Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

LOL I love how people are trying to defend crucial so hard... they think its a user-error until it finally happens to them. Let me show you a classic example from a poster named yankee.

I just wanted to toss my opinion in here....

If anyone is going to buy a 'high end' product, I would assume you would take care of it. So if this RAM costs $300, then why not spend a few more bucks for a fan to cool it. It's not rocket science. I understand that they should include a disclaimer if it's needed, but if you guys are finding that it runs hot and needs active cooling.... GIVE IT ACTIVE COOLING.

If you have money to drop on high end products, you have money to take care of it and keep it running.

LOL Well that is truly unfortunate. I hate to say it, but buying any computer component is the luck of the draw. There is always a possibility you will get a crap product. I have yet to have ANY problems w/ mine, so I really can't relate to other's problems in this thread.

BTW, you have TWO 80mm fans dedicated to cooling your RAM? What case do you have?

You can't just count the ppl in this thread. Remember, this is a forum to solve problems. Normally people don't come here just to say "Hey, this stuff works great!"

You're only going to see the people having problems, so keep that in mind while reading here. Again, you can't just say these Crucial sticks are bad just because others are having problems. If you did that, then every DFI board would be 'bad' because that is the component that 90% of the people in this forum have a problem with.

I can see where you're coming from. However, there are still 'few' running 2x1GB Ballistix relative to this DFI Community. If you are comparing total OCZ users to total Ballistix users, OCZ vastly outnumber Ballistix. Now I believe this is the underlying reason why so many OCZ users are content. They have 100's of 'helpers' on this forum because everyone and their mom is using them. And since so many are using OCZ, almost any setup you can possible come up with that chances are someone is bound to have the same in this forum. Therefore, finding the proper help for that RAM isn't too difficult. Now this 2x1GB Ballistix setup is relatively 'new' to these forums. I don't mean new to the market, I mean the 2GB setup in general. I think that it's only a matter of time before more buy this RAM (if they aren't deterred already) resulting in more possible help in the future.

However, that is only one possible answer. I do believe OCZ Reps have been a little more helpful as far as posting settings and timings for people have problems. I noticed Crucial just says 'it works for these settings' and that's it. So that could also be a problem. But who am I to say who is doing a good job and who isn't.

My RAM is working fine, and as I stated earlier in this thread, I am willing to give my settings/timings w/ my setup if they PM me. I have already helped 2 people that sent me a PM, and from what I see they are running just fine now.

Keep in mind, it's all relative.

And then a few weeks later:

Noooooooo! Now my RAM is messing up. It's beginning to happen when I'm gaming. It'll give me a mem address, but flashes too quickly for me to see fully.

I'm going to run mem test tonight and see what I get. This really pisses me off because I thought I had a good set. Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as everyone else here.

Very Funny! He thought everyone that had problems with Ballistix was a newbie until it finally affected him also!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt in my mind that my memory exhibited the same failure pattern as seen throught this thread. Memory started out great but as time went on, I'd have to constantly adjust either voltage or my timings to keep the system stable. Finally, no matter what I adjusted, the sticks ran errors. I've had my replacements for about a month now and they run 3-3-3-7 2.6v @280 fsb with no problems so far.

Not trying to defend Crucial and this is not the first time I've had components fail. In Crucial's defense, I think it should be said that they do create enthusiasts products that let you play around in that bleeding edge 'zone' and for me, I'm willing to accept that sometimes a situation like this will happen.

If my replacements do go bad, I'll just consider these modules as defective by design and try something else, as I'm sure Crucial may do as well. So far though, my hope is that the design is solid and that were just some manufacturing problems with a few runs of these chips instead, because these are so sweet when they work!

Yes man, its obvious that this isnt to do with OC'ing or lack of cooling. Its a fault with the memory. Great shame cause they rule when they work. I got an XP-120 HS and 120mm Papst fan on NF4-DR so mine actually have active cooling from the processor fan cause of where the dimm slots are, they ran cool as ice in my computer and still went.

There nearly 40 pages now just on this site so its blatently an error in the sticks

Very Funny! He thought everyone that had problems with Ballistix was a newbie until it finally affected him also!

Meh, so you laugh at someone else's misfortune? I don't think people are being Crucial fanboys, they're simply aghast or disbelieving that something this good can go bad in this way. And as for Neil going on about "excuses"... look, the issue is:

1/ It's brilliant RAM when it works properly.

2/ Many people find that performance degrades to an unusable state in 3 months or less.

3/ Nobody knows why.

The reason "excuses" (a.k.a. incomplete theories) are put forward is (3); everyone is trying to work out exactly what is wrong. If it looks like people are clutching at straws to explain it, well, it's because there is no other lead to follow. Just trying to find common features to these failures is hard enough. Laughing at the misery of fellow sufferers doesn't help.

Guest ElAguila

You left out one item. Before you start blaming the users saying they did something wrong, read the entire thread before putting forth your "user is to blame" theory.

Meh, so you laugh at someone else's misfortune? I don't think people are being Crucial fanboys, they're simply aghast or disbelieving that something this good can go bad in this way. And as for Neil going on about "excuses"... look, the issue is:

1/ It's brilliant RAM when it works properly.

2/ Many people find that performance degrades to an unusable state in 3 months or less.

3/ Nobody knows why.

The reason "excuses" (a.k.a. incomplete theories) are put forward is (3); everyone is trying to work out exactly what is wrong. If it looks like people are clutching at straws to explain it, well, it's because there is no other lead to follow. Just trying to find common features to these failures is hard enough. Laughing at the misery of fellow sufferers doesn't help.

I wasn't laughing at his misfortunes... and I do not laugh "at the misery of fellow sufferers".

I was simply laughing at the fact that he blamed the problem on users until the problem finally affected him as well.

I just wanted to toss my opinion in here....

If anyone is going to buy a 'high end' product, I would assume you would take care of it. So if this RAM costs $300, then why not spend a few more bucks for a fan to cool it. It's not rocket science. I understand that they should include a disclaimer if it's needed, but if you guys are finding that it runs hot and needs active cooling.... GIVE IT ACTIVE COOLING.

My RAM is working fine, and as I stated earlier in this thread, I am willing to give my settings/timings w/ my setup if they PM me. I have already helped 2 people that sent me a PM, and from what I see they are running just fine now.

Noooooooo! Now my RAM is messing up. It's beginning to happen when I'm gaming. It'll give me a mem address, but flashes too quickly for me to see fully.

I'm going to run mem test tonight and see what I get. This really pisses me off because I thought I had a good set. Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as everyone else here.

Are they running with a CR of 1T or 2T? I been running mine at 260mhz+ 1:1 3,3,3,8 1T for nearly 3 months now and have no problem at all. Look at the attachment I added and you will see that I am running at 260mhz 1:1 at 2.8v.

At least it is running in mine. :nod:

^ Perhaps a warning to badboy then, as he is going exactly along the same line

as Yankee :)

i know that CrucialLabs is in no way obligated to post on this forum, but his absense for several weeks now makes me believe that he was instructed to keep his mouth shut until crucial figures out what is going on.

Well I agree with what you guys have to say. I will see what happens to mine, hopefully they don't go out on me. How do you make sure your memory is bad? Run the memtest and look for a whole bunch of errors? When you call newegg to tell them you want to RMA the sticks, you tell just tell them the memory is bad and they just say send it back.

i know that CrucialLabs is under no way obligated to post on this forum, but his absense for several weeks now makes me believe that he was instructed to keep his mouth shut until crucial figures out what is going on.

good point, you might be right.

my RMA'd sticks have arrived at crucial, now i'm just waiting for the return sticks.