Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

If they haven't got a clue what the problem is, and if they haven't fixed it, it can explain why they don't want to ship out replacements right away. But then again it could be that they don't have enough sticks to send out. Why they have sticks to send if you call and push them might aswell be cause they feel forced to send them out before really knowing if they have resolved the problem.

You don't have to listen to me but I just write my thoughts here...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They said that the new chip revision that's in the new sticks doesn't have problems like the old ones did and you can go and buy Tracers on their site, they're just having issues supplying non-Tracer sticks for some weird reason. They should be identical except for the heatspreader and fancy LED's.

yeah, i wonder why the old tracers don't have this problem? is it because they're just not as popular as the standard ballistix?

sure would be nice to hear from the curiously silent CRUCIAL REP GUY right about now......

I thought I saw a couple of bad Tracer sets in this thread, but yes, they were probably not as popular. They should divert more of their chip supply from the Tracers to the regular stuff, since they're not even able to supply replacements to past customers, let alone sell any.

I've got an easy solution for everyone. Why not just buy a 2gb kit of G.Skill PC4000 Extreme HZ's and clock the snot out of them. Mine run happily at 3-4-8-3 at 520mhz effective and only at 2.6v

Well its now the 19th, they said they'd be in stock on the 15th (satuarday :confused: ) but i rang them yesterday. THey said they have them in and im on the list to have them posted. My order says 'in progress' still!!!

I take back the compliments i had about there customer service, id just like them to be honest and id be happy. Obviously i was wrong about that as well. Gone down yet another notch in my books. I will try these new ones with the modified chips but if they fail again, there will be hell to pay. Im patient but enough is enough

I was thinking of using the settings listed in the SSDB but I think those were made using the old chips. I'm not sure how different the new ones act but hopefully they will work well with those. I'm not sure what settings to use otherwise.

I tried using the settings in the SSDB but so far, I can't even get the computer to enter Memtest at 225. Anything above that gets progressively worse with POST issues. I let it do one pass at 200 and that seemed to go okay. I guess I'll just have to mess with settings now to see if I can get it somewhat stable. They are running quite warm during MT86 @ 2.76v...

Edit: I changed my settings over to a set that THunDA posted in the S939 OCDB thread. That seems to have gotten it a little bit more stable, although the board still locks up during POST/BIOS browsing occasionally. I have it Memtesting at 230 right now, and not a single error has shown up today. Before, if my RAM was so unstable that it caused POST issues, it would immediately puke in MT86, but it's not doing that. I wonder if it's my Opty's memory controller being anal. I upped the Vcore to 1.425 and dropped the RAM to 2.66, I'll let it run overnight.

Erm, thats bad, these sticks are meant be 250 with ease. Im still waiting so im going ring them later on. I e-mailed them with no reply, except for some stupid letter with £5 off, they having a joke or what???

This might sound obvious but have you got them in the orange socket, they work better in that one

Yeah, I have them in the orange slots. So far, MT86 has been running for almost 7 hours and it still hasn't shown any errors. I wonder what the heck all of the instability is caused by then. Perhaps I should try booting into Windows and running Prime95. Maybe I need to set them to 2T for some reason. The longer I run MT86, the more I think it may be my memory controller.

Edit: It passed 18 hours of MT86+ and 1 hour, 14 minutes of dual blend Prime95. Any thoughts on the memory controller? Windows has been stable so far...