Socket 939 Discussion Thread

The memory controller is taking care of 2 cores now. That added overhead is going to have some impact on it. The memory controller, not the actual processor, is the main reason dc processors don't normally clock as high as a single core.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The memory controller is taking care of 2 cores now. That added overhead is going to have some impact on it. The memory controller, not the actual processor, is the main reason dc processors don't normally clock as high as a single core.

Yeah thats what I was assuming...I just thrilled to have two 57s now instead of one...

looking good watsonte!

When it come to a bios update I'm a firm believer in if it's not broke don't fix it.

I've been guilty of failing to follow this cardinal rule :)

My Venus also shipped with 01/17 and I upgraded to 03/07 before I even tried 01/17 using Diamond Flash for the 1st time. Went to 03/29 to test the CPU test adjustment.

Never saw a need to go to Tony's 04/06 or the Official.

This new Ultra-D (AE1) shipped with 11/14 but if I have any probs I'll be using Tony's 704-2bta again. Always had fantastic luck with it.

Haven't had the nads to pop the lid yet. I'm at 38C in open air at 2600MHz with 1.4v

Just watched Happy's tutorial on IHS removal again, and then checked the usual websites for additional info on removal. I'm sure that like most mods it's so easy once you've done it you laugh because you were so concerned. Seems the AC Freezer 64 Pro is supposed to work on a nekid CPU but I'm still a little concerned I may screw up. Maybe the mounting springs have bent slightly. The Evercool VC-RE will be here Wednesday so I'll make the decision by then when I mount it in the new $9.95 case :D

I'm sure you've reattached the IHS on more than one chip. Is the Superglue you used harder to cut into than the standard stuff on a new CPU? Kinda concerned I may pull a component off the board cause of the Super glue. Use a double edge or a single edge?

Any advice other than "you break it, you own it". :)

It's not really harder to cut just different. I use a blade from a disposable razor. Wrap several layers of tape around it holding the tape approximately 2mm from the cutting edge. Starting at one edge with the top of the blade against the bottom of the IHS and using the edge as a pivot point, rock the blade back and forth until it cuts through the glue. Do the same at the other 3 corners. Then run the blade around the IHS to find the spot of glue in the center of the edges and cut the same way. You just have to be mindful of the pins. It's easy to forget about them and bend them while cutting. I know this from experience. lol

hehehe, I could kiss ya Praz. :)

easy as pie (but I was shaking quite a bit).

I kept the processor in the socket so I wouldn't bend the pins.

removed the retention bracket so I had some room to work.

About a 10 degree dif at idle and 20 on load.

mit lid

opty170wt9.th.jpg

mitout (nekid)

nekidmw6.th.jpg

Vcore is 1.3 x 110%. Core #1 and Core #2 seem to be tracking really well

MBM5 CPU read 37 at Load and Core temps were 41 and 42

And Yes, the AC Freezer 64 Pro definately works without any mods.

Gonna go put my dancing shoes on.

It looked like it had been making perfect contact.

Looking at the IHS when it was on it looked perfectly level.

Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

wonder if that black rubber stuff could have been exerting some upward pressure?

or maybe it took me 9 tries to get the cooler on right :)

I did use Ceramique instead of AS5 this time.

Guest viking

sry im askin here but im not sure where to post

is this enogh apart from the 3dmark03 and 3dmark06

and the bios settings

3ghz3hzvc7.th.jpg

and can i ad those benchmark after ?

or scould it all be in the same run

I just looked at your screenshot again. It weird how cores 1 and 2 read so close to each other and the thermal diode. I think thats the first Opty I've seen where both sensors and the diode all agree. Do they read like that under load too? Crank up the clocks and volts and let us see what it will do.

@Viking.

Pretty dang impressive.

BUT technically you need to have a separate shot od 3D05 and you need to use Everest 2.2 or higher.

Here is is a link to Everest 2.2 http://www.angrygames.com//files/everesthome220.exe

Why don't you run 3D05 again and include Everest 2.2 in that screenshot and post it.

(Everest 2.2 ot higher can go in any screen shot)

Still need 3D03 and #d06

Then, yes, fill in the blanks and you should be good to go.

Stop in at the 3G club when you are done :)

At Praz, comin' up boss.

sry im askin here but im not sure where to post

is this enogh apart from the 3dmark03 and 3dmark06

and the bios settings

3ghz3hzvc7.th.jpg

and can i ad those benchmark after ?

or scould it all be in the same run

Read section 4 of this post. It explains what is need to post an OCDB entry. You must run Prime95 not SP2004. And per the rules that you agreed to do a signature of your components. Otherwise the mods will delete your posts and give you a 7 day vacation.