Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

I need your help guys.... A real bad start to 2006 perhaps there is some truth in what

badboy was saying if it is i am sorry.

But anyway

I just spoke to overclockers on the phone and they said the ram is flagging up NO errors

and is working perfectly and is being sent back to me! , with me it was working fine for a month but gave many bsods ... when i tested memtest i got flagged up thousands of errors within 10mins, every setting it wouldnt work!

What do i do?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if they are so different, as if something has been revised and fixed, I'd like to think that Crucial would do a product recall on the faulty batches. It would be a terrific marketing opportunity if they fessed up to a problem and saw to it that it was put right with their customers.

Maybe the first set I had would not have failed had I used them on my Abit mobo instead? Who knows, but as you can guess, not every set of these they've sold have failed, so a recall would probably be premature at this point.

If you have problems with yours, just RMA them. Crucial seems to be really keen at taking care of their customers when there is a problem from what I'm reading here.

That sucks. Suggestion:

When you get them back, if you plan on running them that far below spec, you may want to tighten your timings some. I'd use CAS 2.5-3-2-6 or somewhere around that. This memory does not seem to like loose timings at slow fsb.

If you are certain you made no bios changes between the time the ram was working and the time things started going down hill, chances are that ram is defective, though just like mine, when it first started dying, I could adjust timings and voltage and that would stabilize it for a few days. In the end, well we all know the story from there.

This is what i sent to them

-

Regarding the above memory i understand it is working perfectly, would you be

able to tell me what memory settings

in bios was used?

-

This is the reply

-

Dear ,

SPD timings at 500MHz (250 MHz DDR/ PC 4000)

Regards,

-

I WAS NEVER able to get it to work at 250mhz with spd timings

i couldnt even get into windows instant BSOD, did these tossers

even test the damn ram?

p.s im not a fan of overclockers uk

I live down the road from overclockers, they're rip offs and its cheaper online.

You need ask them what motherboard they tested them on, It seems DFI and ABIT have the worst luck, They probly used gigabyte or epox knowing them. Aint seen any problems with this memory on them boards.

Send it back to Crucial for RMA.

Crucial would hand out RMA numbers like candy.

I just wish they would acknowledge this problem, instead of cheerfully handing out RMA numbers... When I RMA'd my dead tracers, they didn't even ask the reason or any details of my technical skills of the product. Just BAM! Here you go, your RMA#!

I live down the road from overclockers, they're rip offs and its cheaper online.

You need ask them what motherboard they tested them on, It seems DFI and ABIT have the worst luck, They probly used gigabyte or epox knowing them. Aint seen any problems with this memory on them boards.

Ive just emailed them now asking what boards they tested the ram on

and if they used active cooling or not.

I just spoke to overclockers on the phone and they said the ram is flagging up NO errors

and is working perfectly and is being sent back to me! , with me it was working fine for a month but gave many bsods ... when i tested memtest i got flagged up thousands of errors within 10mins, every setting it wouldnt work!

What do i do?

It is not unusal for slightly broken electronics to start working again after several days or weeks of not using it. Common problem with warranty claims.

Guest badboy
^ Perhaps a warning to badboy then, as he is going exactly along the same line

as Yankee :)

Mine are still working and I don't even have active cooling on them. :) I don't have any problems with any games when using the memory.

It is not unusal for slightly broken electronics to start working again after several days or weeks of not using it. Common problem with warranty claims.

Just what my dad said aswell :eek:

Bugger lets hope they are still working when i get them back :mad: