work's great for me not like i sit here and watch it run just glance to see if it's yellow every once in awhile. Best to keep them all the same but i understand on the new board's for the dual core am2 and intel's just easier to setup orthos.

That's how I read it. Cut and dry.

I've never been able to understand why so many people prefer to run sp2004 over p95, the only real difference being a visual of it's progress. If you think about it, and everything is going fine, the program is telling you nothing! It's only when there is a problem that it has to tell you something.

For me, the program goes straight into the tray once started, and shows as red. Couldn't be simpler or more effective. If it's yellow, then I have a problem. I could never understand why anyone would want anything different.

Thats exactly why i like using sp2004, because i can just run it and leave the room So if it does error out i can usually see or hear it from the next room and restart it.

With p95 i cant tell it errors unless i keep coming to the computer to check on it.

I woke up this morning to see my all night Prime run at 334x9 had failed on core0 after a couple of hours. I've now set drive strength all the way down to 2 (after trying 10 last night), and set MAL/RP to auto, and am now trying a run at 336x9... all seems stable after an hour of Prime.

Looks like I might have to work a few nights, and get the funds together for a set of 2x1Gb Redline's like Apotheosis:)

I woke up this morning to see my all night Prime run at 334x9 had failed on core0 after a couple of hours. I've now set drive strength all the way down to 2 (after trying 10 last night), and set MAL/RP to auto, and am now trying a run at 336x9... all seems stable after an hour of Prime.

Looks like I might have to work a few nights, and get the funds together for a set of 2x1Gb Redline's like Apotheosis:)

nice opty 170 you got there.. my old one couldn't get pass 2.8 on water.