Socket 939 Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(2x 1Gb Value Select Corsair)

thats half your problem

the other half is you are using 1GB modules, which wont overclock well.

try setting your CPC to disabled (2T) and I bet you can boot up to windows etc (but it will cost you in performance)

Doesn't the ram divider take care of that though? I'm not overclocking the RAM at all. 240 * 5/6 = 200MHz on the nose. Or are they still being stressed regardless of the divider? I wish I had ponied up for better RAM, but I had been under the impression that a RAM divider would take care of the problem, and that overclocking your RAM didn't do all that much anyway. It's looking like I was dead wrong, which is sucky.

-Nate

on 1GB modules it isn't so much the stress on the memory running in synch on the modules at an overclocked rate, it is that the memory controller on the cpu has a hell of a time accessing all those banks (the Venice/San Diego supposed to fix this little quirk but apparently it doesnt but i dont have 1GB x2 modules to test myself)

the Command Rate though can really stabilize those 1GB modules...whether you need 1T or 2T or need to drop your divider even more...

then again, we aren't sure if the 5/10 bios does fix Value Select Corsair problems...that memory has never worked correctly on our NF4 boards....the 5/10- was supposed to try and help, but we need to hear from users like you if it actually does... ;)

I'll give it a try with 2T and see what happens. I may just RMA the memory and pick up something a little more kickass.

[Edit] Two things - one, I had my memory set to "Fast" which it is definitely not. That helped me boot up with 240x10. Wouldn't boot with 240x11, though. Switched it to 2T and it is now booted at 240x11. This is with 5/6 mem divider of course. Seems fairly stable (no long term test, obviously, but prime 95 runs a while with no crashes).

Going to try to see if I can do 240x12.

Nope, even taking out one of the 1Gig sticks, still won't boot into windows at 240x12. I think I'm going to return the Corsair VS and get a couple sticks of Mushkin Redline 4000. That seems to be the memory that's all the rage these days. I'll only have 1gig of ram, but that'll only hurt me when I'm trying to run virtual machines on my PC, which won't be that often. And then I should be able to make this baby fly, and hopefully at 2-2-2 1T 1:1.

-Nate

IF YOU ARE NOT USING 3.3V OR MORE DO NOT ENABLE THE JUMPER!!!!!

*ahem*

only use that jumper if you are using 3.3v or more vdimm...otherwise its too stressful since the regulator has to drop even more voltage and it gets much much hotter (and its just a bad idea, trust me)

i dont know of anyone using VX below it's rated speed unless the cpu is completely maxed out before the memory is (ie my San Diego 4000+ @ 240x12...im sure it will go higher, but that is where i stopped fooling with it as it was 12h+ prime95 stable etc).

4000VX is DDR500 rated, and just about everyone using it is doing 250HTT 1:1 with it, some guys are getting 260-270 with it...and it is running way way better than it's rated timings of 3-3-8-3 (we run it at high voltage @ 2-2-5-2 etc)

Ok Angry,

I just installed my PC4000 VX last night, tightend up the timings, upped the voltage to 3.3 using the jumper trick you mentioned, and let it memtest all night. 9 hours straight. Wierd thing is that I had 12 errors in Test 5 on Pass 1, but no more errors for the rest of the run...

So now I'm at 11x255, and tweaking, still at 3.3 volts. Gonna try for another Database OC soon :nod:

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip ;)

whoever entered a 939 DB entry I deleted it because the main screens for prime95/cpu-z were too small...i couldnt even read any of the test on it.

please make sure when you make an entry into the DB you do everything CORRECTLY.

Guest Kronos
whoever entered a 939 DB entry I deleted it because the main screens for prime95/cpu-z were too small...i couldnt even read any of the test on it.

please make sure when you make an entry into the DB you do everything CORRECTLY.

Damn, for a split-second I thought you deleted my post... ;)

Can I assume since my entry wasn't deleted that it meets all the requirements?

ill host your images...keep them in bmp format and zip them up (if you do not zip up bmp's, my email will reject them) and email them to link in my sig. I'll host them and give you the links (i'll even crop/edit them if you keep them full-sized)

My print screen will not work and everytime I use it nothing happens. I have run the prime 95 a third time now just to get all that requirements on MS Paint. Ten hours ago it went for 9 hrs+ at 250 x 10 / 200, now I got it at 255 x 10 / 200, and its over 8 hrs. Can someone help me out here please? I have not used the printscreen button before now.

print-screen button = up there next to scroll lock button and pause/break button (to the right of your F- function keys like F12 etc, and above your Insert/Delete keys)

hit it, open paint, Edit- Paste and there it is...if not, better find a keyboard that works correctly